British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   OP cloth arm badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17837)

mooke07 17-07-11 05:36 AM

OP cloth arm badge

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Another pic of my father as a lance corporal in Lincolnshire regiment (on left) with a soldier with swagger stick under his arm wearing an OP arm badge (possibly Leicestershire regiment cap badge). What does this stand for? I thought the P for police as Dad did policing duties with a signals unit. Anyway best I ask the experts. Is that Dad's rank stripe on his rolled up sleeve?

Cheers and thanks in advance, Dean.

REMEVMBEA1 17-07-11 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooke07 (Post 121320)
Hi all,

Another pic of my father as a lance corporal in Lincolnshire regiment (on left) with a soldier with swagger stick under his arm wearing an OP arm badge (possibly Leicestershire regiment cap badge). What does this stand for? I thought the P for police as Dad did policing duties with a signals unit. Anyway best I ask the experts. Is that Dad's rank stripe on his rolled up sleeve?

Cheers and thanks in advance, Dean.

I wonder if it's an Regimental ? Police armband with a device in the middle. And yes that's definitely a Lance Corporal stripe.

mooke07 17-07-11 05:50 AM

Crikey that was quick off the mark - thanks for that ! Think regimental poilice myself as fits with what Dad used to talk about doing in Germany.

engr9266 17-07-11 09:36 AM

Yes I would say Regimental police-RP with a unit (device) in the centre and I think that the LCPL stripe is on an arm band as is the RP:)

Toby Purcell 17-07-11 10:57 AM

Yes, it's a typical Regimental Police Brassard (arm band) as is still used today. These normally comprise a coloured brassard on which is affixed the letters RP either in cloth or metal and a regimental device, often a collar, or cap badge, but it can also be cloth. Sometimes the badge of rank goes on too. These arm bands have been used as far back as in Queen Victoria's reign and the concept of Regimental Policemen pre-dates the formation of a Corps of Military Police. The RP section usually comprises the Provost Sergeant, his deputy the Provost Corporal, and six soldiers who are usually Lance Corporals (often acting). They are under the day-to-day control of the Adjutant, although he sometimes delegates responsibility to the RSM. The RPs invariably all carry a regimental cane of walking length (rather than swagger stick) which is widely recognized as a mark of his standing (badge of office), rather like a truncheon once was. The Provost Sergeant is invariably issued his cane as part of his appointment and it is usually distinctive with a regimental badge inscribed or mounted on top. The other RPs have simpler canes that are often made up locally.

mooke07 17-07-11 11:52 AM

Thanks Toby,

Have learnt much from comments on just one photo, didn't think swagger stick was right term as Grandad has his in Great War pics. All a learning, cheers Dean

Toby Purcell 17-07-11 09:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mooke07 (Post 121363)
Thanks Toby,

Have learnt much from comments on just one photo, didn't think swagger stick was right term as Grandad has his in Great War pics. All a learning, cheers Dean

Here are various photos of Regimental Policemen (before the formation of a separate Corps they were known as Regimental Military Policemen) from around the turn of the 20th Century, many years before your father fulfilled the same important role. In garrisons these men were often grouped to form Garrison Regimental/Military Police and their brassards would reflect that role.

mooke07 18-07-11 10:35 AM

Thanks Toby for a very comprehensive answer to my uniform question, I spoke with my mother and she has confirmed that dad had served in what she thought was a regimental police role.

I like the pictures of the RP and the brassards.

Question solved, cheers Dean.

matti467 18-07-11 10:39 AM

When 87 Sig Sqdn deployed as part of 38 Sig Regt we had Regimental Police. I had the chance to do the job a few times when DCs courses etc. were running. We had an RP arm band and in the middle was a two part anodised 'Jimmy'
Matti

Toby Purcell 18-07-11 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by matti467 (Post 121519)
When 87 Sig Sqdn deployed as part of 38 Sig Regt we had Regimental Police. I had the chance to do the job a few times when DCs courses etc. were running. We had an RP arm band and in the middle was a two part anodised 'Jimmy'
Matti

This is a more generic brassard, as used by a lot of Corps rather than infantry battalions.