British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Militaria (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Royal Navy (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88768)

barriefield-brian 04-03-22 10:37 PM

Royal Navy

Could anyone tell me how to find out if my uncle was awarded the India medal in ww2? He wrote on his service papers his stars, 1939-1945 star, Atlantic, Burma star, France and Germany but he also lists the India medal. I dont think he would have included that if he did not have it. I have since added the Arctic star and the Newfoundland volunteer. I believe years ago his entitlement was sent but this medal was not listed. I have no idea how this medal would be earned but listed on his service he stated East Suez, Burma and India at the end of the war. Any help appreciated. Cheers Brian

Alex Rice 05-03-22 06:32 AM

Hi Brian
I doubt it. The India Medal was for servicemen in the Indian armed forces, not Commonwealth or other forces who happened to serve in that theatre, so unless he was part of the Indian forces he wouldn't be entitled.
Cheers,
Alex

leigh kitchen 05-03-22 09:03 AM

In the case of entitlement to both the Atlantic Star and the France and Germany Star only the first one qualified for was awarded the other was represented by a bar worn on the ribbon of that first Star.

barriefield-brian 05-03-22 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 574321)
Hi Brian
I doubt it. The India Medal was for servicemen in the Indian armed forces, not Commonwealth or other forces who happened to serve in that theatre, so unless he was part of the Indian forces he wouldn't be entitled.
Cheers,
Alex

Thank you for the reply Alex. Cheers Brian

barriefield-brian 05-03-22 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 574325)
In the case of entitlement to both the Atlantic Star and the France and Germany Star only the first one qualified for was awarded the other was represented by a bar worn on the ribbon of that first Star.

Yes i have a bar on the Atlantic star, I should have made that more clear. Thank you for your response. Cheers Brian

James K 24-01-23 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barriefield-brian (Post 574313)
Could anyone tell me how to find out if my uncle was awarded the India medal in ww2? He wrote on his service papers his stars, 1939-1945 star, Atlantic, Burma star, France and Germany but he also lists the India medal. I dont think he would have included that if he did not have it. I have since added the Arctic star and the Newfoundland volunteer. I believe years ago his entitlement was sent but this medal was not listed. I have no idea how this medal would be earned but listed on his service he stated East Suez, Burma and India at the end of the war. Any help appreciated. Cheers Brian

He might mean the India General Service Medal (1936) which was awarded to both British and Indian servicemen.

pioneercorps 07-04-23 01:44 PM

I have my Dad's North West Frontier (Afghanistan today) medals 1936-7 and the 1937-39 when he was in India in the 30s. They were only issued if you served at the North West Frontier.
Gerwyn