British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Lincolnshire, East Lancashire and Tie (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75835)

DDEV 05-11-19 12:50 AM

Lincolnshire, East Lancashire and Tie

3 Attachment(s)
What do members think about these two badges?

I looked at many pictures of each on the world wide web to come up with some observations of my own.

The East Lancashire badge’s sphinx seems a little different than those I’ve viewed. Its tail seems smaller and the neck appears narrower.

With the Lincolnshire badge I’m always drawn to the ribs which don’t seem to quite the same on many badges and on the back the tabs which attach the scroll seem larger than others viewed.

While on the topic of sphinges (had to look that up) can anyone tell me about this tie by Eruex of London?

leigh kitchen 05-11-19 07:05 AM

The tie - front and back badges of The Rifles.

oc14 05-11-19 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 491453)
The tie - front and back badges of The Rifles.

The Rifle badge has a crown above the bugle - I suspect that this tie maight be related to the short lived RGBW(LI)

PL

leigh kitchen 05-11-19 10:48 AM

Yes - my mistake.

Frank Kelley 05-11-19 01:46 PM

I do not really like either, in particular, the Lincolnshire Regiment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDEV (Post 491451)
What do members think about these two badges?

I looked at many pictures of each on the world wide web to come up with some observations of my own.

The East Lancashire badge’s sphinx seems a little different than those I’ve viewed. Its tail seems smaller and the neck appears narrower.

With the Lincolnshire badge I’m always drawn to the ribs which don’t seem to quite the same on many badges and on the back the tabs which attach the scroll seem larger than others viewed.

While on the topic of sphinges (had to look that up) can anyone tell me about this tie by Eruex of London?

DDEV 05-11-19 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc14 (Post 491463)
The Rifle badge has a crown above the bugle - I suspect that this tie maight be related to the short lived RGBW(LI)

PL

The local battalion, Algonquin Regt., is listed (by Wikipedia) as a unit allied to the RGBW(LI). I am not sure what an alliance between regiments entail, but could it explain how the tie made its way to a thrift store in northern Ontario?

Alan O 05-11-19 06:14 PM

Both are not the best examples but likely to be WW2.

DDEV 08-11-19 02:27 PM

Thanks for taking the time to help sort through my badges.

If I could have a little clarification, please. Are these poorly made authentic badges that no right minded collector would want?

The display that will be made some day will be of badges of British regiments that fought as part of the 1st Canadian Army in 1945. I would be ok with poorly made badges that reflected the reality of the times, but fakes will go into a box that I can cart around to shows so I don't make the same mistake.

cbuehler 08-11-19 10:52 PM

As mentioned, they are genuine badges and are not what I would call poorly made. During both world wars, economy measures and need sometimes resulted in badges that were not of the best quality.
Both of your badges are common and certainly represent what was actually issued and worn.

CB

DDEV 13-11-19 05:37 PM

Thanks again, CB, for the clarification and corroboration of previous posts.