British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schools, OTC and Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Bristol University UOTC badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59576)

Alan O 26-01-17 09:02 AM

Bristol University UOTC badges

3 Attachment(s)
I have for a while wondered about Bristol UOTC's a/a badges and why the cadets are often seen with cloth ones which is a practice unique to Bristol OTC and no others to my knowledge.

The UOTC cadets wear 2 badges - the gold a/a is initially issued to the 1st years and a cloth version in their second year when they complete module bravo (formerly MTQ).

Both are shown and the bag for Hagwalther as I know he likes those.

Beckford 26-01-17 11:39 AM

Only the a/a version was worn when I was in BUOTC in 1977/78. We also wore white tapes on epaulettes with black 'OTC'. Also a maroon stable belt with white metal clasp. The RAC troop also sported maroon cravats.
Clive

engr9266 26-01-17 12:07 PM

I believe that Sheffield University Officers' Training Corps wear bullion badges as well.

Alan O 26-01-17 01:21 PM

The cap badge endures but only as a contingent as Sheffield UOTC does not exist as a separate unit anymore. It merged with Leeds UOTC to form Yorkshire UOTC in 2011.

Leeds also seem to have adopted an embroidered badge for some of their cadets although the a/a remains in use as well.

Alan O 26-01-17 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckford (Post 391765)
Only the a/a version was worn when I was in BUOTC in 1977/78. We also wore white tapes on epaulettes with black 'OTC'. Also a maroon stable belt with white metal clasp. The RAC troop also sported maroon cravats.
Clive

Clive

Thanks. I know that the cloth badge was in use as early as 1989.

Peter Brydon 26-01-17 01:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Liverpool University OTC also have an embroidered beret badge ( illustrated ) but I cannot at the moment remember which cadets are entitled to wear it.

P.B.

Alan O 26-01-17 02:13 PM

With the increased drive to make OTCs show there worth their was a drive to focus more on TA commissioning. This saw an increase in TA 2Lts in the OTC and embroidered badges were made for them.
Not sure if this is the case with your Liverpool cadets.

41st 26-01-17 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
University OTC Cardiff & U of W OTC.

Peter Brydon 27-01-17 10:13 AM

LUOTC embroidered badge

Just had a reply from my contact at LUOTC ( a former Cadet, now an officer with the Corps ). This is what he says-

"Well, I wore one!

Officers commissioned into LUOTC, so only 2nd Lts, & the SUO. I'm not sure about the Non Commissioned Platoon Commanders though "

The reply raises a few questions ( are the badges still being worn ?) which I will try and get the answers to.

( Just had confirmation that the badge is still worn )

P.B.

badjez 27-01-17 11:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckford (Post 391765)
Clive

Would this be the white tape you refer to? It is a slip-on that has remained unidentified by me for some time. I've also got the one in the second photo- could that be another UOTC or just a cut down title from elsewhere?

Stephen.

Beckford 27-01-17 05:31 PM

Stephen - yes, that's the style.
Clive