British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   SAAS Brevet Age (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79373)

Timmy 23-06-20 03:22 AM

SAS Brevet Age

2 Attachment(s)
OK guys sorry to be adding to the ever growing list of 'what do you think' threads but im a bit stumped. I have limited experience with these wings and am still learning but am purchasing a pair of wings off a friend (also a well respected student of militaria). He is selling them as WW2 so come with a hefty price tag but i today had a friend tell me they are 1960's era. im in a bit of a bind so would much appreciate your help here.

thanks in advance !

castagain 23-06-20 03:50 AM

Timmy,

There are other SAS experts on the Forum who no doubt can tell you much more about this particular wing than I can, but I thought you might want some information right away.

This style of SAS wing, sometimes called the “moth” wing because of its distinctive shape, is typically associated with the Malaya campaigns of the late 1940s to early 1950s, although there are some collectors who say the wing was in use earlier, at the end of WW2.

If you can wait to conclude the deal until the Forum’s SAS collectors weigh in, then they can give you expert advice about the wing’s era, authenticity, and market value. Best of luck!

Stay well,
Donovan

3battalion 23-06-20 04:16 AM

As Donovan mentioned, I believe it's a 50-60's era wing because there's photographic evidence of it being worn in this era but not in WW2.

What is the asking price on the wing?

Paul

Timmy 23-06-20 04:56 AM

thanks Donovan, seems pretty much what i was told today.....

Timmy 23-06-20 05:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks Paul ! I have attached a picture of the badges im buying .... the lot is quite expensive but i think the SAS badge component is 360 gbp.

3battalion 23-06-20 04:25 PM

Hi Timmy,

That seems a bit steep for that wing. From memory this type is in the 200-250 range. Are you looking for a WW2 example?

Paul

Timmy 24-06-20 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3battalion (Post 513800)
Hi Timmy,

That seems a bit steep for that wing. From memory this type is in the 200-250 range. Are you looking for a WW2 example?

Paul

Ouch Looks like I a ways off there !

Can anyone else add to this ? The seller is a friend and I and I want to be Sure :)
Cheers
Tim

MarkGD 24-06-20 08:14 AM

Timmy, just to be helpful, Paul & Donovan are very well respected experts in the Airborne & Special Forces insignia field. i would take their word to the bank - Regards Mark

Luke H 24-06-20 12:09 PM

I would agree with the others. Whilst I do not collect SF items I do regularly look at dealers sites and the prices.

For Malaya era wing c.£250 seems to be dealer list price - which naturally means they can be had for less not via dealers if you preserve and do the necessary research before buying.

JON188 24-06-20 08:56 PM

Hi Timmy,
The style of wing in question does have photographic evidence of it in use during WW2, but as my learned friends have already pointed out, its more associated with post war Malaya.
I just missed one of these on evay at the weekend as it sold for £180.
£360 is way off the mark.
£200 max.
Happy collecting
Jon

3battalion 25-06-20 01:41 AM

Hi Jon,

I'd be interested to see any photos of this wing being worn during the war if you have them please? A couple of years back I was trying to pin down exactly when this wing appeared with no luck.

Thanks

Paul

Frank Kelley 25-06-20 08:23 AM

I would have thought it would still be possible to actually buy good example of the ordnance Pattern 13123 parachutist badge, which do date from 1944, for that sort of money, which is certainly what I would do if I wanted something from the war, without having to break the bank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3battalion (Post 513800)
Hi Timmy,

Paul

3battalion 25-06-20 01:45 PM

Agreed Frank. I believe these sell for around 250 or so.

Paul

JON188 25-06-20 03:18 PM

Ww2 photographic evidence

Hi Paul et al,
The photo is in a private collection of a member on this forum (or was).
I can ask of it can be shared of course.
Regards
Jon

3battalion 25-06-20 04:03 PM

Thanks Jon.

Good collecting

Paul