British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   anodised? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31290)

sketchley kid 10-04-13 03:33 PM

anodised?

1 Attachment(s)
Help please, these are supposed to come from 'Grove Manufacturing, Bham.
(closed 1962)
I have inquired of seller (who in fairness is not a badge seller but has a lot of these) if they are anodised/staybrite...
reply was that he had no idea but they were not magnetic.....
what do you think?

Mike_2817 10-04-13 03:36 PM

Have had this problem with badges in the past becouse of flash, not being able to make out if a badge is Bi-Metal or Anodised. and some casual sellers cannot tell the differance.

2747andy 10-04-13 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would not like to say if they are anodised aluminium or another metal, what I would say however, is that the SASC badge has a crown shape common to that only found on reproduction badges and I've yet to see a single metal chaplains badge in anything other than black or OSD Bze finish! If they are made by Grove MFG it will show the mark on the slider or shank fittings, regardless of the metal from which they are struck! Ask to see the backs, although the LG might be lugged and the Chaplains Dept on blades so may not bear a mark?

Ano top, Gm bottom.

Andy

2747andy 10-04-13 04:28 PM

Having had a better look I see it is a RHG badge and not LG so again in the wrong colour finish and having consulted Chris Marsh's definative book, Grove who made very few anodised badges do not appear to have made badges to any of the Regiments/Corps shown. The Bays also did not come in A/A.

Andy

sketchley kid 10-04-13 08:58 PM

post subject

Reply from seller, no markings!!
They are £6 plus 60p postage!!

hagwalther 10-04-13 11:56 PM

Hi Guys,

Difficult to say what they are but I suggest that they are not A/A.

Beware of a lot of ACF/CCF badges too - they look like A/A but are made of some sort of tin material with the colouring easily being rubbed off.

Regards

Chris

41st 11-04-13 02:51 AM

Chris,
Did Grove make one for the RWF?
Regards,
Kevin

hagwalther 11-04-13 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41st (Post 208581)
Chris,
Did Grove make one for the RWF?
Regards,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

There are two Royal Welch Fusiliers badges in A/A and I only have information on them being made by Firmin and Hughes.

The early badge, with shank, I have by Firmin and Hughes and the later one, with lugs, only by Firmin.

Possibly this will change as time goes on and collectors take a closer look at their collections.

Regards

Chris

sketchley kid 11-04-13 09:37 AM

post subject

These are in the 'Queen's Bays' section on ebay No.281090670270
the seller has more among his other sales. all from Groves.

William 11-04-13 10:20 AM

From the Ebay ad 281090670270, at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2810906702...270%26_rdc%3D1

it is very clear that none of the badges have any sliders, loops or any other kind of fittings. As stated by other members, above, it is difficult to tell what metal they are made from; it cd as likely be AA as anything else.

Be interested to hear from any member who buys from this ad.

sketchley kid 11-04-13 10:40 AM

post subject

I only found it because I follow Queen's Bays/2DG and the Grove makers interested me.
I have no interest in anodised /staybrite but I do have a 'Sherwood Rangers' badge, a pair of RRF titles and collar badges and a REME in anodised if anyone wants to swap anything.

54Bty 11-04-13 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 208598)
From the Ebay ad 281090670270, at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2810906702...270%26_rdc%3D1

it is very clear that none of the badges have any sliders, loops or any other kind of fittings. As stated by other members, above, it is difficult to tell what metal they are made from; it cd as likely be AA as anything else.

Be interested to hear from any member who buys from this ad.

You found it, you buy one, and then lets us all know. :D

Marc :):)

sketchley kid 11-04-13 01:17 PM

post subject

For £6-60 we can chip in and buy one between us!:o

Mike H 11-04-13 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagwalther (Post 208583)
Hi Kevin,

There are two Royal Welch Fusiliers badges in A/A and I only have information on them being made by Firmin and Hughes.

The early badge, with shank, I have by Firmin and Hughes and the later one, with lugs, only by Firmin.

Possibly this will change as time goes on and collectors take a closer look at their collections.

Regards

Chris

Although Firmins altered the lugs from two singles to a "U" shaped bar with holes either end.If i can find the packet i will let you know the date of manufacture.

sketchley kid 11-04-13 09:03 PM

post subject

1 Attachment(s)
Mike--------this is the SRY badge, 10pence coin for size.