British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Military Buttons (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Is this button off a uniform?? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74017)

Jackhr 03-06-19 11:45 PM

Is this button off a uniform??

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all
is this metal button 17mm size of a uniform to the 58th a foot?? Maybe a cuff button any help would be much appreciated.

Rob

btns 04-06-19 07:29 PM

I think it is.
I'll check when I am back home from rainy Yorkshire.

grenadierguardsman 04-06-19 07:32 PM

Is it a pewter button from the 58th of foot ?
Andy

btns 04-06-19 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 480228)
Is it a pewter button from the 58th of foot ?
Andy

It is almost certainly brass. The shank is thin wire soldered to the back of the button. 58th Foot it is.

grenadierguardsman 04-06-19 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btns (Post 480232)
It is almost certainly brass. The shank is thin wire soldered to the back of the button. 58th Foot it is.

Brass ? Looked like the crimean period buttons i have, but to the grenadier Guards. Brass it is then.
andy

Jackhr 04-06-19 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by btns (Post 480232)

Thanks for the reply , so is it a cuff , shoulder board or tunic button and also are these hard to find and what would it be worth as I dont collect buttons as it came in a job lot with some badges.

Thanks Rob

tynesideirish 04-06-19 10:19 PM

Nice Other Rank tunic button. I wouldn't get your hopes up about the price but they are quite scarce, non the less.

Jackhr 04-06-19 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tynesideirish (Post 480252)
Nice Other Rank tunic button. I wouldn't get your hopes up about the price but they are quite scarce, non the less.

Thanks for the info and yes I dont expect it to be worth millions but as I have no clue would 15 Quid be to much or to little??

Rob

Artynut 05-06-19 02:17 AM

It appears to be in very good shape for over 200 years. (It looks like it may have been dug) I’m sure if you start it at your suggested price on the well known auction site, you’ll get more! Best of luck, D.J.

Jackhr 10-06-19 10:43 PM

So this is a 58th regiment of foot Rutlanshire button ?? as i am no expert on these type of things.

Cheers Rob

Mike B 11-06-19 08:24 AM

Does this link help you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/58th_(...giment_of_Foot
Note the service history.
Mike

GTB 11-06-19 11:52 AM

I don't wish to sound a spoilsport but my first impression was that it could perhaps be a re-enactors button. I should have a couple similar (NOT 58th) somewhere and these resemble pewter. You should be in the best position to verify as there is no better way than handling. Photographic images do not always convey reality

GTB

btns 11-06-19 08:39 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are examples of two dug buttons, one brass and one pewter.

Pewter buttons with a small cast shank do exist,
...Found one, pewter, 26 mm, shank broken off. 3rd Guards.

Jackhr 11-06-19 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 480895)
I don't wish to sound a spoilsport but my first impression was that it could perhaps be a re-enactors button. I should have a couple similar (NOT 58th) somewhere and these resemble pewter. You should be in the best position to verify as there is no better way than handling. Photographic images do not always convey reality

GTB

As not had pewter buttons before and I dont want to scrape the paint off , but if you can show a similar button that is a copy I would be grateful. This button came out of a collector who collected for 60 yrs and this was part of his badge collection ? But you never know do you?

Thanks Rob

GTB 12-06-19 11:10 AM

Rob

Will hunt it out but don't hold your breath. Haven't seen it around in ages but will eventually turn up. Misplaced as it's a re-enactor's item.

GTB