British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Quiz time: Canadian Grenadier Guards (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526)

Bill A 03-02-08 08:21 PM

Quiz time: Canadian Grenadier Guards

Something a little different. What have we here? Yes, I know that these are the Canadian Grenadier Guards kings crown, perhaps one of the most common cap badges on the market. However, there are some important differences, anyone care to take a stab?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...uardscefkc.jpg

Dwayne H 03-02-08 08:46 PM

Number of points on the flame

........is my guess.

Dwayne

Pylon1357 03-02-08 10:31 PM

I too noted there seems to be more flames (points) on the one to the right. It also appears to me that the right one is a tad larger and does not seem to have the same quality of material or stamping. The band? at the base of the flames seems to be not as defined either.

Of course I could be just blind.

Hey Dwayne, I also take note that two Regiments of the 11th CIB are represented in this thread.

Bill A 04-02-08 11:13 AM

Great observations...

Great observations. The number of flame tips on the grenades stirred a dusty part of the brain, and raised a question about the fusilier and grenade badges. I have cross posted the same on the British part of the forum. Now there is more to dig into on these badges.
The collar of the grenade is quite different.
Have a look at the cyphers and the crowns.

Pylon1357 05-02-08 12:17 AM

Well Bill now you have gone and done it, I dug out my CGG badges from my collection to have a peek (examination) it appears to be the same badge as the one you posted on the right.

I referred to Mazeas' book on page 49 it shows a badge that very closely resembles the one on the left.. listed as G.O. 7/1942.

However, I also looked at Tripp's book (not my favorite) and see on page 17, the badge he shows resembles the one on the right of your post....

Time for a couple shots of JD.

Pylon1357 05-02-08 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Still having trouble posting photos some times.

Now with these two distinct badge styles, and conflicting information in my references....I am at a total loss to explain these badges. I also checked my copy of We Stand on Guard by John Marteinson, and on page 499, he shows the same badge as Tripp.

Luke H 05-02-08 02:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I don't collect Canadian badges at all but may I offer a cypher explaination. George V has a very interlaced cypher if you look at a badge displaying it such as Royal Engineers or RASC. George VI cyper looked slightly less linterlaced with sharper turns in the monogram. (Its also evident on post boxes here in the UK). The one on the right looks more like George VI I'd say and if in Canadian badge production was anything like here in the UK badges became cheaper and less well made as the years progressed (more evidence prehaps of a later badge hence GviR style cypher). Just a possibilty :rolleyes:

Luke

Bill A 16-02-08 06:46 PM

Bang on ....

This thread hasn't attracted much more attention, so I will add my conclusion. Luke, thanks. You were bang on on the age, and on top of that you provided a very good explanation as to the variation, of which I had been unaware.
The badge on the left came from the estate of a soldier from the 87th Bn, Canadian Grenadier Guards, and he was killed in action. The badges had not been messed with (any added) over the time between them being sent to the next of kin and my acquiring them. It is definitely a WW1 badge. The other is a very common CGG badge, often listed on ebay or seen at shows. Inexpensive and easily found. This can't be said for the example on the left.
Again, thanks for the primer on the cyphers Luke.

dragonz18 16-02-08 10:29 PM

Hi Guys !
Im a British Badge collector that does not collect Canadian to any large extent.Just where they overlap with my interests.But would like to add what I feel is a relavent comment here. The left hand badge is a style that appears on GB badges as well. Only ever seen them on the early varieties of GG & this is the only style for WW1's RF 25th Batn.( Royal Frontiersmen Fusiliers).
It also occurs with Volunteer period Artillery Grenade badges ,in w/m (Pre 1908).
So this all adds to the observations of those above, nicely.

Cheers !
Steve