British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   signaller badge what are the flags ? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63495)

Jackhr 04-08-17 10:42 PM

signaller badge what are the flags ?

2 Attachment(s)
On the badge you have 2 flags 1 is dark blue other white with a blue stripe down the middle so what do the flags mean??

cheers Jack

green_jas 05-08-17 04:11 AM

I would assume that it is perhaps the signals corps colours? I have seen that patch on black background as well.

Thanks
Jas

green_jas 05-08-17 04:15 AM

If you are asking what the actual flags mean I would think it is a patch to denote the there role, crossed flags as they used flags to signal back in the day. Much like a crossed rifle for Infantry patch.

Someone may have a definitive answer?

Thanks,
Jas

Jackhr 05-08-17 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_jas (Post 415605)
If you are asking what the actual flags mean I would think it is a patch to denote the there role, crossed flags as they used flags to signal back in the day. Much like a crossed rifle for Infantry patch.

Someone may have a definitive answer?

Thanks,
Jas

Thanks Jas but what I would like to know is what does the white flag with blue stripe represent ? ei a word,letter of the alphabet or something else .

Thanks Jack

fairlie63 05-08-17 07:19 AM

Hello Jack,

The dark blue flag is for use for visual signalling with light backgrounds, and the white flag with blue strip is for dark backgrounds.

Your example appears to be a nice early Australian badge, 1904-1920 or so. Perhaps earlier.

Keith

Jackhr 05-08-17 07:53 AM

Thanks Keith for your reply but what would the guys in the photo be doing ,the reason I ask is I have come across a flag and just wanted to know what its purpose was.

Cheers

leigh kitchen 05-08-17 08:06 AM

They're practising signaling, using the flags, presumably (I'm resisting making a joke about Aussie Rules cheerleaders).

fairlie63 05-08-17 08:06 AM

Visual signalling with semaphore. The position of the flags indicated a letter of the alphabet.

badgecollector 05-08-17 08:18 AM

there were a set of cigarette cards all with the semaphores on them.
im sure there available somewhere
here's something for you jack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SulHXA4JbE8
bc

Jackhr 05-08-17 08:22 AM

Thanks guys for all your help but what i want to know is what does the flag mean is it only for practise or does it represent something.

fairlie63 05-08-17 09:06 AM

Jack - the flag has no meaning. If you look at bc's link you will see that it is the position the flag (or both flags in conjunction) is held that denotes the letter of the alphabet, or an action, or a number.

The colour of the flag is so that it can easily be seen against either a dark or a light background depending on the location of the sender and the observer.

Flags stand out much better than waving arms, hence their size, 2 or 3 feet square I think.

It is for sending messages, has been so for hundreds of years (hundreds? maybe a bit less), well before wireless, email or mobile phones. It is a bit like Morse, just with flags instead of a buzzer.

Mike Jackson 05-08-17 09:16 AM

It is for sending messages, has been so for hundreds of years (hundreds? maybe a bit less), well before wireless, email or mobile phones. It is a bit like Morse, just with flags instead of a buzzer.

Read all about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semaphore_line

Jackhr 05-08-17 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairlie63 (Post 415634)
Jack - the flag has no meaning. If you look at bc's link you will see that it is the position the flag (or both flags in conjunction) is held that denotes the letter of the alphabet, or an action, or a number.

The colour of the flag is so that it can easily be seen against either a dark or a light background depending on the location of the sender and the observer.

Flags stand out much better than waving arms, hence their size, 2 or 3 feet square I think.

Thanks Keith you have answered my question, i have seen all the other type of flags and just was not sure if the flag had a meaning(color of it)

Thanks again for your help .............. where is that button :)

wardog 05-08-17 02:33 PM

Could not have used a plain white flag against a dark background- wrong sort of message...No doubt there is record somewhere of how each flag style was chosen. Regards, Paul.

Lancer 17 06-08-17 10:29 AM

The blue and white enamel crossed flags were worn by signals instructors and the men's trade qualification badge is die stamped copper.

We have an example in the Sigs Museum and it has the name of the wearer, however I don't have this detail at home. I hope that helps.

Regards

Phil.