British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Hoylake Horse (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88003)

Peter Brydon 09-01-22 01:54 PM

Hoylake Horse

2 Attachment(s)
There have been a couple of posts about this unit in the past and this morning I came across a Regimental plaque to the unit,sadly the top scroll with the regimental name was missing but it Is the first plaque that I can recall seeing with a potted history on the back.

P.

GriffMJ 09-01-22 02:09 PM

...an excellent find Peter. Are they direct Lancs Yeo (on strength as) or affiliated?

Peter Brydon 09-01-22 02:20 PM

Thanks Griff,

They were formed just before WW2 as a new battery of the Liverpool R.A. unit that had been the Lancashire Hussars but recruiting went so well that it was possible to form a new Regiment.

Peter

Mike B 09-01-22 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brydon (Post 569632)
There have been a couple of posts about this unit in the past and this morning I came across a Regimental plaque to the unit,sadly the top scroll with the regimental name was missing but it Is the first plaque that I can recall seeing with a potted history on the back.

P.

Fascinating - a great time capsule right there ...

Wmr-RHB 09-01-22 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 569633)
...an excellent find Peter. Are they direct Lancs Yeo (on strength as) or affiliated?

The lineage in short is on this page: Cavalry Volunteers Lancashire

They were resurrected after the war, still subtitled as (Lancashire Yeomanry).

leigh kitchen 09-01-22 04:01 PM

I think the missing plaque would have been of thin lacquered brass with impressed lettering in black paint which was glued over the blank plastic scroll.
I first saw that type of scroll on an Int Corps plaque in 1979, sure enough both scrolls had dropped of the plaque within a couple of years and had to be glued back on.

KLR 09-01-22 04:27 PM

Fascinating ! Properly it was in Cheshire (before they bxxxxd up the counties in 1974).
Anyway, the 16th Bn KLR was formed there in 1914 - apparently in the (well known) golf club.
So a 'horse' (of Hanover) was present there long before the cavalry appeared there...

Peter Brydon 09-01-22 04:56 PM

Thanks for the replies,

Wmr,that is most interesting, I saw something similar in the Drill Hall of the Lancashire Artillery Volunteers some time ago.

Leigh, thanks, somewhere I have a photo of a complete plaque but can’t find it at the moment.

Thanks Julian.

P.

Peter Brydon 10-01-22 11:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
What the complete plaque should look like.

P.

Peter Brydon 10-01-22 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And what you can achieve with a colour printer.

Not perfect but shows how it should look.

P.

Wmr-RHB 10-01-22 01:22 PM

Brilliant. :)