British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Home Front (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Forthcoming 'Helmets of the British Home Front' book? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68673)

ARPCDHG 03-07-18 03:09 PM

Forthcoming 'Helmets of the British Home Front' book?

I saw a leaflet today for a book called 'Helmets of the British Home Front' - by George and Adrian Blake. It says it will be the first book dedicated to the markings on non-military helmets used in Britain, with over 300 pages and over 1,000 helmets in full colour. If the range of rare helmets posted on the leaflet is anything to go by, it will be a cracking book. Does anybody know anything else about the book, such as when it will be published, price etc?

Desert Rat 04-07-18 02:20 AM

Where did you hear about the book ARPCDHG?

JerryBB 04-07-18 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know one of the authors and it has a few from my collection in it.

Due out soon.....

Postwarden 04-07-18 11:15 AM

Had not seen the flyer but have seen a draft of the book - some of my helmets are in it - and would thoroughly recommend it. A superb and well-researched book.

Jon

ARPCDHG 04-07-18 12:37 PM

Brilliant news - looking forward to it.

Could forum members update this thread when the publication date/price/order details are announced.

Thanks.

Postwarden 04-07-18 04:37 PM

I have contacted the authors who tell me it's not yet published and no firm date yet. I will keep members posted.

Jon

Blue Puttees 04-07-18 10:55 PM

Thanks Jon.

2 Black Bands 10-07-18 04:23 PM

Hi....I'm here (now).....

Thank you "Post Warden" and JJB for your kind words of support.

I'm currently proof reading and trying to iron-out all those areas which will be picked apart by buyers/readers....although I fear I'll never reach that point....so I guess it'll be "warts'n'all".......but it DOES look good!

Postwarden 11-07-18 08:54 AM

Welcome to the Forum. It does indeed look good. Can't wait.

Jon

2 Black Bands 12-07-18 02:22 PM

Thank you Mr "Post Warden" ;)...I was thinking of joining as "Chief Warden" to outrank you....something I'll never be able to do in the real world!

As has already been mentioned, and at the moment at least, it's my intention to wrap the book up at somewhere like 320 pages....and there's already about 1,000 different helmets (photographs - colour too) in there along with some period b&w shots although I continue to stress about the issue of Copyright...although as Post Warden knows I'm getting over those fears (thank you Jon for that). There's a number of chapters covering AFS/NFS, Wardens, Police, Industrial ARP, Gas, FG, IOs, Repair, Casualty Services, Ambulance, Rescue, FAP, Messengers, HQ, WVS etc etc..and some stuff in there about non-standard helmets and bits that bolted on to them.....but it's restricted in the main to the markings...NOT the helmets themselves so don't expect to learn a lot about the Teddy Toy Company or the Harrison Brothers!

ARPCDHG 12-07-18 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Black Bands (Post 448403)
Thank you Mr "Post Warden" ;)...I was thinking of joining as "Chief Warden" to outrank you....something I'll never be able to do in the real world!

As has already been mentioned, and at the moment at least, it's my intention to wrap the book up at somewhere like 320 pages....and there's already about 1,000 different helmets (photographs - colour too) in there along with some period b&w shots although I continue to stress about the issue of Copyright...although as Post Warden knows I'm getting over those fears (thank you Jon for that). There's a number of chapters covering AFS/NFS, Wardens, Police, Industrial ARP, Gas, FG, IOs, Repair, Casualty Services, Ambulance, Rescue, FAP, Messengers, HQ, WVS etc etc..and some stuff in there about non-standard helmets and bits that bolted on to them.....but it's restricted in the main to the markings...NOT the helmets themselves so don't expect to learn a lot about the Teddy Toy Company or the Harrison Brothers!

Any idea of an approximate ETA and price?

2 Black Bands 13-07-18 09:52 AM

Launch date WAS going to be in time for the War and Peace Show...but sadly that's slipped.....but I'm hopeful of getting it done, dusted and printed this year. Price....well, that's not finalised either but I'll be looking to cover costs of course...and that will be driven in the main by the print costs obviously. Not very helpful I know....sorry about that.

realownlee 13-07-18 07:26 PM

I have, somewhere! a tatty / rusty, standard black 'tommy' style helmet which has E F F painted to front, ww11? Emergency Fire Fighter? post ww11 use?
Out of a loft many years ago (sisters boyfriend) with another standard black one, and a ww11 long tube gas mask he kept the mask and gave me the helmets!

In the book?

2 Black Bands 13-07-18 09:55 PM

Nope.....and not seen one of those either. My guess is that it'd be an Industrial ARP helmet with EEP representing the Company's initials - I've not come across EEP as a function/role title. I come across at least one new (to me) one every week...I guess you've just given me next weeks (I've already found this weeks unknown one!)

Rob Miller 17-07-18 01:13 PM

Have you seen my Tesco helmet discussed previously here?

Rob

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ighlight=tesco