British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Anodised Aluminium Cap Badge Oddities (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2707)

hagwalther 25-07-08 05:39 AM

Anodised Aluminium Cap Badge Oddities

Hi Guys,

I thought it migh be time to start advancing the anodised aluminium cap badge project slowly.

As such, see attached a list of badges and short descriptions which are all currently included with an entry (some being just a 'Wanted' entry) on the web pages.

I currently consider ALL those shown below to be either mistakes, unfinished or other sort of production error.

As such, would all take a look and tell me those in the list may well be GENUINE specification so that correction may be made and also why the badge is coloured the way it is e.g. general issue, pipers only badge, etc.

I'm not looking at genuine specification for ALL materials not just anodised aluminium.

e.g. If someone knows or owns a genuine issue non anodised badge of (for example) Royal Tank Regiment (All Gold) then please let me know together with the reason why it is that particular colour.

Post answers here or PM me.

Regards

Chris

1) 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards (All Gold)
2) Royal Hussars (All Gold)

4) 14th/20th Kings Hussars (All Silver)
5) 15th/19th The Kings Royal Hussars (All Gold)

6) Royal Tank Regiment (All Gold)

8) Cheshire Regiment (All Gold)
9) Duke Of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (All Gold)
10) Royal Scots (All Gold)

11) Foresters Brigade (All Silver)
12) Yorkshire Brigade (Silver And Black)
13) Yorkshire Brigade (All Gold)
14) Irish Guards (All Silver)
15) Scots Guards (All Silver)

16) Welsh Guards (All Silver)

18) Army Catering Corp (We Sustain) (All Silver)
19) Army Catering Corp (We Sustain) (All Gold)
20) Royal Army Medical Corps (All Silver)

23) Women's Royal Army Corps (All Gold)
24) Royal Regiment Of Wales (All Gold)
25) Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders (All Gold)

26) Parachute Regiment (All Gold)
27) Special Air Service (All Gold)
28) 7th Duke Of Edinburgh's Own Gurkha Rifles (Cypher Not Void - Silver And Gold)

30) MOD Guard Force - Silver

31) Royal Alderney Militia (All Gold)
32) Royal Alderney Militia (All Silver)
33) University Of London OTC (All Silver)
34) Tayforth Universities UOTC (All Silver)
35) Royal Army Medical Corp (Gold snake)

36) Wessex Regiment/Wessex Brigade (All Silver)

David Douglas 25-07-08 09:28 AM

Anodised etc.

Please clarify something for me : If a RTR cap badge is white metal, how can it be 'all gold' ? Regards. David

hagwalther 25-07-08 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Douglas (Post 17640)
Please clarify something for me : If a RTR cap badge is white metal, how can it be 'all gold' ? Regards. David

A poor example.

I'm looking for badges as described in post 1 that existed in materials other than anodised aluminium.

I have amended the sentence in post 1 to be less ambiguous.

Regards

Chris

lettman 27-07-08 07:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Chris,
I may be seriously misreading your posting, but isn't your item
3) 14/20 Hussars (all gold)
simply the regulation badge worn until the black one was adopted for all ranks in c.1968?
The examples below are marked Firmin London (gilt) and J.R.GAUNT B'HAM (black).
My apologies if I'm being obtuse about this!

Gurkha 27-07-08 07:09 PM

Chris,
Re the 7th GR non void cypher, it is believed that these were an early production AA item, They had problams with the voiding causing a weakness so much so that despite being approved in Sept 1959 the old pattern continued in use until 1964. The badges were also produced in WM & silver plate so they would be stronger. A sealed pattern for an AA badge is in the Nat Army museum dated June 1970. I have a Black AA one of these, that was issued to the 7th prior to going to the falklands. No makers mark, fitted with loops. I dont know if this was a private purchase by the regt or issue.

The 'Silver' Gurkha Eng badge.
The badge was silver when introduced in 1955 and later changed to a bi metal version. So it is correct for an early ordnance issue.

Steve

hagwalther 27-07-08 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lettman (Post 17755)
Chris,
I may be seriously misreading your posting, but isn't your item
3) 14/20 Hussars (all gold)
simply the regulation badge worn until the black one was adopted for all ranks in c.1968?
The examples below are marked Firmin London (gilt) and J.R.GAUNT B'HAM (black).
My apologies if I'm being obtuse about this!

