British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Air Force (RCAF and CAF) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   My favorite pilot's wings (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67767)

Infanteer 06-05-18 02:13 AM

My favorite pilot's wings

1 Attachment(s)
These wings are mounted on a tunic in my collection and is by far my favorite war vintage insignia in my collection. Love the quality. The owner of the tunic was a Halifax bomber pilot who was shot down during the war and spent a stint as a POW.

David Tremain 06-05-18 02:09 PM

Interesting wings. I've never seen a 'C' so prominent on RCAF wings before.
David

irish 06-05-18 02:30 PM

Indeed, unique pattern. I like it. Thanks for posting
Jack

Frank Kelley 06-05-18 02:54 PM

I can see why you like them, not only a superb example of an RCAF wing, but, a provenance too, very nice indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infanteer (Post 442830)
These wings are mounted on a tunic in my collection and is by far my favorite war vintage insignia in my collection. Love the quality. The owner of the tunic was a Halifax bomber pilot who was shot down during the war and spent a stint as a POW.

Roy 06-05-18 04:28 PM

Thanks for sharing,

Very nice indeed - well done...!

Cheers,

Roy

Infanteer 07-05-18 12:28 AM

I wonder if it the manufacturer simply took an existing RAF pattern and superimposed the "C". Is there anything that would indicate where the badge was made? Canada or England?

Frank Kelley 07-05-18 11:18 AM

If he or she did, then I would assume the red thread was also added to the crown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infanteer (Post 442900)
I wonder if it the manufacturer simply took an existing RAF pattern and superimposed the "C". Is there anything that would indicate where the badge was made? Canada or England?

RCAF_Mike 07-05-18 02:42 PM

The manufacturer did indeed take an RAF wing pattern trademarked to them and added a "C." Please check the label inside the tunic, I wager the manufacturer is Austin Reed? This is a signature wing of theirs. A rare one in the RCAF variety. Nice find

Tanker Mike 07-05-18 04:35 PM

Very interesting wing, thanks for sharing.

Mike

Infanteer 08-05-18 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCAF_Mike (Post 442943)
The manufacturer did indeed take an RAF wing pattern trademarked to them and added a "C." Please check the label inside the tunic, I wager the manufacturer is Austin Reed? This is a signature wing of theirs. A rare one in the RCAF variety. Nice find

Indeed! Austin Reed of Regent Street.

RCAF_Mike 08-05-18 03:47 PM

Their pattern is very distinct. Every type of this wing I have seen on a tunic (about 10 now) have all been Austin Reeds. I have both loose pilots, RAF and RCAF, as well as an RAAF RO half wing in the same pattern. The only Aircrew I think I have seen privately tailored by them!

Wingnut 16-05-18 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
British version of no ā€œCā€ and no red in crown. The RAF wing I have seen on several tunics made by Austin Reed. The RCAF I have also seen on Austin Reed. This pair from my collection.

Infanteer 17-05-18 02:59 AM

Nice, I hope that I can find one of the RAF wings someday.

mechanicdar 22-12-18 11:03 PM

Half wing AG

Hello

Just joined the forum, and I have question I hope someone on here can answer for me. I picked up a half wing AG brevet and I know normally they came with a wing a reef and then the AG in the center. The one I found tho has all that but a crown on top and RAF at the bottom and i was wondering if someone can tell me why.

Thanks, I am not sure how to start a new thread so I looked for a existing thread talking about brevets.