British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry and Special Forces (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   WW1 Australian Comforts Fund Breast/Shoulder Title Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68034)

mikeep 23-05-18 03:11 AM

WW1 Australian Comforts Fund Breast/Shoulder Title Badge

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me anything about this WW1 title for the ACF - obviously originally a breast badge? due to it formally having a brooch fitting attached to it but later converted to a slip on shoulder title. Never heard of this one before!

Cheers, Mike

kingsley 23-05-18 06:10 AM

I doubt if it Australian or Cpmforts Fund, looks American or Canadian to me.

Milmed 23-05-18 09:52 AM

I don't believe this item was converted. The brooch pin is the original attachment piece and the bar above appears to be for a ribbon. I would think there would be some kind of medallion that would hang below this 'title' and be attached to the ribbon. I have seen similar set up on nursing badges/medallions and life saving badges/medallions.

Unfortunately I am not aware of the meaning of the ACF title in this context.

Steven

badgecollector 23-05-18 11:20 AM

hi mike
im pretty sure it appears in the Bob Grey collection in the adelaide barracks.
i think its a good chance it is australian comforts fund and circa WW1
will try and find a pic
bc

Ironside410 23-05-18 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike & BC

Attached is an old picture of the ACF badge as it originally appeared in the Bob Grey Collection, not sure if that is how they now have it displayed in Keswick Barracks.

Dennis

badgecollector 23-05-18 10:24 PM

thanks denis
yep, thats it
bc

gronksmil 1 10-02-19 07:24 AM

acf badge ww1

hi,in the book History of the australian comforts fund by S.H.Bowden page 197
is a picture of the two badges.your badge was issued in gold,silver and bronze
with red cloth for the gold badge,blue for silver,white for bronze.The red star
took over from your badge.It is a scarce badge.I hope this helps.Mike.

Lancer 17 11-02-19 01:28 AM

Hi Guys

My mother was a member of the Comforts Fund during the Second WW, this was a group of local ladies who gathered at each others home and knitted socks, scarves and sleeveless jumpers etc to be sent to the men at the front

I wasn't around till after the war so don't remember what they wore, however mum never had any sort of badge.

Their group continued into the 1970's, they changed from meeting in the evening to meeting in the afternoon and only stopped meeting when there wasn't enough left to get enough ladies to make it worth wild meeting. They continued making a donation at each meeting and donated the money to a charity about twice a year.

I have also just picked up a "tinnie" badge about 1 1/4" in diameter with a pin back with an Aussie light horseman and his horse with the words, Australian Comforts Fund, February 1918. There is no makers name. I assume that this was some form of funds raiser.

Regards

Phil.

kingsley 11-02-19 05:13 AM

The rarest one I think is the red enamelled officer star cap badge, will see if I can find a picture of it in my file.

kingsley 11-02-19 05:37 AM

ACF cap badge

1 Attachment(s)
Red enamel cap badge worn with army uniform. I have a picture of an over age WW2 senior officer wearing it on his cap, also has a chest full of WW1 medals. Taken from the official history "Proud Story".

fairlie63 11-02-19 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironside410 (Post 444491)
Mike & BC

Attached is an old picture of the ACF badge as it originally appeared in the Bob Grey Collection, not sure if that is how they now have it displayed in Keswick Barracks.

Dennis

Hey Dennis,

Are you able to tell me what the number is on the disc under the VAD badge next to it?

Cheers,
Keith

badgecollector 11-02-19 11:58 AM

hi keith
looks like a 7 with maybe another number after it? 70?78?
bc

gronksmil 1 12-03-19 05:00 PM

A.C.F. ww2 commissioner badge

Hi Kingsley, how rare is that badge you posted? I got one the other day,it came from W.A. I am having trouble with my computer at the moment but as soon as it is working i will post a photo of it.Regards Mike.

kingsley 13-03-19 04:01 AM

Mike, the badge is marked "Commissioner" so apparently it was not in general use by all. Counting yours, I have only ever heard of three examples. If you were a more junior officer near the front line, the Geneva Convention said you had to wear some kind of badge with a military uniform so that you would not be shot as a spy if captured. I doubt if this would have impressed the Japanese.

Lancer 17 13-03-19 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 472011)
Mike, the badge is marked "Commissioner" so apparently it was not in general use by all. Counting yours, I have only ever heard of three examples. If you were a more junior officer near the front line, the Geneva Convention said you had to wear some kind of badge with a military uniform so that you would not be shot as a spy if captured. I doubt if this would have impressed the Japanese.

Boom boom, good one Colin !

regards Phil.