British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Opinions please Liverpool Pals (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56827)

tonyb 20-09-16 04:13 PM

Opinions please Liverpool Pals

2 Attachment(s)
Finally I've acquired a Liverpool Pals badge, I hope it is genuine?
Any help with this one would be welcome.
Tony.

Paul Spellman 20-09-16 06:15 PM

By far no expert, but I think it ticks a few boxes.
It seems to retain some original blacking which I think may imply an officers badge.
Hope it's good!!
Paul

Alan O 20-09-16 06:16 PM

KLR is your man. However I don't like it.

KLR 21-09-16 06:25 AM

Congratulations Tony - that is (in my opinion) a genuine Pals badge.
Specifically, it is the first issue, Pattern 8520/1915 Other Ranks cap badge. The date of sealing can only be given as late 1915 as the RACD records are missing between May 1915 and March 1916. The badge was specified as being ‘bronzed’ and with loops. Bronzing, in WO parlance, meant either blackening or browning. The former is commonly used by rifle unit and the latter on yeomanry regiment badges. This is almost the only case known for an infantry battalion. Like yours, the 'bronzing' on most of these has worn off leaving a brighter GM / brass finish.
It is not bronze, it is not an officer's badge. The obverse is fine and yes, the reverse has been bashed about a bit (marks left by something like pliers are often seen on loops as many sort to narrow the loop so it penetrated the cap fabric more easily).

This badge was superseded in May 1917 by Pattern 9483 - this was die struck and specified to have a slider. It was obviously cheaper than the solid cast 1915 version. Curiously though, I have seen more of the 1915s than I have the 1917s. They must have made thousands of the 1915 and I just wonder if they were privately financed - just like the silver ones ....

PS I've just noticed that yours has the 'upside down pear' shape loops (rather than the common stalked circle loops) which is what you find on the (also solid cast) silver badges .... !!!!

tonyb 21-09-16 09:20 AM

That's great to know, I'm well pleased to finally have a genuine one. :D
Tony.

at57 21-09-16 11:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Hope you don’t mind me hijacking this post but I would also welcome opinions on the badge please. Size: 35mm x 35mm across the scroll.

Thanks
Andrew

Paul Spellman 21-09-16 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by at57 (Post 376118)
Hi,
Hope you don’t mind me hijacking this post but I would also welcome opinions on the badge please. Size: 35mm x 35mm across the scroll.

Thanks
Andrew

Andrew
I would have reservations on this, particularly the feet of the eagle, if genuine I would say it is a collar badge.
Paul

KLR 21-09-16 12:22 PM

Yes, an officer's collar badge. Gaps between the legs are only found on OSD badges - cap and collar.

(though see one just posted in the infantry badges section !)

Frank Kelley 21-09-16 01:07 PM

I'd certainly be happy with it, although, it would be possible to get a better example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyb (Post 376040)
Finally I've acquired a Liverpool Pals badge, I hope it is genuine?
Any help with this one would be welcome.
Tony.

Frank Kelley 21-09-16 01:09 PM

You just need another identical example to make a pair!

Quote:

Originally Posted by at57 (Post 376118)
Hi,

Thanks
Andrew

at57 21-09-16 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 376134)
You just need another identical example to make a pair!

Or find someone who wants to make a pair! Thanks to everyone for their help.

Regards
Andrew

rizzo 21-09-16 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 376126)
Andrew
I would have reservations on this, particularly the feet of the eagle, if genuine I would say it is a collar badge.
Paul

An eagle Paul?...Surely it's a liver bird.

Peter Brydon 21-09-16 02:50 PM

Definitely an Eagle, discussed in some detail here:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...liverpool+pals

P.B.

Paul Spellman 21-09-16 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzo (Post 376156)
An eagle Paul?...Surely it's a liver bird.

There was a Very Nice :eek: pub on East Prescot Rd Page Moss/Huyton area called the Eagle and Child, this was on the route the Pals marched from Prescot to Liverpool in March 1915,I am not sure if it was so named to comemorate that march or was named after Lord Derby's coat of arms.
I am sure Tonyb will remember the establishment and its illustrious reputation

Paul

rizzo 21-09-16 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brydon (Post 376157)
Definitely an Eagle, discussed in some detail here:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...liverpool+pals

P.B.

Thanks for that Peter...I guess it must be one of those very rare long necked eagles then?...;)