British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Militaria (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Eagle (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79268)

Third Tankie 17-06-20 07:20 AM

Eagle

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Another mystery found in my Grandfathers oddments. It has the look of a bonnet eagle but it has also been suggested that it might have come from a motorcycle............:confused:

Thanks

Kevin

yorkstone 17-06-20 07:18 PM

Kevin
How big is this could this be off a hand carried flag pole reminiscent of the Eagle used ww2 by Parachute troops,
This looks to be a very nice piece you believe WW1, the eagle Adler was used prolifically at this time and later in the 30’s 40’s period.

There was a Adler car but there eagle appears more deco in appearance.

Regards

Stephen

Third Tankie 17-06-20 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve,

Another image with a ruler in shot.

Kevin

RSM 17-06-20 10:48 PM

Kevin, I'm inclined to agree that it is a bonnet/radiator mascot for a car. I agree it does have a 'Germanic' look about it, but the Americans like their eagles too and my money is it is American 1920's/30's? (maybe Italian??) If it should be anything to do with WW2 paratroopers it's certainly not from the III Reich - no swastika.

yorkstone 18-06-20 11:51 AM

Kevin,
3 inch a good size it would be very sort after if off a bike or car from that period or if a military connection worth mounting on a piece of Oak to display.
I rate this item.

Regards

Stephen

Third Tankie 18-06-20 12:44 PM

Thanks to both for your valued opinions and I do think it has a vehicle connection as the eagle used by the Falschirmjaeger shows two wings in profile not one as on my eagle.
Although I have looked at a number of country origins I am still leaning towards Italy or Germany as my Grandfather served in both North Africa and Europe and the other badges in the tin he gave me contained mainly German and Italian items.
Steve, I agree it will look good mounted on a suitable base, my next project perhaps.

Again, thankyou both.

Kevin

Chacal 18-06-20 07:11 PM

Kevin

It would look good mounted as the top of a walking stick, but unfortunately over the years acids in sweat would damage the surface.

Graham

leigh kitchen 18-06-20 07:28 PM

Not to mention the wear and tear incurred by clubbing footpads with said walking stick.

GTB 19-06-20 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Tankie (Post 513160)
Steve,

Another image with a ruler in shot.

Kevin

I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks but is there miniscule lettering on the wing feathers?

GTB

Third Tankie 19-06-20 12:08 PM

GTB,

Thanks for your post but, sadly, after 10 minutes of intense scrutiny there is no miniscule lettering on either the wing or tail feathers.

Thanks for looking though.

Kevin