British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Light Horse and Armoured (RAAC) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   New South Wales Lancers badge worn in Boer War? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58398)

badgecollector 02-12-16 06:40 AM

New South Wales Lancers badge worn in Boer War?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys
Was this badge worn by the NSW Lancers in the Boer War or was it only worn locally?
Thanks in advance
BC

badgecollector 02-12-16 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Might as well show the back. Note the strengthening.
Btw, woould this indicate it was English made? Don't recall seeing this on Aussie made badges but certainly common on some British badges.
BC

green_jas 02-12-16 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have seen photographs of it being worn Boer War and within NSW.
Here is a photograph of it being worn on a cap. I think the War Memorial has photographs of it being worn in the Boer War and England.

Thanks,
Jas

badgecollector 02-12-16 08:47 AM

thanks jas
that's a great pic
bc

green_jas 02-12-16 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 384804)
Might as well show the back. Note the strengthening.
Btw, woould this indicate it was English made? Don't recall seeing this on Aussie made badges but certainly common on some British badges.
BC

Further to English made discussion.
See the 1st Australian Light Horse Regt (NSW Lancers) 1900- 1912 period hat badges.
The badge on the left is J.R GAUNT maker on reverse tablet and the one of the right is Australian made (no makers name). If you look closely at both badges you will note that they are many differences in design. Maybe first and second pattern or type 1/type 2.

Thanks,
Jas

slick_mick 02-12-16 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_jas (Post 384846)
Further to English made discussion.
See the 1st Australian Light Horse Regt (NSW Lancers) 1900- 1912 period hat badges.
The badge on the left is J.R GAUNT maker on reverse tablet and the one of the right is Australian made (no makers name). If you look closely at both badges you will note that they are many differences in design. Maybe first and second pattern or type 1/type 2.

Thanks,
Jas

I would just say different manufacturers each with a slightly different die.

Mick

badgecollector 02-12-16 11:48 PM

thanks jas
ive never noticed those differences before. thanks for pointing them out.
in general i find the english made badges of higher quality. both in strike and finish eg gilt, silvered etc
bc

green_jas 03-12-16 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick_mick (Post 384930)
I would just say different manufacturers each with a slightly different die.

Mick

Same as the two patterns Cossum describes in the 1930-42 book in regards to the 1st Armoured Car Regt type 1 and 2.

Donny B. 17-12-16 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 384803)
Hi guys
Was this badge worn by the NSW Lancers in the Boer War or was it only worn locally?
Thanks in advance
BC

At the outbreak of war in South Africa there was a contingent of New South Wales Lancers in Britain where they had participated in a tournament at Islington and undertaken training at Aldershot. A large number of officers and men from this contingent volunteered for service and, on return, disembarked at Cape town rather than return to Australia. This was the first Australian unit to arrive in South Africa.

I expect that it is not beyond the pale to presume that they had and wore the badge you show when they were in Britain and probably still had it in their possession when they disembarked in Cape Town. Whether they continued to wear it, and for how long, are, of course, other questions

Roy 17-12-16 07:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Greetings Gents,

A couple of things I would like to share:

Firstly BC and I were contemplating a trade with this featured badge coming to me. I enquired with BC if this was a Boer War period badge and must congratulate and thank him for being a thoroughly decent chap and taking it upon himself to pose this question to the forum members here on this thread, so a big thank you, not only to BC for being completely open and up front but also to those who have contributed.

Donny - thank you for those very interesting thoughts, which I read with great interest.

I'm pleased to say that the trade BC and I did go ahead and this lovely badge has now arrived, so a couple of updated pics attached for further interest. Just one more way this forum is so great.

Cheers,

Roy