British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Help sought re. regiment & approx. date (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80116)

pjm007 02-08-20 06:54 PM

Help sought re. regiment & approx. date

2 Attachment(s)
Hello.

New member here & first post.

I am looking for help in identifying the regiment of the soldier in the first attached image and getting some idea of the likely date of the image.

He appears to be a bassoonist, and although we can't see it, I believe his sleeve badge is the same as in the second image which is from a different soldier's photo (that one said to be the 50th Foot).

The "badge" appears to include an Irish(?) harp, crown, crossed swords(?) and some form of scroll or ribbon. I haven't been able to ID the badge despite multiple google searches.

Many thanks.

cbuehler 04-08-20 02:26 PM

That is the late Victorian era bandsman's badge. Unfortunately no way to ID the regiment as the collars cannot be discerned in the photo.

CB

pjm007 06-08-20 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 518421)
That is the late Victorian era bandsman's badge. Unfortunately no way to ID the regiment as the collars cannot be discerned in the photo.

CB

Thanks. I have learned this since posting! I found another source that said this form of badge was in use from c.1871 onwards. Can you confirm that in relation to your comment about late Victorian?

pjm007 19-08-20 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 518421)

CB

Thanks. Have now seen another image of a different soldier by the same photographer and the collar badge seems to be a sphinx like shape. Does that help identify the regiment or is more detail needed?

Home Guard 19-08-20 06:25 PM

The uniform from what we can see of it does fit the 1870's time period.

Terry

cbuehler 21-08-20 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Home Guard (Post 519999)

Terry

I would say the uniform is post Cardwell reforms 1880's era. The 70's were a bit different. The Sphinx was worn by several regiments at that time.

CB

pjm007 22-08-20 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Home Guard (Post 519999)

Terry

Thanks Terry.

pjm007 22-08-20 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 520196)
I would say the uniform is post Cardwell reforms 1880's era. The 70's were a bit different. The Sphinx was worn by several regiments at that time.

CB

Thanks again.