British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   British WWII medal naming/engraving? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90625)

rcaf*100 17-08-22 01:03 AM

British WWII medal naming/engraving?

Hello all,

Just a general question regarding naming of British WWII campaign stars and whether this was common practice or not. I have seen many examples of First World War medals that were stamped with the recipient's name but not so for Second World War; is that because the practice was dropped or because it only applies to certain types of medals? (i.e. if WWII campaign stars were in fact stamped in this manner were the Defence Medal & War Medal 1939-45 typically stamped on the edge as well?)

Asking in order to gather info on obtaining replacement medals for an RAF casualty.

Thanks,

rcaf*100

Milmed 17-08-22 05:56 AM

Not all countries named there WWII medals.

As far as I am aware UK did not name WWII Medals

South Africa named all WWII medals with force number, Initials and Surname

Alex Rice 17-08-22 06:51 AM

Yes, Milmed is correct, UK WWII campaign medals were not named. Boots chemists did offer a naming service where people could bring their medals in and have them engraved/impressed with their details, but that was a personal option. I have seen photos of the naming of some of these but have never actually seen any myself.
Cheers,
Alex

54Bty 17-08-22 07:47 AM

Named by Boots. Not mine.

Marc

gary1666 17-08-22 08:55 AM

https://britishmedalforum.com/viewto...122722#p932311
There is a thread on the British Medal Forum with examples of Boots naming, very informative

dumdum 17-08-22 11:13 AM

Just a quick comment. I was always told that the only countries that officially named their WW2 medals were: Australia, Canada and South Africa.

I've also seen Indian issues "named" but they look as if they were done by a local workshop, using those number and letter sets that we played with in metalwork class! In other words, they are often very uneven and irregular.

I have seen a nicely engraved set of NZ medals but these would have been privately done.

dumdum 17-08-22 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 585535)

Marc

Interesting photos. Not seen this style before.

Alex Rice 18-08-22 06:34 AM

I thought Canadian medals weren't named? I thought only SA & Aussie medals were named. Indian medals were named but I believe it was done by hand rather than in a jig but I don't know if all the medals were named.

Frank Kelley 18-08-22 08:05 AM

As already stated, British campaign stars as well as the War and Defence medals were not issued named, if buying original examples of these for an RAF casualty that was entitled to the Aircrew Europe Star, be very careful as they have been copied for many years with original examples now being quite expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcaf*100 (Post 585521)
Hello all,

Just a general question regarding naming of British WWII campaign stars and whether this was common practice or not. I have seen many examples of First World War medals that were stamped with the recipient's name but not so for Second World War; is that because the practice was dropped or because it only applies to certain types of medals? (i.e. if WWII campaign stars were in fact stamped in this manner were the Defence Medal & War Medal 1939-45 typically stamped on the edge as well?)

Asking in order to gather info on obtaining replacement medals for an RAF casualty.

Thanks,

rcaf*100

dumdum 18-08-22 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 585569)
I thought Canadian medals weren't named? I thought only SA & Aussie medals were named. Indian medals were named but I believe it was done by hand rather than in a jig but I don't know if all the medals were named.

OK, scrub the reference to the Canadian medals...
;)

rcaf*100 20-08-22 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 585544)
Just a quick comment. I was always told that the only countries that officially named their WW2 medals were: Australia, Canada and South Africa.

I've also seen Indian issues "named" but they look as if they were done by a local workshop, using those number and letter sets that we played with in metalwork class! In other words, they are often very uneven and irregular.

I have seen a nicely engraved set of NZ medals but these would have been privately done.

Interesting, not sure where that info would have originated from... I have looked long and hard for any named examples in Canada and never come across any. In fact, I was told the UK, AUS & SA would name medals and Canada didn't adopt the practice. Thanks for your input.

rcaf*100 20-08-22 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 585535)

Marc

Very nice Marc, thanks for sharing!

mjw 20-08-22 03:36 PM

WW11 campaign stars and medals were officially named by the Rhodesian Government for issue to the relatives of airforce personnel unfortunately killed on active service.

Kind regards, Malcolm.

rcaf*100 20-08-22 06:35 PM

Thank you all for the valuable input. It seems engraving/stamping was purely voluntary among the UK-based recipients of Campaign Stars & other Second World War medals, and their families. Not the case here in Canada... I think it's a wonderful was to commemorate veterans' service.

dumdum 21-08-22 11:24 AM

I can probably get hold of the NZ set to photograph if you want.

Nicely done and the sort of thing that any competent local jeweller could have done for you at one time but you would be hard-pressed to get this task carried out for you these days.

Hand engraving has gone the way of oil lamps and hoop skirts....