British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Who collects what? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53996)

arrestingu 01-06-16 02:39 PM

I now collect pre 1945 aviation badges of the world. Items from the Easter Rising 1916,Tank Corps,Napoleonic badges,and Polish pilot / Warsaw uprising items. Basically anything that rocks my boat !! :)
cheers
Steve

oc14 01-06-16 03:10 PM

I collect Cadet Force insignia - with a special interest in anything to Yorkshire Cadet units. Also interested in anything relating to Worksop College OTC/JTC/CCF. As a recent sideline I also collect (somewhat bizarrely) Bundeswehr Insignia.

PL

Traist 02-06-16 05:53 AM

I collect South African Military and Police badges, all periods. I concentrate on metal badges, but have some cloth items that tickled my fancy. Regards Andrew

GTB 02-06-16 06:27 AM

I'm a general all-rounder, ready to give a home to anything that takes my fancy. In my early days of collecting I would amass (accept/hoard) anything and everything. Now I am more discerning but have a soft spot for Maltese insignia, medal ribbons, buttons. Always delighted to fill in gaps to the British Army.
GTB

rmarsden 02-06-16 07:31 AM

GTB, I used to work for Toly Malta spent many happy times there in the 70/80s.
Miss the sunshine!

GTB 02-06-16 10:00 AM

Had a couple of heat waves recently. No winter this year - stepped from Autumn straight into Spring. Temp currently 30 degrees.
I don't know how long you have been collecting but you may recall that just across the road from the Industrial Estate where Toly Products are situated, there was a HUGE nissen hut full of army surplus, equipment, uniforms, WW2 militaria, etc. The owner went by the nickname of "Pickles" (locally pronounced "Pick Less"!!)
GTB

guBulawayo 17-07-16 11:17 AM

My main collection is Rhodesian Buttons of any period (I am preparing a booklet on these buttons), British South Africa Police (various members of my family served in the BSAP) - I also have a small collection of Rhodesian Air Force, Rhodesia Regiment and Rhodesia Prison Services insignia

Outside of badges, I collect Minaiture Medal Groups as well as interesting Ribbon bars

Wayne

badgecollector 17-07-16 11:46 AM

hi guys
i collect whatever takes my fancy but my main interest and specialty is australian badges of all periods.
cheers
bc

btns 17-07-16 03:21 PM

I collect buttons, using my wits and a small budget. I prefer maritime buttons and topics few people fancy.

Frank Kelley 17-07-16 07:17 PM

Topics that few people fancy normally indicates bargains to be had!:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by btns (Post 368410)
I collect buttons, using my wits and a small budget. I prefer maritime buttons and topics few people fancy.

Destro1918 17-07-16 07:32 PM

badges

Prison services UK and overseas
Lincolnshire Regiment
Variations of the Royal Military Police
and as others have said, what ever takes my eye on the day....

tynesideirish 18-07-16 03:34 PM

Sadly in the past I've collected far too much to many different Regiments, without rhyme or reason. I see something I like and think 'that'll make a good collection' :) I buy everything I can find on it and then get bored or find something better... and I'm stuck with loads of items to be sold off for a pittance. :(

Now I've come to my senses and I'm concentrating :rolleyes: on L&BIY and it's decendants.

The odd Northumbrian or Lowlands goodie (if anyone has a Duns RV buckle I'll buy it.)

Royal Artillery Signaller postcards.

btns 18-07-16 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 368436)
Topics that few people fancy normally indicates bargains to be had!:)

Yes, but it is a matter of supply and demand and when sellers may be ignorant, bidders are not.
Here is a favourite: smelly victorian ladies being carted into the sea for a dip.
Royal Sea Bathing Hospital Margate.

fairlie63 19-07-16 04:02 AM

The 'gun' badge, grenade collars, NCOs 'guns' and embroidered/printed red letters on blue shoulder titles for all British Commonwealth artillery 1902-current.
All to Australian Artillery 1903-current.
All post 1987 Australian Army unit colour patches and post 1964 anodised shoulder titles.
The biggest enjoyment of the collecting I think is the research!

Expat Yeoman 19-07-16 07:26 AM

Having started off with all things anodised (since sold) my main collecting interest is anything to the Essex Yeomanry and predecessor units. These days more researching alongside the collecting.

Also interest in the Royal Welch Fusiliers, Royal Signals and the Essex Regiment as units I've served in / have some affiliation with.

Happy to help where I can.

Michael