British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2nd South Middlesex Rifle Volunteers badge group (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86835)

manchesters 11-10-21 03:05 PM

2nd South Middlesex Rifle Volunteers badge group

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I thought some of you would like to see this lovely group of RVC badges worn by Captain G.R.K. PONSFORD, 2nd (South Middlesex) RVC.

Beautifully blackened and perfect condition consisting of his Helmet plate, Glengarry Badge, Pair of Collars and 4 buttons.

Not my county of interest but worth showing I feel.

regards

cbuehler 11-10-21 03:24 PM

Beautiful scarce group. Badges such as these are just not seen outside of the UK.

CB

Rob Miller 11-10-21 04:56 PM

Very nice Simon, any chance I could see an image of the backs of the buttons please.

Rob

manchesters 11-10-21 06:23 PM

Rob,

All 4 are totally plain.

regards

Keith Blakeman 11-10-21 06:27 PM

Pleased to say I have them all plus a couple other items of theirs. From the area I was brought up in, Fulham.

Mike H 11-10-21 07:57 PM

Fabulous !!

gb64 11-10-21 08:07 PM

Very nice , thanks for showing Simon

Gerard

Fatherofthree 11-10-21 09:01 PM

Splendid little collection with provenance, all in excellent condition.

I too have all of them plus some others to this unit.

Regards.

Brian

Rob Miller 11-10-21 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 562007)
Rob,

All 4 are totally plain.

regards

Hi Simon

Are they spun backed or pressed together, I'm intrigued by the Officers/other ranks quality question.

Officers had to provide their own accuotrements, sometimes their choice was based on how deep their pockets were, other times by what was available, this may be a rare insight?

Rob

manchesters 12-10-21 10:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Miller (Post 562029)
Hi Simon

Are they spun backed or pressed together, I'm intrigued by the Officers/other ranks quality question.

Officers had to provide their own accuotrements, sometimes their choice was based on how deep their pockets were, other times by what was available, this may be a rare insight?

Rob

Rob,

Here are photos of one. They are all the same. Not sure how you would describe them.

regards

Rob Miller 12-10-21 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Simon.

Its not what I would call an Officers quality button, its certainly not spun backed, But its not silver plated or gilt so perhaps quality isn't so important with blackened brass? I have a Dolan marked example, has anyone ever seen a spun back 2nd Middlesex button?

Rob

Keith Blakeman 13-10-21 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Miller (Post 562083)
Thank you Simon.

Its not what I would call an Officers quality button, its certainly not spun backed, But its not silver plated or gilt so perhaps quality isn't so important with blackened brass? I have a Dolan marked example, has anyone ever seen a spun back 2nd Middlesex button?

Rob

Nothing additional to what Simon has shown of the 2nd South Middx in my colllection is what I’d call ‘officer quality’ the pouch belt plate and pouch badge are both white metal as are another pair of collars and the KC & QVC shako plates are both blackened brass with whitemetal centres.

Hawthorn 17-10-21 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Miller (Post 562083)
Thank you Simon.

Rob

Rob,

Have just checked the three I have and all are Maker marked and not spun backed.

Simon.

Rob Miller 18-10-21 05:49 PM

Here's a nice Officers Quality button on ebay, but that doesn't prove that Officers didn't sometimes wear lesser quality buttons.

Rob

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153510695...53.m1438.l2649