British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   USA regimental police brassard (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75883)

norfolk regt man 07-11-19 08:08 PM

USA regimental police brassard

Hi all, anyone got a photo of one of the above brassards. Thanks Andrew

leigh kitchen 07-11-19 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The only thing similar I have:

norfolk regt man 07-11-19 10:32 PM

Thanks for that photo. The reason I asked is because a royal Anglian rp and a USA rp swapped brassards. Then royal Anglian badges got fitted to the USA item. I just wondered what it started like

Flatdog 08-11-19 04:11 AM

Hi,

US does not have Regimental Police, they have Military Police. Those brassards are usually Black vinyl with white lettering "MP" sometimes "OD" (Officer of the Day etc. Usually with a divisional/brigade patch above. Also you will find these in Olive Drab or even sand colour to blend with camo uniform.

leigh kitchen 08-11-19 07:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up this "MP" vinyl brassard in Cyprus in 1978 (the lady running a Nicosia bar gave it to me along with the Canadian one), to me it had an American look to it but I took it to be a Canadian or other UNFICYP contingent one.

norfolk regt man 08-11-19 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks leigh and flatdog, heres a photo of the said bassard I have been able to find.

The two letters have a USA look to them I think

Chacal 08-11-19 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 491688)
The only thing similar I have:

Hi Leigh

Very nice brassard, in case you aren't aware the "SP" is likely to stand for Security Platoon, I had one many years ago from a US Army Tank Training Unit.

There were also Unit Police "UP" at one time, and I once saw a WWII Corps Police "CP" brassard.

All the best

Graham

Flatdog 09-11-19 04:22 AM

Leigh,

The MP one is American, The other worn by the "Police Regimentaire" ,Royal 22e Regiment the "Van Doos".

Flatdog 09-11-19 04:26 AM

Norfolk,

That is a regimental one cloth with R and P embroidered. A lot of them have Brass letters applied. Very nice.

leigh kitchen 09-11-19 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chacal (Post 491790)
Hi Leigh

Very nice brassard, in case you aren't aware the "SP" is likely to stand for Security Platoon, I had one many years ago from a US Army Tank Training Unit.

There were also Unit Police "UP" at one time, and I once saw a WWII Corps Police "CP" brassard.

All the best

Graham

Thanks, the SP brassard is another one of those items I have identified in the past but now "the labels fallen off" and I couldn't remember what the SP stood for.

leigh kitchen 09-11-19 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatdog (Post 491810)
Leigh,

The MP one is American, The other worn by the "Police Regimentaire" ,Royal 22e Regiment the "Van Doos".

Ta, I thought the Canadian brassard was the 22nd because of the "reverse" lettering and they were in Cyprus at the time, the American one, well, it looked American but I didn't think it likely that it actually was.