British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   A/A WRAC Badge Slider Question (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78050)

Home Guard 01-04-20 03:49 AM

A/A WRAC Badge Slider Question

I am wanting to confirm that an A/A WRAC cap badge is legit if the slider has - JR GAUNT B"HAM or JR GAUNT LONDON on the slider? I have been reading through many of the posts under the A/A thread and find most of the A/A badges shown seem to have the maker on the slider. But I am concerned due to finding out my WW2 East Surrey is bogus because it has that on the slider, as well as the tower reaching into the plinth.

I have picked up a nice looking A/A WRAC cap badge in a small grouping of items and it has JR GAUNT B'HAM on the gold colored slider. The other bits are some WRAC cloth insignia. It's in the mail so cannot share a picture yet. But the wreath is gold and the lioness is silver.

Thanks,

Terry

engr9266 01-04-20 05:26 AM

WRAC A/A BADGE

6 Attachment(s)
Terry, I have the attached 6 WRAC a/a badges in my collection with the Gaunt mark and as far as I know they are all OK. I also have several other maker's of WRAC badges.

Jerry

grey_green_acorn 01-04-20 08:10 AM

Both GAUNT marks on anodised WRAC QC cap badges are correct. LONDON from 1950s to 1960s followed by B'HAM from 1970s onwards. There are other makers marks as shown by Jerry.

I may be wrong but I do not think the GAUNT mark appears on 'fake' anodised badges as most seem to have unmarked sliders. More difficult to tell with unmarked lugged badges.

However, most anodised slidered cap badges manufactured on MOD contract since 2012 now have unmarked sliders and anonymous packaging!

But 'never say never' in badge collecting!

Tim

dubaiguy 01-04-20 08:38 AM

Terry
Reading your post you may be mixing up the advice on makers marks for metal badges with the advice on makers marks for anodised aluminium (or aluminum) a/a badges. The advice on what slider markings to avoid on metal badges purporting to be from the period surrounding the two world wars and that on later a/a badges is not necessarily the same.
Mark

Home Guard 01-04-20 02:47 PM

Thank you all gentlemen!!!! Yes, it was some discussion I found on war time badges that got me to ask this question.

Loved seeing the six pictures as that is very helpful - thank you for that!

Not sure when I'll get he little grouping with the virus issue, but certinaly have something to look forward to.

Thank you all again - it is this kind of help that makes this such an awesome forum!!!!

Terry

Home Guard 30-05-20 03:11 AM

To follow back on this thread. I saw Shiny's post re RMP badges and he various makers, which as shown by Jerry are:

DOWLER BIRMINGHAM
FIRMIN. LONDON
FIRMIN
JR GAUNT B'HAM
JR GAUNT B'HAM & LONDON (on same badge)
JR GAUNT LONDON
LONDON BADGE & BUTTON CO LTD
SMITH & WRIGHT LTD
TKS
TOYE, KENNING & SPENCER
TOYE, KENNING & SPENCER LTD

The onies in red I have.

Have to ask, are WRAC A/A cap badges made by all of these makers. Their was one list for the WRAC in a different post and I have finally obtained all of those makers, but am now wanting to know if I need to add some of these as well?

Thanks,

Terry

engr9266 30-05-20 06:53 AM

WRAC badge makers

Terry, here is my ' short ' list of WRAC A/A badge makers:-

DOWLER. BIRMINGHAM
Wm DOWLER(B'HAM)
FIRMIN. LONDON
JR GAUNT LONDON
JR GAUNT B'HAM (6 variations)
LONDON BADGE & BUTTON Co Ltd
MARPLES & BEASLEY BIRMINGHAM
No maker
With blades
With clutch pins
The variations are due to backs of badges, colours etc
Hope this helps.

Jerry

leigh kitchen 30-05-20 07:01 AM

Is the bladed aa badge a Danbury Mint one?

engr9266 30-05-20 07:53 AM

Yes, Danbury/Birmingham mint. I believe that all bladed A/A badges are from them. They had a big promotion way back where you could collect all the current (at the time) British Army badges.
grey_green_acorn had a thread on these back in 2011. Maybe search for this. I still cannot add a link to attach this.
Jerry

leigh kitchen 30-05-20 08:01 AM

Ok, so the bladed badge is not a "real" cap badge in terms of compiling a list of WRAC aa badges, is the clutch pin version also part of a set produced for collectors rather than a cap badge proper?

engr9266 30-05-20 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 511145)
Ok, so the bladed badge is not a "real" cap badge in terms of compiling a list of WRAC aa badges, is the clutch pin version also part of a set produced for collectors rather than a cap badge proper?

Leigh,
It is quite possible that bladed badges may have been worn in service, it would be hard to prove either way.
As for clutch pin badges, the pins started to appear with FAD uniforms on collar badges & shoulder titles so these type of badge may or may not have been worn, again hard to prove either way.

I have added the various A/A badges in both forms as I regard them as A/A variations and I am quite happy to included them in my collection.
Jerry .

mike_vee 30-05-20 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 511144)
grey_green_acorn had a thread on these back in 2011. Maybe search for this. I still cannot add a link to attach this.
Jerry

Here is the thread :

The Danbury Mint - Anodised badges with blades and clutch pin fittings

leigh kitchen 30-05-20 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 511147)
Leigh,
It is quite possible that bladed badges may have been worn in service, it would be hard to prove either way.
As for clutch pin badges, the pins started to appear with FAD uniforms on collar badges & shoulder titles so these type of badge may or may not have been worn, again hard to prove either way.

I have added the various A/A badges in both forms as I regard them as A/A variations and I am quite happy to included them in my collection.
Jerry .

I have a couple of Danbury's, bought a RRF one a few days ago to "complete" this set of the four old component regiments (Birmingham Mint) and the one they formed but purely as decorative items.

I'm not inclined to include Danbury's in my collection but I agree that there's always the possibility that individuals wore Danbury's, Aziz etc so it's a case of covering the angles.

Home Guard 30-05-20 03:08 PM

This is more great information and I thank everyone. Jerry, you had shared that list in a previous note of mine and i have used it as my guide, so really appreciated.

I also agree with you, that I like to add badges that are not intended for scamming collectors, so I do need to find a balded one.

Gentlemen, my very sincere thanks for all of your help!!!

Terry