British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2nd Lancashire Light Horse Volunteers, The Liverpool Light Horse (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34223)

Peter Brydon 31-08-13 12:30 PM

2nd Lancashire Light Horse Volunteers, The Liverpool Light Horse

1 Attachment(s)
I was very pleased to get an example in this mornings post of the shako plate to the above unit which is pictured.

Whilst I knew of the unit it was only recently that I bought the Summer 1993 copy of the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research which contains the article " John Simmons Tregoning and the Mounted Rifle Volunteers and Light Horse Volunteers in Liverpool 1860-1863 " by Dennis Reeves and Dixon Pickup.

As well as a history of the unit , the article also has photographs of the units uniforms including one of an actual shako with this plate on it.

The intention was that the unit was to be a Mounted Rifle Corps and in local newspapers of the time was referred to variously as "Liverpool Mounted Rifles", "Liverpool Mounted Volunteer Corps" and "Liverpool Mounted Volunteers" and "Liverpool Light Horse "

The unit was commanded by Major Nicholas Blundell of Crosby and on 21st June 1861 approval was given for the unit to become the 2nd Lancashire Light Horse Volunteers, although even after that the unit was still referred to in local newspapers as "The Liverpool Light Horse"

The unit which was attached to the 5th Lancashire Rifle Volunteers ( Liverpool Rifle Brigade ) along with the 15th and 42nd Lancs R.V.C.`s.

The unit had mixed fortunes as far as numbers of members were concerned and finally disappeared in 1875.

Now I will definitely being buying my lottery tickets later just in case any other items to this unit come on the market.

P.B.

wright241 31-08-13 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thfoot (Post 226251)
I was very pleased to get an example in this mornings post of the shako plate to the above unit which is pictured.

Whilst I knew of the unit it was only recently that I bought the Summer 1993 copy of the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research which contains the article " John Simmons Tregoning and the Mounted Rifle Volunteers and Light Horse Volunteers in Liverpool 1860-1863 " by Dennis Reeves and Dixon Pickup.

As well as a history of the unit , the article also has photographs of the units uniforms including one of an actual shako with this plate on it.

The intention was that the unit was to be a Mounted Rifle Corps and in local newspapers of the time was referred to variously as "Liverpool Mounted Rifles", "Liverpool Mounted Volunteer Corps" and "Liverpool Mounted Volunteers" and "Liverpool Light Horse "

The unit was commanded by Major Nicholas Blundell of Crosby and on 21st June 1861 approval was given for the unit to become the 2nd Lancashire Light Horse Volunteers, although even after that the unit was still referred to in local newspapers as "The Liverpool Light Horse"

The unit which was attached to the 5th Lancashire Rifle Volunteers ( Liverpool Rifle Brigade ) along with the 15th and 42nd Lancs R.V.C.`s.

The unit had mixed fortunes as far as numbers of members were concerned and finally disappeared in 1875.

Now I will definitely being buying my lottery tickets later just in case any other items to this unit come on the market.

P.B.

Very nice PB. I seem to recall a shako plate very like this one in one of the Bosley sales - probably one of the special ones - 3 or 4 years ago?? It was the 3 lions and that symbol at the top that grabbed my attention at the time, or is this symbol used on other badges....?
All the same, well done. David

Peter Brydon 31-08-13 01:50 PM

Hello David,

The three lions with tablet ( The device that looks like an elongated "E" on its side ) is from the arms of the County Palatine of Lancaster and does appear on various military badges but this or another shako plate to the unit may well have been sold by Bosleys in the past.

Peter

wright241 31-08-13 02:09 PM

In that case, what I "remembered" may well have been a "Lancaster" helmet plate/shako etc. If it needs a home, let me know....
Rgds, David

Sonofacqms 31-08-13 06:32 PM

2nd Lancashire Light Horse Volunteers, The Liverpool Light Horse

PB.

A nice item, well done for getting this one.

Rob

Peter Brydon 05-09-13 06:11 AM

By one of those coincidences that happen in our hobby, a sword to an earlier unit also know as "The Liverpool Light Horse " has just come onto the market:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Cavalr...B:FSEL:US:1123

Sadly a bit much for me even with free postage.

P.B.

wright241 05-09-13 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thfoot (Post 226964)
By one of those coincidences that happen in our hobby, a sword to an earlier unit also know as "The Liverpool Light Horse " has just come onto the market:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Cavalr...B:FSEL:US:1123

Sadly a bit much for me even with free postage.

P.B.

Ow.....
Maybe I should be selling off my (Dublin made) Kings County Militia sword if these are the sorts of prices being asked... Seems a little on the high side to me. Personally, I prefer your badge......
David

YeoHelmetGuy 09-01-22 04:52 PM

1st Lancashire Mountedd Rifle Volunteers

4 Attachment(s)
I thought I would post some images of a fairly obscure Albert pattern dragoon pattern helmet to the 1st Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers that I have in my collection. The helmet is over-all silver plated with all silver fittings to include chin chain which is lined in red leather. The only exception to all silver fitting is the plume boss or rosette at the top of the white over red barber brush plume which is gilt. The helmet liner is also in red leather. The helmet plate is a three-or four-part construction consisting of the wreath, the star, the title scroll, and the disk in the center of the title with the arms of Lancashire which appears to be a separate piece. The 1st Lancashire mounted Rifle Volunteers were short lived from approx. February 1860 to November 1861 with an establishment of 3 officers and not mor than 50 other ranks. in 1861 they were disbanded and reconstituted as Light Horse Volunteers with changes to the helmet plate. I hope readers find this of interest.

Peter Brydon 09-01-22 07:41 PM

Fabulous item.

P.

manchesters 09-01-22 07:59 PM

Great helmet.

Peter Brydon 10-01-22 10:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Yeohelmetguy,

Most interesting article in an old JSAHR if you can find a copy, and if you don’t already know about it.
See attached extracts.

I wonder how many helmets to this unit still exist .

P.

YeoHelmetGuy 05-01-23 03:32 AM

Hello Peter,

Somehow, I missed your post from several months ago regarding my Lancashire Mounted Rifles Volunteers helmet. I do have a copy of the JSAHR you refer to. My helmet matches the description and images of the helmet sighted in the article. With only three officers, which my helmet is an officers', and less than fifty troopers and the very short life span of the unit before conversion to Light Horse Volunteers I am sure these helmets are very, very few and far between. I know of only one other helmet to the Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers. It was sold by Garth Vincent Auctioneers... I don't know a sale date or a hammer price. I am sure my helmet is a most rare item. It has been part of my collection of dragoon helmets for many years.

I noticed a 2nd Light Horse Volunteers Shako plate for sale at eBay with an asking price of 400.00 GBP. Unfortunately for me the seller will not ship to the United States and J & C Militaria has an almost complete shako officer's shako to the 2nd Light Horse Volunteers... not in the best condition, some structural issues, missing its plume holder and possibly the incorrect plume but with its original storage tin and an asking price of 1795.00 GBP.

Again, sorry for the much belated reply to your note!

Best regards,

David

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brydon (Post 569719)
Yeohelmetguy,

Most interesting article in an old JSAHR if you can find a copy, and if you don’t already know about it.
See attached extracts.

I wonder how many helmets to this unit still exist .

P.

Peter Brydon 05-01-23 10:37 AM

David,

PM sent

Regards

Peter