British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Army Departments and Corps Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   RCT PIPERS BROOCH? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66679)

sapper533 20-02-18 04:43 PM

RCT PIPERS BROOCH?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi

This is the last of my RCT questions......I promise

A large plaid brooch and pin with thistle design, on the reverse someone has marked it "RCT HD"

Is this just a generic pipers brooch or did RCT Pipers actually wear this?

Size is 85mm across

cheers
Sean

Mike H 20-02-18 06:21 PM

Is there no images online of the Scottish transport regt pipers ? The ones that wear the diamond tartan patch on the beret,MacDuff i think .

ianh67military 20-02-18 07:51 PM

It is military, as the Queen's Gurkha Signals have worn this pattern. Haven't seen it worn by RCT (but that doesn't mean much as I see very few pipers in Bristol). There's one of this pattern in my Pipers album.

Ian H

sapper533 20-02-18 08:12 PM

Yeah started off with a Google search great pics of 154 Regt RLC but no real close ups.

sapper533 20-02-18 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianh67military (Post 436313)
It is military, as the Queen's Gurkha Signals have worn this pattern. Haven't seen it worn by RCT (but that doesn't mean much as I see very few pipers in Bristol). There's one of this pattern in my Pipers album.

Ian H

Yes I've drooled over your album on many a lonely night lol, had forgotten about the QGS example you have. Just did a quick search to see what pipers of the GTR wore but what few photos I found aren't this badge.
Well at least we know it's QGS if nothing else.
Cheers
Sean

engr9266 21-02-18 05:33 PM

Come on Fatboy Ken, I thought you would know the answer.....:D
See you Sunday up the hill for brekie??

grenadierguardsman 21-02-18 07:58 PM

Royal Corps of Transport, Highland Division ?
Andy

grenadierguardsman 21-02-18 08:00 PM

51st Div ?
Andy

Fatboy Ken 24-02-18 06:52 AM

Hiya guys,

I'm sorry for the delay, been away from the computer for a few days.
Leave it with me guys, I'll have a look around for ya's.

I have a few great images of the RCT Highland Regimental Band, but I'm sure they were wearing the RCT Plaid Brooches, but it is possible for them to wear 2 brooches.

FBK

PS Sean, I will look at all the posts before coming back to you buddy

Fatboy Ken 24-02-18 07:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I never,

After a quick troll through my albums I have an answer for you all.

Yes it is a Brooch worn by the RCT Highlanders and Lowlanders Band
(Possibly as already stated Generic ?)

I only have the following image from the Museum collection, but it is clearly visible on both of the piper Majors left shoulders.

FBK

Attachment 184992

sapper533 24-02-18 08:38 AM

I knew you'd come through the with the answer
Cheers mate
Sean

sapper533 24-02-18 08:39 AM

I'm intrigued by the colours of the plume in the picture, red white and blue, not really RCT colours. I wonder what they represented and why the choice of colours?

Fatboy Ken 25-02-18 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper533 (Post 436522)
I'm intrigued by the colours of the plume in the picture, red white and blue, not really RCT colours. I wonder what they represented and why the choice of colours?

Sean,

I shall have a word with one of my many contacts in the Band Branch of the RASC & RCT Association, if they can't answer this, then they will know someone who can. (hopefully)

I have not seen a photographic image of the plum in wear, except for the image above. But it could be that the Corps did not want to interfere with other historically famous Scottish regiments colours, so Red, White & Blue would have been accepted by them all. (only a guess buddy)

But I will ask the question for a more detailed response.

Ken (The Fatboy)

sapper533 25-02-18 04:30 PM

Many thanks for that Ken, I have seen this plume for sale a number of times but did not know it was RCT related.
Cheers
Sean

sapper533 05-03-19 05:13 PM

Bumped for you Chris
Regards
Sean