British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Army Air Corps Blue Beret (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73867)

Postwarden 24-05-19 03:22 PM

Army Air Corps Blue Beret

4 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd share this recent find. Dated 14th October 1958 it shows the "recently approved powder blue beret for the Army Air Corps" with a nice wire embroidered badge.

The original caption was pasted on the reverse.

Other examples I have recorded show the badge on a dark blue ground which I assume was adopted later. Can anyone confirm please?

Jon

54Bty 24-05-19 06:47 PM

"On the 14th of March 1958 a square of dark blue cloth was authorised to be worn on the beret behind the badge to make it more distinguishable against the Light Blue."

Marc

leigh kitchen 24-05-19 07:07 PM

According to "Badges and Embellishments" published in 1990, the AAC regimental committee authorised the wearing of a dark blue beret with a light blue patch when on operations or exercise in the field at the discretion of aviation commanders.
Attached personnel to wear their official authorised regimental backings superimposed on the dark blue AAC patch.
Approved by HQ Director of Army Aviation and Airborne Forces between 1973 and 1977, 644 (Parachute) Squadron AAC wore a square 2" badge backing divided horizontally light blue above dark blue on their maroon berets.
"Sightings' of other coloured badge backings on the light blue AAC beret are mentioned, eg maroon for Para Regiment, maroon and blue and Royal Stuart tartan for Guards.

Restrikes-ok 25-05-19 04:28 PM

When looking round their museum i found the Officers light blue peak cap interesting.

leigh kitchen 25-05-19 04:32 PM

I've read that the forage cap was designed by a serving AAC officer as was (I think) a light blue fabric covered pouch.
An ex-AAC forum member may know more about this?

grey_green_acorn 25-05-19 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 479304)
I've read that the forage cap was designed by a serving AAC officer as was (I think) a light blue fabric covered pouch.
An ex-AAC forum member may know more about this?

What about this one?

Tim

leigh kitchen 25-05-19 06:11 PM

That's the photo I saw accompanying the info.

3dg 29-05-19 08:56 AM

Hello,
I have found this thread most interesting.
I only knew of the wire badge on a black square.
So looking at the photos there is a wire badge on light blue same colour as the beret, wire badge on dark blue Square, and an eagle and crown badge for the peaked cap, that is certainly a new one on me, is that a two part badge?
Are there any more?
Is the chap in the first photo Royal Artillery air observation post?
Really interesting,

Chris

Unknownsoldier 29-05-19 12:11 PM

There are also black/dark blue berets with light blue squares and metal badges worn in Northern Ireland. Rare but I have seen photos of them being worn (also mentioned in the PDF that was circulated a while back surrounding the Blue Beret of the AAC.

Postwarden 29-05-19 06:22 PM

In reply to Chris's question the badge is the Army flying badge rather than the RA AOP badge which officially disappeared with the arrival of the post-war Army Air Corps.

Interestingly there is documentary evidence that although no longer authorised for active Army pilots the AOP version was still being worn by current flyers in 1967.

Jon

3dg 29-05-19 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 479704)
In reply to Chris's question the badge is the Army flying badge rather than the RA AOP badge which officially disappeared with the arrival of the post-war Army Air Corps.

Interestingly there is documentary evidence that although no longer authorised for active Army pilots the AOP version was still being worn by current flyers in 1967.

Jon

Hello
Thanks for your reply, I know it's the Army Flying badge, but I noticed Royal Artillery shoulder titles, but your reply does answer the question why he's not wearing the AOP badge, cheers
Chris

MarkGD 30-05-19 05:43 AM

The chap's beret looks brand new, was he re-badged from RA? Regards Mark