British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Royal Marine Police/Admiralty Civil Police Buttons (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69260)

sailorbear 14-08-18 05:43 PM

Royal Marine Police/Admiralty Civil Police Buttons

Hi there, Anyone know what design of buttons were worn on the uniform tunic by constables of the Royal Marine Police and the Admiralty Civil Police? anyone have images they would be willing to share?

Regards

Tony

Sunray9 14-08-18 07:30 PM

Hopefully, '1664' will be along soon with an answer !

Neil M.ex14/20H.MAN A.C.F 14-08-18 08:56 PM

Hi Tony

I think it was an anchor surmounted by a kings crown in white metal,and maybe also chrome.

Regards
Neil

Chacal 14-08-18 09:15 PM

Hi Tony

The Royal Marine Police buttons bore "R.M.P." with a rope border around the edge.

I believe the Admiralty Civil Police used the same buttons as the Admiralty Constabualry, into which they merged with the R. Marine Police in 1949, as Neil says, the buttons had a fouled anchor topped by the King's Crown.

All the best

Graham

stonehouse boy 15-08-18 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 192351

Hi Tony,
Two from my collection, Royal Marine Police

John

btns 15-08-18 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do these fit into this thread as well?
If not, who used them?

sailorbear 15-08-18 11:04 PM

Royal Marine Police/Admiralty Civil Police Buttons

Cheers all, fantastic information, many thanks.

Tony

Guzzman 20-08-18 08:27 PM

btns

Re your white metal naval buttons. I've got the same problem as you! I've got several of these mystery buttons in various variations. All follow the same format as RN buttons - lined backgrounds and plain rims for 'ratings' buttons and rope rim and plain background for 'officers' buttons. I've also got Kings and Queens Crown examples.

I've been trying to identify these for years but without any luck. I seem to recall finding something that said they had something to do with QARNNS but I can't remember where I read it! And that certainly wouldn't account for your VQC example. I've asked about them on the forum before but without any luck.

Another button that has me puzzled is a standard colour King's Crown button with a roped border but with a lined background. Any ideas?

Pete

btns 20-08-18 09:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is part of the solution to your KC with roped border and lined background puzzle.

Can you work out, or even better, do you know what this is?

(more parts to follow later this week)

GTB 21-08-18 09:37 AM

Definitely not British. Backmark typical of Imperial Austro-Hungarian design. Apart from a lined background the Crown is not a QVC. The orb cross is wrong

GTB

Guzzman 21-08-18 12:55 PM

The ones I have are British made - I forget the company but I will check later. Mine are all King's Crown buttons and the lines in the background are clearly defined, as on a ratings button. I've only ever come across King's Crown examples and I have quite a few of them. I've always wondered if they might be WWII produced buttons where the manufacturer simply got it wrong.

Re the white-metal buttons. I have lined and unlined examples of these. I even have a couple of anodised examples the size and exact pattern of a CPOs cuff buttons.

I would dearly love to know what both these mystery buttons are! I've had them both for years!

Thanks

Pete

btns 21-08-18 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 452052)
Definitely not British. Backmark typical of Imperial Austro-Hungarian design. Apart from a lined background the Crown is not a QVC. The orb cross is wrong

GTB

Yes. It is Austro-Hungarian made, possibly for the Royal Greek Navy.

btns 21-08-18 09:22 PM

My silver plated m/1843 QVC Royal Navy officers' buttons are all high quality. Back marks are:

Superior, Quality
Extra Plated, M.S. & J.D.
<swan>, Persta et Praevair

My white metal KC Royal Navy lined, plain rim button is:
- Waterbury Button Co, Made in USA - a white alloy with traces of gilding

The chrome buttons are:
- Waterbury Button Co, Made in USA
- Stokes & Sons, Melb.
- Firmin & Sons Ld (16 mm)

Guzzman 24-08-18 10:34 PM

I'm sorry that I haven't had an opportunity to get back to you before now but I've been busy. I've found my lined/rope rim buttons with King's Crowns and foul anchors but upon examination they don't have a makers name after all. Sorry - I thought they had. The front of the button looks well made but the backs appear to be of an inferior quality. They are plain and the buttons are very light.

I have studied the King's Crown on the buttons very closely. They appear to be exactly the same as on any other King's Crown button.

So do you know anything about them?

Pete

btns 26-08-18 08:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guzzman (Post 452355)
I'm sorry that I haven't had an opportunity to get back to you before now but I've been busy. I've found my lined/rope rim buttons with King's Crowns and foul anchors but upon examination they don't have a makers name after all. Sorry - I thought they had. The front of the button looks well made but the backs appear to be of an inferior quality. They are plain and the buttons are very light.

I have studied the King's Crown on the buttons very closely. They appear to be exactly the same as on any other King's Crown button.

So do you know anything about them?

Pete

Here are samples of my lined/roped rim KC anchor design buttons.
Like your buttons they are not naval quality.
Most are tinplated steel backs, but I do have a few with brass backs and thin brass shanks.
I think they are all fashion buttons from the first half of the 20th century.