British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Today's haul. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74817)

High Wood 04-08-19 12:14 PM

Today's haul.

3 Attachment(s)
A nice nixed lot of items this morning, some of which will be offered for sale.

grenadierguardsman 04-08-19 01:59 PM

Nice lot.
Andy

Jeff Mc William 04-08-19 02:59 PM

Can't make out the ribbon bar ?? Is it USA ? Jeff

PS: In answer to my own question, Yes !

From top & L to R ;
American Campaign Medal.
European, Africa, Middle East Campaigns, USA WW2 Victory Medal, Army of Occupation Medal.

A nice bar. Regards Jeff

The top "ribbon" on the Korea plaque mystifies me tho'

leigh kitchen 04-08-19 03:22 PM

The top ribbon is the US Presidential Citation.

CB101 04-08-19 03:23 PM

Is the top ribbon bar the Presidential Citation awarded to the Glosters?

Jeff Mc William 04-08-19 04:11 PM

Citation Honour

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB101 (Post 485385)
Is the top ribbon bar the Presidential Citation awarded to the Glosters?

Yes. Thanks Leigh & CB. And well deserved too !

High Wood 04-08-19 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is probably a veteran made item, quite crudely made and certainly not commercially produced.

High Wood 04-08-19 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William (Post 485383)

From top & L to R ;
American Campaign Medal.
European, Africa, Middle East Campaigns, USA WW2 Victory Medal, Army of Occupation Medal.

A nice bar. Regards Jeff

Jeff,

many thanks for the update. I knew that it wasn't British or Commonwealth having spent half an hour going through the Medal Year book. I am very pleased that it is WW2 American. I have no idea what it is doing this side of the pond though.

Simon.

High Wood 04-08-19 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also have no idea why somebody would cut the embroidered section out of a woven Combined Operations formation sign either.

tonyb 04-08-19 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 485394)
I also have no idea why somebody would cut the embroidered section out of a woven Combined Operations formation sign either.

Neat moths?
Tony.

Frank Kelley 04-08-19 06:03 PM

:D!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyb (Post 485396)
Neat moths?
Tony.

High Wood 04-08-19 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyb (Post 485396)
Neat moths?
Tony.

Yes indeed, I have just tried chewing what little remains and it tastes like Marmite, so I guess that moths don't like it either.

Jeff Mc William 05-08-19 09:28 AM

Further Details

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 485393)
Jeff,

many thanks for the update. I knew that it wasn't British or Commonwealth having spent half an hour going through the Medal Year book. I am very pleased that it is WW2 American. I have no idea what it is doing this side of the pond though.

Simon.

Yes Simon, a good "find". My source was "American Medals & Decorations" by Evans Kerrigan, pub. Mallard Press. NY 1990 :
The first ribbon might be better called USA Campaign Medal WW2. This had no bars.
The two bronze stars on the second ribbon denote two specific Campaigns in the area denoted (ie in this case Europe, Africa, or Middle East). Whether or not the actual medal had named bars to this effect, the book does not say. Possibly another forum member may be able to enlighten us.
The USA WW2 Victory Medal had no bars (unlike the WW1 medal which had several Army and Navy bars)
The US Army of occupation medal had either a "Germany" or "Japan" bar. I suspect your recipient had the "Germany" bar.
All the best. Jeff

Frank Kelley 09-08-19 06:59 AM

The pair of printed Combined Operations are nice, although, it is a shame they are both facing the same way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 485364)
A nice nixed lot of items this morning, some of which will be offered for sale.