British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BY DAND (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79379)

jfenzy1 23-06-20 02:58 PM

BY DAND

4 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
Two versions of the old Gordon Highlanders with the seperated BY DAND. I have the opinion that the first badge on the left is ok, (comments welcome) but what about the 2nd badge ? All opinions welcome.

Frank Kelley 23-06-20 07:04 PM

I have to say, just from the photographs, that I'm not very keen on either, where did they come from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfenzy1 (Post 513798)
Hi all,
Two versions of the old Gordon Highlanders with the seperated BY DAND. I have the opinion that the first badge on the left is ok, (comments welcome) but what about the 2nd badge ? All opinions welcome.

jfenzy1 23-06-20 09:24 PM

Bought at auction Frank.

Alex Rice 24-06-20 09:09 AM

I don't know but I have often seen the green verdigris on the second badge caused by sweat from a badge that has been well worn. Maybe it is good.
Cheers,
Alex

gary1666 24-06-20 10:26 AM

Imo the verdis gris is too bright, its more often than not deeper in green if its got age. Many of the dubious badges around at the moment have the bright green, personally I avoid them, but thats just me. I also dont like the 'pooled' look of the green in the recesses

jfenzy1 24-06-20 12:18 PM

Hi, In the album Victorian period Infantry cap badges here on the forum, is that not the very same badge as the first one ? or am I mistaken ?

gb64 24-06-20 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfenzy1 (Post 513879)
Hi, In the album Victorian period Infantry cap badges here on the forum, is that not the very same badge as the first one ? or am I mistaken ?

Just had a look at Alan’s album your refer to but I can’t see a Gordon Highlanders cap badge in the album ??:confused

Gerard

mike_vee 24-06-20 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gb64 (Post 513881)
Just had a look at Alan’s album your refer to but I can’t see a Gordon Highlanders cap badge in the album ??:confused

Gerard

Page 3 with tartan backing (picture # 83)

gb64 24-06-20 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 513883)
Page 3 with tartan backing (picture # 83)

Thank Mike, I can see it now,plain as day really, must put the old glasses on in future :o:o

Jfenzy1, doesn’t look the same strike to me , the first one you show and Alan’s album one ??

Gerard

jfenzy1 24-06-20 02:57 PM

Gerard,
Send me them glasses cos I can not see any difference between them, but then again I am not as sharp eyed as I used to be. Can you point out the the differences for me please.

cbuehler 24-06-20 03:03 PM

I don't know. The first one looks OK, but for the missing voids on the stems at the base. The lugs are old and not typical of restrikes.

CB

gb64 24-06-20 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfenzy1 (Post 513889)
Gerard,
Send me them glasses cos I can not see any difference between them, but then again I am not as sharp eyed as I used to be. Can you point out the the differences for me please.

Hi JF1
Just so I know as I might be getting wrong end of stick, are you saying that the badge you show the first badge is the very same one as in Alan’s album so infect you’ve both owned the very same badge or that they are both Gordon Highlanders badges showing similar characteristics??:confused:

Gerard

Phil2M 24-06-20 04:55 PM

One huge difference is the texture (seeding) on the bottom leaves of Alan's badge versus the horizontal lines used on the OP badge.

Phil2M 24-06-20 04:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics...

Frank Kelley 24-06-20 06:56 PM

Okay, well lots provincial salerooms here, as well as many others around the world, but, bought as seen, or bought as original after being described as such?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfenzy1 (Post 513827)
Bought at auction Frank.