British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   LRDG Grouping recently sold... (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86534)

WWIIBuff 21-09-21 04:58 AM

LRDG Grouping recently sold...

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Gentlemen,

A LRDG uniform grouping recently sold at a show here in the US. The attached image of it has been borrowed from another forum and is the only one available, so I cannot get better pictures. Based on this one photos, can anyone determine if the insignia looks correct or not?

Thanks

John

arrestingu 21-09-21 06:41 AM

Hard to judge if it has not been put together, the wing and cap badge look like they could be correct though.
Cheers
Steve

crest-insignia 21-09-21 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WWIIBuff (Post 560035)
Hello Gentlemen,

A LRDG uniform grouping recently sold at a show here in the US. The attached image of it has been borrowed from another forum and is the only one available, so I cannot get better pictures. Based on this one photos, can anyone determine if the insignia looks correct or not?

Thanks

John

Not my area of expertise, but . .
A couple of things would make me suspicious of its authenticity.

Are those Brass buttons on the pockets?
Medal ribbon bar is incomplete.
Hat looks very ‘out of period’ to the rest of it.
Rank pip on epaulette appears ver washed out, whereas other patches appear as new.
All above is merely my opinion, happy to bow to those with better knowledge.
T

oow!
just a thought, could (original) owner be identified or eliminated, by medal entitlement (is that an OBE ribbon?).

popskipa 21-09-21 07:24 AM

Some, if not all, the insignia may be original so closer inspection is required to decide.

However, although under the command of the Eighth Army, the formation sign was not worn by the LRDG, I suspect the uniform is not original and has been put together.

Keith

leigh kitchen 21-09-21 07:27 AM

The maroon and white ribbon is that of the Meritorious Service Medal.

arrestingu 21-09-21 07:33 AM

...I thought it was MBE military ,as it's at the start of the bar, the MSM, goes at the end.

leigh kitchen 21-09-21 07:41 AM

Maybe it is - I took the stripes to be white rather than grey.

atillathenunns 21-09-21 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popskipa (Post 560041)
Some, if not all, the insignia may be original so closer inspection is required to decide.

However, as the Eigth Army formation sign was not worn by the LRDG, I suspect the uniform is not original and has been put together.

Keith

To take part in the British offensive in Cyrenaica in November 1941, the LRDG was placed under the command of the newly-formed Eighth Army and the whole group was moved from Kufra to Siwa.

lifeochil 21-09-21 10:56 AM

Not close enough to confirm.
Many uniforms are put together today, some by collectors and some by dealers.

Hoot 21-09-21 11:45 AM

I would certainly expect to see the ribbon of the 1939-1945 Star between the OBE and Africa Star ribbons. Both stars were introduced at the same time. Buyer beware.

atillathenunns 21-09-21 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 560072)
I would certainly expect to see the ribbon of the 1939-1945 Star between the OBE and Africa Star ribbons. Both stars were introduced at the same time. Buyer beware.

Although both stars were introduced at the same time, when it came to ribbons in 1943 the Africa Star had priority over the then 1939-43 Star in regards to issue.

MarkGD 21-09-21 12:40 PM

Being such a rare beast, who was it attributed to? Regards Mark

seanhath 21-09-21 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrestingu (Post 560043)
...I thought it was MBE military ,as it's at the start of the bar, the MSM, goes at the end.

Looks like a British Empire Medal ribbon to me?

Home Guard 21-09-21 02:38 PM

I'm no expert or even a novice on SAS pieces, but as has been stated, the most glaring alarm to me is how new all of the insignia look. I would expect some wear to be apparent on them. Bet who ever bought it paid big bucks!

Terry

WWIIBuff 21-09-21 04:03 PM

Well this thread certainly drew some attention. I wish I had more pictures, or better yet, I wish I had been at the show to see it in person. Even if all the insignia is real, as stated by several of you already, it could still just be a put-together impression.

According to the poster on the other forum, the asking price was $6,000. If legit, I would have been willing to pay that, but it would need to have rock solid provenance.

At this point, I would be happy to just be able to buy a pair of original LRDG shoulder insignia. :D