Not at all.

Thanks for pointing this out as this is the sort of feedback I need.

OK - the all gold 14/20 Hussars is a correctly issued badge.

Will remove this from the list later.

Regards

Chris

hagwalther 27-07-08 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurkha (Post 17798)
Chris,
Re the 7th GR non void cypher, it is believed that these were an early production AA item, They had problams with the voiding causing a weakness so much so that despite being approved in Sept 1959 the old pattern continued in use until 1964. The badges were also produced in WM & silver plate so they would be stronger. A sealed pattern for an AA badge is in the Nat Army museum dated June 1970. I have a Black AA one of these, that was issued to the 7th prior to going to the falklands. No makers mark, fitted with loops. I dont know if this was a private purchase by the regt or issue.

The 'Silver' Gurkha Eng badge.
The badge was silver when introduced in 1955 and later changed to a bi metal version. So it is correct for an early ordnance issue.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Is the 7th GR non void - is the all silver version correct?

I have a silver AND gold version and I'm thinking they left the gold plating off the all silver item making it an imcomplete badge.

Can you re-check?

re: Silver Grkha Engineers - Thanks !!! - will remove this from the list later.

Many thanks and keep them coming.

Regards

Chris

bess55 27-07-08 09:11 PM

Chris, I have several on the list you mention above but cannot confirm the covenance on many of them ( I can list what I have if youn need proof of their existance at least). One I've mentioned before but isnt on your list is the small 1st pattern RA beret badge (flat, no turning wheel) which is all silver. Peter Taylor told me years ago that it could well be a Scottish army cadet unit. Never been able to confirm this. 54 BTY is your man on all things Royal Artillery generally.

Incidentally I have a silver Intelligence Corps in anodised and I'm sure that is right. warrant Officers I believe.

Regards

Bess

hagwalther 28-07-08 05:31 AM

Hi Bess,

I have added the silver Artillery badge as an 'Image Wanted' entry in the Corps web page. I had added it to my collection list but forgot to update the web page - Thnaks !!!

Most of the badges shown are owned by myself with a few from you too and others. I think the only two which I don't have photos for are the silver Artillery as per above and an all gold Devon Royal Artillery sold at Bosleys last year.

Will remove the silver Intelligence Corps entry from post #1 too.

Regards,

Chris

hagwalther 28-07-08 07:30 AM

Guys,

I've added:

Wessex Regiment/Wessex Brigade (All Silver)

to the list too.

If someone can tell me that this is contemporaneous then I will remove it.

Regards

Chris

ukbrits 28-07-08 04:36 PM

Royal Devon Yeo Arty

Hi Chris,
The Royal Devon Yeo Artillery cap badge is not an odditty at all it is supposed to be in gold anodised.The metal badges of this Regiment were in brass. Later on the Royal Devon Yeomanry switched to a silver ano badge or white metal.
Hope this helps.
Colin

54Bty 28-07-08 05:05 PM

296th Field Regiment Royal Artillery (Royal Devon Yeomanry Artillery) (TA)

revdougal 28-07-08 05:12 PM

WM RA Beret Badge

Officers of 78 (Lowland) Fd Bde RA (TA) in 1930s wore silver cap badges, and this was revived for the successor unit [278 (Lowland) Fd Regt RA (The City of Edinburgh Arty) (TA)] in the mid 1950s, and wm beret badges were issued to all ranks at regimental expence.See Litchfield's "Territorial Arty" p296.
I believe Cambridge Univ OTC Arty Section may also have worn both the full size as well as the beret badge in wm. Also the unit are thought to have worn wm collars in OR and Offr sizes.

Gurkha 28-07-08 08:10 PM

RE 7th GR,
Not sure what you mean re Gold in respect of 7th GR all the badges a WM/silver coloured apart from the 'field use' black one. No gold on a 7th badge.
Regards

Steve

hagwalther 29-07-08 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukbrits (Post 17843)
Hi Chris,
The Royal Devon Yeo Artillery cap badge is not an odditty at all it is supposed to be in gold anodised.The metal badges of this Regiment were in brass. Later on the Royal Devon Yeomanry switched to a silver ano badge or white metal.
Hope this helps.
Colin

Thanks Colin,

I think I have this sorted now - was under the impression it was an all silver badge.

Regards

Chris