British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   KLR band and or cadets? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92887)

billy4294 14-03-23 05:34 PM

KLR band and or cadets?

2 Attachment(s)
Good Evening,
I can't make my my mind up if these young gents are band and or cadets. Any thoughts?
Billyh

manchesters 14-03-23 05:36 PM

Billy,

the Boys of the Band with a couple of Bandsmen NCO's and the RSM.

regards

billy4294 14-03-23 05:40 PM

Thanks Simon
Billyh

billy4294 14-03-23 05:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few close ups.
Billyh

KLR 14-03-23 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy4294 (Post 598787)
A few close ups.
Billyh

Yes they look as though they were wearing Pattern 10042/1926 cap badges

similar badges were 'Foreign Service' badges worn in India at the turn of the century

Though I have just noticed that the left (of the three chaps) was wearing Pattern 4362A/1896 - whereas the other two were wearing the 1926 badge.

billy4294 14-03-23 08:42 PM

Thank you for the information
Billyh

Fatherofthree 14-03-23 09:38 PM

Wow, The RSM is a big fella. :eek:

Wouldn't dare answer him back.

Regards.

brian

billy4294 14-03-23 11:40 PM

Regardless of an RSM's size, you'd have to have a death wish to answer one back. Apart from being switched on, they are generally handy, if you know what I mean. I think it was part of the mandatory criteria.
Fair, but don't get on the wrong side of.
Billyh

CAM 15-03-23 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy4294 (Post 598784)
Good Evening,
I can't make my my mind up if these young gents are band and or cadets. Any thoughts?
Billyh

Billy,

Have you also noticed that policemen are getting younger?

Chris

Toby Purcell 15-03-23 08:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by billy4294 (Post 598784)
Good Evening,
Billyh

They are not just Boys of the band, but the complete contingent of “enlisted boys” for the battalion with the RSM and a band LCpl (probably NCO i/c Boys). They were enlisted on terms that divided them between four categories; the band, the corps of drums, the tailors workshop, and the shoemakers workshop. In the latter two the battalion staff SNCOs in charge were paid a set rate (stipend) for each Boy that they trained to pass the respective trade standard. The Boys were accommodated separately and paid as Boys until reaching adulthood. I collect photos of Boy Entrants and this one is an absolute cracker, thank you for posting it. I enclose similar.

NB. Note the boys who have qualified in the band or corps of drums marked out with bandsman’s or drummers badges and that at that time Boys were qualified to receive the good conduct badge. This latter was not always the case.

billy4294 15-03-23 10:16 AM

Thank you for that additional information Toby. Very interesting.
Chris I didn't notice policemen were getting younger. Just less proactive.
Billyh

Toby Purcell 15-03-23 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy4294 (Post 598836)
Thank you for that additional information Toby. Very interesting.
Chris I didn't notice policemen were getting younger. Just less proactive.
Billyh

Thank you for sharing such a brilliant photo Billy. They only crop up intermittently and so I’m always thrilled to stumble on one I’ve not seen before.

billy4294 16-03-23 04:13 PM

Your welcome Toby.
Billyh

cbuehler 16-03-23 10:09 PM

Fascinating photos. I have always been amazed at the small stature and build of boys and men back then. I am not sure the RSM was actually all that big; just that the boys size reflect the times and their class.
I have collected pre WW1 uniforms for fifty years and have yet to own or see any that would fit my modest 40 inch chest size. Officer uniforms sometimes come close, but not OR. Such a size or more did of course exist, but were few indeed.
I knew a dealer/collector from years ago who used to state that the old British Army were all midgets...

CB

grey_green_acorn 16-03-23 11:10 PM

For most boys and men joining the British Army in the period prior to the Great War the issue of uniform (Service Dress, shirts and underwear) was often the first ‘new’ clothing they had worn!

Tim