British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ebay rip off and what is Pitney Bowes (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72489)

badgecollector 01-03-19 11:26 PM

Ebay rip off and what is Pitney Bowes

hi all
just purchased a badge from the UK for 7GBP.
negotiated prior the postage of 9GBP
a total of 16GBP. im just happy with this

can someone explain the following
8.45GBP went to the seller
14.92GBP went to Pitney Bowes Limited
WTF

the break down of Pitney Bowes Limited is
IMPORT CHARGES 4.28
DELIVERY 10.64

I don't understand
bc

Phil2M 02-03-19 12:00 AM

Pitney Bowes are a mail handling and shipping company/agent. Amongst other things.

slick_mick 02-03-19 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 470686)
Pitney Bowes are a mail handling and shipping company/agent. Amongst other things.

I do not bid with any seller that ships through them. Nothing but a ripoff.

Mick

Roy 02-03-19 12:20 AM

I agree with the last statement.

Look at the shipping charge, if it's excessive and 'though and agent' then write them and let them know you are not bidding due to this excessive and unreasonable charge. They can always opt out of this.

Roy

kingsley 02-03-19 01:11 AM

Ebay's double dipping "Global Priority" is a total ripoff, twice the price of ordinary Post Office signed-for. In some cases they have made it the default mail system so that a lot of vendors don't know they are using it. They will also not allow combined postage, which means you are paying FOUR times the normal postage if you buy two items.
I won't buy anything, however interesting, that uses it.

John Mulcahy 02-03-19 01:27 AM

I have completely stopped buying anything from e-bay when sellers only use "Global Priority"

fairlie63 02-03-19 03:30 AM

Yes, I'm just in the process of trying to understand what was the GBP4.17 I just got charged in 'import duties' from UK considering it said import duties Nil. I could understand a GBP1.7 GST add-on for the total transaction but it doesn't even mention this.

I never normally bid on anything that has Global Priority shipping but this one seemed straight forward and was only a small sum originally. Lesson learned!

Keith

badgecollector 02-03-19 03:54 AM

what is the gst/import duties us aussies are now paying?
is it 10% I cant work it out.
I bought something from Canada and got slugged 10% import duties. I understand this but on the whole payment? including the postage? should there be import duties on postage?
bc

JerryBB 02-03-19 07:26 AM

I bought something from the us recently shipping it to me in the uk and they charged duties on the total including the shipping, counting that as part of the cost of the item. It used to be they only counted duty from the item price but it seems that is no longer the case.

Mike_2817 02-03-19 09:53 AM

Its a rip-off

Quote from HMRC re import into the UK

Quote:

If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less
Shipping costs are way over the top, which puts it into the Import VAT @ 20% bracket:

To calculate the VAT on the value of the goods that you are having imported. That is the price of the goods plus items such as the import taxes, commissions and transport charges (including insurance) to the delivery address.

Add up: import duties + VAT = taxes to be paid on import.

How this will change in April when the UK leaves the EU is anybody's guess...

QSAMIKE 02-03-19 11:16 PM

I do not know if this will work on badges but it does on medals.....

Customs Code 9705

That code can be used for the export or importation of any medal, historical item or coin, into Canada, USA or UK since it is an international code..... I have used it to import items from UK and USA and all I had to pay when I had to pay is the GST.....

Mike

HTS Number: 9705.00.00

Description: Collections and collectors' pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archaeological, palaeontological, ethnographic or numismatic interest.

Commodity Code

Description 9705 0000 10
Collectors’ pieces of wood

9705 0000 20
Collectors’ pieces of silver or gold

9705 0000 30
Collections and collectors' pieces of zoological, anatomical, historical, archaeological, palaeontological or ethnographic interest containing animal products

If you wish to read more google Customs Code 9705......

Artynut 03-03-19 12:28 AM

Two things are evident here and proven facts. If you have something shipped via Global Shipping to Canada from UK, you will pay way more than Royal Mail tracked and signed letter (I’ve had three badges delivered in one padded envelope) for 8.75 GB Pounds postage. As one post explains above, If it’s an expensive item, You may be charged import duty upon arrival of your item (in Canada)
2) You cannot pay import duty to Canada from the UK on mailing an item, Because on mailing, It has not yet arrived in Canada!
Another point made by a previous Post, Write to a prospective seller and explain you do not wish to use the Global shipping option and will therefore not bid on the particular Item unless he/she mails said item via Royal Mail. I have done this twice in the last three years and one seller quickly dropped the Global shipping option. I found that the other seller I dealt with claimed he did not realize how much the item had increased in price to the buyer and after about a month, he had also dropped that option. BEWARE, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Phill Lockett 03-03-19 05:25 PM

Global shipping Programme

I Stay away from any sellers using Global shipping (to NZ) or ask if the seller can send via UPS.
Here is 3 reasons why I avoid Global shipping:
1) We don't pay import fees into NZ on anything less than 200 GBP/300USD.
2) It takes longer to ship via GSP by about 2 weeks.
3) Cost is cheaper via USPS and is tracked if seller is willing to not use global shipping.

Apparently Global shipping is easier logistically for the seller.

How I get around it , by having a contact in the States and or using "You Post"which you have sent to a freight forwarding address in either US or UK and they will send, generally way cheaper and quicker than normal post.

Which is what I am going to use for Postwardens Badges on Battledress volumes.

Phill

Investment 04-03-19 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 470695)
what is the gst/import duties us aussies are now paying?
is it 10% I cant work it out.
I bought something from Canada and got slugged 10% import duties. I understand this but on the whole payment? including the postage? should there be import duties on postage?
bc

BC I believe that 10% goes to the Australian Government :rolleyes:

slick_mick 04-03-19 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Investment (Post 470928)
BC I believe that 10% goes to the Australian Government :rolleyes:

Only if you pay via the ebay invoice :)

Mick