British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Collecting to Stone Staffordshire and surrounding Villages (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65338)

yorkstone 17-11-17 01:46 PM

Collecting to Stone Staffordshire and surrounding Villages

1 Attachment(s)
I regularly carry out local History displays in my home town. I started as a boy collecting badges and along came Medals.

As I went A long items came with stories later corroborated by research and occasionally orriginal ephemera.

Medals in my frames come from local men some with astonishing stories.
Men serving with the local Volunteer later Territorial company WW1 Tank commanders to WW2 Air Crew Killed in Action and Commando history, escapers and gallantry awards.

First image are some of my WW1 groups I am actively seeking items related to people from Stone Staffordshire please PM if you have items to sell or Trade.

Enjoy

yorkstone 17-11-17 02:02 PM

Some Casualty items

1 Attachment(s)
Some casualty items.

yorkstone 17-11-17 02:24 PM

Some WW2 items

1 Attachment(s)
Some WW2 items my Grandfathers medals bottom left 2nd Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment Italy and. Palestine.

yorkstone 17-11-17 02:33 PM

Latest display

1 Attachment(s)
Showing 19th century items in Frame.

Peter Brydon 17-11-17 04:26 PM

Great collecting theme. great items., even nicer in the flesh when I have seen some of them at Staffordshire Military Collectors Society meetings.

Peter

( Hope I got the Society name right )

yorkstone 17-11-17 05:28 PM

Sgt Harry Brough RFA MM

1 Attachment(s)
Recent acquisition MM and Pair to 13730 Sgt Harry Brough RFA Born Stone enlist Stone and returnd home to Arthur Street Stone January 1919

I have been lucky to have found his records on ancestry, sadly no reason for the award off the MM but a wealth of information in his family and dates over seas.

yorkstone 18-11-17 05:55 PM

Thank you Peter hope you are well

Steve

grenadierguardsman 18-11-17 08:31 PM

A great collection you have. Thanks for sharing.
Andy

John Mulcahy 19-11-17 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 427963)
A great collection you have. Thanks for sharing.
Andy

I agree, thanks for sharing I like the idea of bringing collections to life like this by linking to individuals and places.

Roy 19-11-17 02:58 PM

Hi Steve,

What a great collection and theme to concentrate on. I'm always fascinated at the topics we all collect and this just goes to proves they are endless.

Well done and keep up the good work.

Cheerio,

Roy

yorkstone 19-11-17 11:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you guys for your positive comments.

Photograph Stone Territorial marching off to Active Service August 6th 1914 I have looked at this image many times wondering at there out come who in the image were to come home sadly the officer was not to return believed to be Captain Ridgeway or Lt Meakin both killed in the months to come. The Square behind them was to become the location of the War Memorial did any one think of this as they marched away?

Stephen

Mike B 20-11-17 07:20 AM

These are the sort of collections that show the contribution and sacrifice made in local areas - multiply it all up and it demonstrates the 'totality' of wars in which our nation has participated. Amazing to have tracked down and acquired so many items from a relatively small area - I knew Stone quite well having worked in Stafford for a number of years and it really does bring it to life. Some good period maps / photographs would demonstrate the much greater proportional involvement of the area as I imagine it was even more rural in 1914-18 for instance. War Memorials and collections like this are even more humbling when thought of in the contemporary context of smaller populations. Sorry for rambling on ... but I really admire your tribute.
Mike
PS - If you need any help with Commando research always feel free to PM me. Good to see you are showing communities the contribution of former residents.

yorkstone 22-11-17 10:49 AM

Mike PM sent
Stephen

Mike B 22-11-17 04:58 PM

Hi Stephen
No PM received unfortunately - I will keep looking
Mike

Apologies Steve - communication acknowledged ... computers are strange to me ... apparently mine was 'synchronising'

yorkstone 22-11-17 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dear Mike,
many thank you for information re Mo 2 Commando and others attached image of Commando Service Certificate and insignia Medals and Knife of Jim Bott he later returnd to 2nd Battalion North Staffs serving in Palastine with my Grandfather.

After the War he returnd home and became Popular Scout Leader.

Many thanks

Stephen