British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   RHA Egypt post WWI (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79508)

JerryBB 29-06-20 03:29 PM

RHA Egypt post WWI

5 Attachment(s)
a recent pick which I shared on the great war forum, where much insightful information was supplied.

among the medals are a MC, two MM's and a number of mons bars whilst a surveyor's arm badge is uncommon as well as a gunnery prize arm badge was on show.

And two different sun helmet flashes

54Bty 29-06-20 03:53 PM

The badge on the sleeve in the last but one picture is a Gunnery Prize.

Marc

JerryBB 29-06-20 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 514477)
The badge on the sleeve in the last but one picture is a Gunnery Prize.

Marc

indeed, my error in transcribing the information, that is why it is on the left arm not the right

manchesters 29-06-20 04:24 PM

I am fairly sure the badge worn by the WO1 is not a surveyors badge (S in wreath).

I think its a trick of the camera.

I can only think he is the Bandmaster and that he has worn a separate Lyre under one of his large Kings Crowns.

Anyone any thoughts on that?

regards

JerryBB 29-06-20 04:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 514484)
I am fairly sure the badge worn by the WO1 is not a surveyors badge (S in wreath).

I can only think he is the Bandmaster and that he has worn a separate Lyre under one of his large Kings Crowns.

regards

it is the surveyors badge, S in wreath

manchesters 29-06-20 04:33 PM

Jerry,

Yes, it is, cant argue with the close up.

I would also say it is the crowned version with the small crown just tucked in the fold.

regards

JerryBB 29-06-20 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 514486)
Jerry,

Yes, it is, cant argue with the close up.

I would also say it is the crowned version with the small crown just tucked in the fold.

regards

It could be, hard to be 100% but it seems to have a dark outline around a paler patch continuing above it.

cbuehler 29-06-20 04:54 PM

As a Pagri flash collector, I am curious about those FSH flashes. Can't make them out, but would assume the lozenge shaped one to be RHA and the square a different regiment? The regular field artillery had lozenge shaped flashes, but not elongated as the one in the photo.

CB

JerryBB 29-06-20 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 514488)
As a Pagri flash collector, I am curious about those FSH flashes. Can't make them out, but would assume the lozenge shaped one to be RHA and the square a different regiment? The regular field artillery had lozenge shaped flashes, but not elongated as the one in the photo.

CB

unfortunately the flashes do not scan to any higher detail, and only their shapes can be seen.

cbuehler 29-06-20 10:48 PM

The helmets are facing each other with flashes obviously on different sides.
If they are all from the same unit, could they be wearing a pair of flashes differing on each side of the helmet? Unlikely, but very unusual if so.

CB

JerryBB 30-06-20 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 514573)
The helmets are facing each other with flashes obviously on different sides.
If they are all from the same unit, could they be wearing a pair of flashes differing on each side of the helmet? Unlikely, but very unusual if so.

CB

that was my thought, two flashes for the same unit but possibly two different units

grumpy 30-06-20 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 514484)

regards

The WO I is wearing a WO I badge, that is all.
One WO II is wearing rank crown, and S wreath something above .... star or crown. RA Survey qualification. Very very unusual, never seen that combination in a photo.

Regarding bandmasters I believe that only centrally formed RA bands had that establishment ... this from memory.