British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   RAF Winged Boot (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79710)

billy 12-07-20 10:04 AM

RAF Winged Boot

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all please could I ask your advice on this Winged Boot, for authenticity and what ought I to be considering on a reasonable price? I know you pay up to and over if you really want it! But need a guide to go by! And especially if a copy I would be gutted!

The Hallmarks on it refer to Egypt one is visable the other isn't have asked seller to send more but can't get through just yet? Many thanks in advance Billy

dragon166 12-07-20 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This looks like a copy to me. The finish overall is too smooth and is most probably a jeweller made item. All the real items I have seen are much rougher castings. I also think it was unlikely that they were hallmarked at the time they were made. Attached is a pic of one that I believe is real.
Dave

Frank Kelley 12-07-20 11:04 AM

I think that is of recent manufacture, to be quite honest, those badges and similar, Caterpillar Cub and so on, are really best bought as part of a well documented and therefore completely verified group to a particular recipient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy (Post 515801)
Hi all please could I ask your advice on this Winged Boot, for authenticity and what ought I to be considering on a reasonable price? I know you pay up to and over if you really want it! But need a guide to go by! And especially if a copy I would be gutted!

The Hallmarks on it refer to Egypt one is visable the other isn't have asked seller to send more but can't get through just yet? Many thanks in advance Billy

Wooffy 12-07-20 11:26 AM

There have been many of these on eBay in recent months, and there are many on there now (even cloth badges!). Prices for them range, one that looks close to the example Dave has shown - went for £360.

Personally, without good provenance I would be reluctant to purchase any of these. Frank's suggestion of a known group is the best idea for that kind of money in my opinion.

billy 12-07-20 02:55 PM

Thank you all, one of my dream to find badges! All the best billy

arrestingu 12-07-20 04:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
...my original ...you can tell the difference between originals and copies the more you look at the real examples !!
Best wishes
Steve

billy 15-07-20 07:10 PM

Winged Flying Boot

3 Attachment(s)
Have been sent better images by the seller, well they where till I cropped them and now they look like this! You can seevthe Cat a lot better but others?

arrestingu 15-07-20 07:28 PM

They are still 100% fake !! Lol

billy 15-07-20 09:05 PM

Yeah! Got it Steve and thanks! putting up here for people to see and not buy similar! Would hate it if a member bought obe when a decent picture could have prevented it! Msny thanks to all for there thoughts billy

billy 28-01-21 08:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all resurrecting this thread as a friend just shown me a recent buy, so am loading here for your thoughts on it and so he knows please post your thoughts on it please.

Bought a month ago so is returning still possible and if he meets resistance from seller has he some recourse? (Identical to one I listed, before Forum highlighted the wrongness of it!) This is from the same mould by the look of it though not Hallmarked and broach fitting against my loops!

Would contacting Ebay and saying badge a Forgery get any attention? What would beca next step to takecto get reimbursed?

Many thanks Billy

dragon166 29-01-21 01:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think this is the same die as the item you originally posted but with the lugs replaced by the pin. Still a fake and nothing like the known real items as shown in the posts above. The originals were mainly made of brass and silver plated. The reverses were much rougher and the wing had three sets of feathers not two. I think he should contact the vendor about return of the item and if nothing forthcoming he should contact ebay re the fakery.
Dave

billy 29-01-21 06:36 AM

Dave its Jasons badge! Told him it's similar (Identical!! comparing to original posting), as stated Lugs - Hallmarks are out and pin fastener - Silver mark are In, but a month has gone by, by contacting Ebay or Paypal and saying this is an actual fake will they Act On It?

How to push this forward to get his money back is what I would like to hear and if Forum members have had similar, and have an outcome how did they do it?

All the best billy

Frank Kelley 29-01-21 08:02 AM

Despite the passage of time I think there might be a chance if it was offered as original and paid for via a card, it should be returned with a note stating it is not original and therefore not as described and then let the paypal/card company deal with the matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy (Post 536775)
Hi all resurrecting this thread as a friend just shown me a recent buy, so am loading here for your thoughts on it and so he knows please post your thoughts on it please.

Bought a month ago so is returning still possible and if he meets resistance from seller has he some recourse? (Identical to one I listed, before Forum highlighted the wrongness of it!) This is from the same mould by the look of it though not Hallmarked and broach fitting against my loops!

Would contacting Ebay and saying badge a Forgery get any attention? What would beca next step to takecto get reimbursed?

Many thanks Billy

billy 29-01-21 07:57 PM

Thanks Frank I will check this out with him all the best billy

billy 29-01-21 08:59 PM

Result! He has been offered a full refund said he himself had bought the badge in good faith, until I get sellers name thus could be true? Just him moving on a badge he thought real? When I get the namecI will post, all the best billy