British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introduction Zone (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Manchester Fany & VAD's (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80122)

Gerryd 03-08-20 07:02 AM

Manchester Fany & VAD's

2 Attachment(s)
My name is Pete but there must be lots of Peters on here so I'm known as Gerry I answer to either.
I'm not particularly into badges and my main interest is in WW1 watches and thats what has lead me here.
I have a watch known as a Borgel cased watch dated around 1917/18 that was presented to a lady who was living near Manchester and in 1914 volunteered to drive a British Red Cross ambulance. In 1918 along with her youngest sister left Manchester and severed with the FANY in and around Calais.
I have researched on the internet and gathered a lot of back ground information but I'm hoping that there may be someone on the forum to help me out further with specific knowledge about the BRCS in Manchester and the type of badge she would have worn in both places if the were different.
Pete aka Gerry

mike_vee 03-08-20 08:17 AM

One of the forum members , Home Guard (Terry) has an interest in FANY/VAD badges etc. Perhaps he can help ?

Gerryd 03-08-20 08:23 AM

Mike do you think he'll look here or would it be better to pm him?

Pete

mike_vee 03-08-20 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerryd (Post 518245)
Mike do you think he'll look here or would it be better to pm him?

Pete

He is from Tennessee , so there may be a 'time lag'. PM may be a good idea as you could ask specific questions etc.

Gerryd 03-08-20 09:24 AM

I think I may have answered my own question, found this in old threads

First Aid Nursing Yeomanry
By Army Order 94 of 31st March 1927 it was re-designated First Aid Nrusing Yeomany (Ambulance Car Corps) and again changed in 1933 to Women's Transport Corps (F.A.N.Y.).

So I suspect that nurses and ambulance drivers were issued or bought the same badge that had Womens Transport Service as it appears the nurse element did not appear till 1927?
Of course that opens another can for me what did the volunteer men have as insignia ?

49lassiepen 03-08-20 09:55 AM

Not sure what you mean by volunteer men
Would be badged to R A M C and male V A D would have worn the red cross badge as the females with the unit s/t in metal or cloth Male odd numbers to s/t ,females even numbers
David

Gerryd 03-08-20 10:36 AM

Right I'm no expert here but the British Red Cross consisted of both male and female volunteers and VADS we're made up of men and women "FANY" seems to be associated with the females thats all?
The women wore the badge with Womens TransPort Service but I have seen other volunteer drivers such as vicars and they weren't enlisted so I was wondering if they had a separate insignia ?
Is see photographs of FANY nurses with the same insignia ?
Not sure of the unit s/t?

manchesters 03-08-20 10:49 AM

Hello,

The BRCS and FANY were two different and separate organisations.

Your watch seems to be BRCS rather than FANY.

See here for details:-

https://vad.redcross.org.uk/~/media/...orld%20War.pdf

regards

Gerryd 03-08-20 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ah I thought they were the same so possibly Red Cross insignia .
She left England for France at the begging of 1918 and I think thats when the watch was presented to her. Her records state she was FANY at this point and based maybe with French forces at Calais.
So it maybe she was a VAD from 1914 late 1817 in and around Manchester

manchesters 03-08-20 11:16 AM

Gerry,

The watch was awarded to an M. FISHER.

How does the females IRC card above relate to it?

regards

leigh kitchen 03-08-20 11:18 AM

First Name:
Jane Gytha
Surname:
Fisher
Nationality:
British
Information:
Department: V.A.D.
V.A.D. Ch
Service Number:
cert no. 17206 passport no. 192162
Duty Location:
France
Service:
Civilian
Organisation:
Red Cross

British Red Cross Voluntary Aid Detachments WW1

WW1 & WW2 Nurses Records.

Gerryd 03-08-20 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 518262)
Gerry,

The watch was awarded to an M. FISHER.

How does the females IRC card above relate to it?

regards

IT doesn't I copied the wrong one thats her sister:(

manchesters 03-08-20 12:20 PM

i WOULD SAY SHE WAS A brcs MEMBER IN THE uk AND THEN VOLUNTEERED FOR SERVICE ABROAD IN 1918 AND JOINED THE fany.

tHE WATCH SEEMS TO BE A LEAVING PRESENT AT THE TIME SHE LEFT THE brcs TO JOIN THE fany.

sORRY for the capitals.

regards

49lassiepen 03-08-20 12:50 PM

As Leigh's post at the time of the watch she would have worn red cross cap badge From her service no and location you may be able to find out if the V A D unit had it's own s/t
David

manchesters 03-08-20 01:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

As she lived in Altrincham that was then part of Cheshire.

She would therefore have been in 140/Cheshire V.A.D. the Female Detachment for the town and the Commandant was Miss E.A. James, 5 Westgate, Hale.

They could have had their own cap badge like the Norfolk example I have shown below but with 140 and Cheshire on it.

They would also have worn a metal shoulder title with 140 and Cheshire on it as per the examples I also show below,.

regards