British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Conversation with a non-collector (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48420)

Another Bubble 19-09-15 11:07 AM

Conversation with a non-collector

I was out last night with some friends that I'd not seen for a while when one of them started to ask me about my collection. As well as telling him about some of the good badges, I also mentioned about the fakes I'd picked up when first starting.

He said "So are you buying them to sell on?"

I replied "No, I'm buying them to keep & display."

He then asked "Well if you're buying them to keep & display, does it really matter if any are fake?"

I'm guessing he never progressed beyond Panini football stickers! :D

JerryBB 19-09-15 12:11 PM

There is often mention made of gap fillers by some, but I only buy fakes/copies in error:confused:! They then go in the box of shame:mad:

Another Bubble 19-09-15 12:31 PM

I've heard of people using them as gap fillers before & I think it's possibly how the earliest copies ended up out there.

They're not for me though. Like you, the fakes I've picked up were mistakes & at a time when I had far more enthusiasm than knowledge. Mine are also tucked away in a dark place.

leigh kitchen 19-09-15 12:59 PM

The ones I've got I considered fixing to a wrought iron gate, something like that - garden shabby chic. Trouble is, give it time, & they'll be genuine.

These non-collectors, I thought they went under the collective title of "wives".

Another Bubble 19-09-15 01:00 PM

Are you trying to bait Tigerlily again? :D

Peter Brydon 19-09-15 01:02 PM

There are many, many collectors out there ( not members of this Forum ) who either are not aware that dud badges exist ( or even the size of the problem ) or who just don't care if the badges they collect are duds or not.

If this was not the case then not only would the purveyors of c--p cease to trade but collections which sometimes contain more duds than genuine badges would not sell as well as they do at local auction houses.

Some of the general dealers that I know do buy in badges when they can, but would not recognise the good from the bad, they do however say it is getting more and more difficult to buy in badges at prices where they can sell on at a profit.

P.B.

leigh kitchen 19-09-15 01:03 PM

Oh bu88er, I forgot about the feminist feline on patrol.
Sorry 'Lil.

oc14 19-09-15 01:04 PM

You have friends who don't collect badges? - how strange !
PL

leigh kitchen 19-09-15 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brydon (Post 323865)
There are many, many collectors out there ( not members of this Forum ) who either are not aware that dud badges exist ( or even the size of the problem ) or who just don't care if the badges they collect are duds or not.

If this was not the case then not only would the purveyors of c--p cease to trade but collections which sometimes contain more duds than genuine badges would not sell as well as they do at local auction houses.

Some of the general dealers that I know do buy in badges when they can, but would not recognise the good from the bad, they do however say it is getting more and more difficult to buy in badges at prices where they can sell on at a profit.

P.B.

Need an annual ceremonial beating of the duff badges, all gather around a big press or whack 'em with big sledges.
I need to weed out mine, have a cull.

Another Bubble 19-09-15 01:06 PM

Whisper it very quietly Paul, but I'm even friends with a few Lancastrians!

leigh kitchen 19-09-15 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc14 (Post 323868)
You have friends who don't collect badges? - how strange !
PL

I don't have friends, let alone non-believers.
I have associates & people I've wronged.

Tigerlily 19-09-15 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Another Bubble (Post 323864)
Are you trying to bait Tigerlily again? :D

It's become a form of sport, depends on mood whether I take the bait or not!

Tigerlily 19-09-15 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 323867)
Oh bu88er, I forgot about the feminist feline on patrol.
Sorry 'Lil.

Well at least you apologised straight away, will soon have you knocked into shape.

ubervamp 19-09-15 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Another Bubble (Post 323853)
I was out last night with some friends that I'd not seen for a while when one of them started to ask me about my collection. As well as telling him about some of the good badges, I also mentioned about the fakes I'd picked up when first starting.

He said "So are you buying them to sell on?"

I replied "No, I'm buying them to keep & display."

He then asked "Well if you're buying them to keep & display, does it really matter if any are fake?"

I'm guessing he never progressed beyond Panini football stickers! :D

I could never knowingly frame and display a fake as gap filler. It would defeat the whole purpose of collecting and the frame for me. I'd rather omit a badge. I keep my fakes for reference, though.

Colin

irish 19-09-15 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ubervamp (Post 323885)
I could never knowingly frame and display a fake as gap filler. It would defeat the whole purpose of collecting and the frame for me. I'd rather omit a badge. I keep my fakes for reference, though.

Colin

I tend to agree, if you have one duffer in the group it may call in to question the remaining pieces. I have bought collections knowing there were bad badges mixed in but usually isolate them until a real piece can be acquired. I do like both of the ideas, attaching them to a fence gate or hammering them down into an unrecognizable blob. But please wear your safety glasses.