British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   All other Colonial Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Malawi Help (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76628)

blackie131 01-01-20 02:54 PM

Malawi Help

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Looking for some help on identifying some Malawi Badges please.

The Badge under Number 1, I got with a small collection of South African Badges, it's showing in Colin Owen's Book Military Badges and Insignia of Southern Africa (3646A), as the Malawi Army Cap badge, so what does that make the badges grouped together in Number 2?

I'm thinking it may be the 1st issue badge and the others came afterwards?

Any help would be great, Thanks

Flatdog 02-01-20 04:03 AM

Hello,

#1 is actually the Hertfordshire Light Infantry.I have seen this many times described as Malawi Army. I can find no real evidence to support this. However,
before becoming Malawi, it was part of the Federation of Malawi and Rhodesia.

It may have been worn by a Seconded or contract officer from the Herts LI, and adopted as an interim measure. This is a plausible explanation taken with a grain of salt.

The Infantry arm wears the Malawi Rifles badge which bears a resemblance to The Rhodesia Light Infantry badge when Malawi and Rhodesia formed a Federation. When the Federation ended, The Rhodesian Light Infantry badge with St.Edwards crown was worn until UDI by the Rhodesians and the newly independent Malawi went there own way, hence the Rifles badge.

#2 Is the General Service badge. It was made in brass, silver,and anodised aluminium.

Clay

Madziro 02-01-20 06:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
In 2005 while serving with the SA Army we did an exercise with several southern African states. Being a badge collector, took these photos which may be of use / reference. The Malawi Rifles are direct descendants of the Kings African Rifles (1st and 2nd Bns were recruited and based in the old Nyasaland now Malawi), hence the bugle in the badge design.

Hoot 02-01-20 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatdog (Post 496160)
Hello,

#1 is actually the Hertfordshire Light Infantry.I have seen this many times described as Malawi Army. I can find no real evidence to support this. However,
before becoming Malawi, it was part of the Federation of Malawi and Rhodesia.

It may have been worn by a Seconded or contract officer from the Herts LI, and adopted as an interim measure. This is a plausible explanation taken with a grain of salt.

The Infantry arm wears the Malawi Rifles badge which bears a resemblance to The Rhodesia Light Infantry badge when Malawi and Rhodesia formed a Federation. When the Federation ended, The Rhodesian Light Infantry badge with St.Edwards crown was worn until UDI by the Rhodesians and the newly independent Malawi went there own way, hence the Rifles badge.

#2 Is the General Service badge. It was made in brass, silver,and anodised aluminium.

Clay

Clay, it's Herefordshire, not Hertfordshire.

grey_green_acorn 02-01-20 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Herefordshire Light Infantry K&K 2394 sealed 9 December 1949 in white metal

Tim

Flatdog 03-01-20 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 496210)
Clay, it's Herefordshire, not Hertfordshire.

Oops, Thanks for the correction, doing from memory:o