British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introduction Zone (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   New Member from Ontario , Canada (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80211)

Middlesex1957 07-08-20 11:11 PM

New Member from Ontario , Canada

Hello . We're relatively new to collecting CEF Badges of Ontario battalions, and not very knowledgeable on detecting fakes or re-strikes .
To avoid being stung would the members here be able to lend a hand with some info on this topic ?
In the past we have heard the term , " Bondys Badges " used and not being familiar with that subject maybe someone could help us out .
Looking forward to gaining some valuable insight from the members .
Thanks .
Robert.

Bill A 07-08-20 11:34 PM

Hello Robert, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts. There are several members who are knowledgeable about CEF badges.

Middlesex1957 12-08-20 02:05 AM

Threads located in forum for sought after info

Hi Bill. Thanks for reply and the welcome.
We located threads , " Repros for CDN Badge Registry " and " The Bondy List of Repros " here on the forum and had a look through those .
Also paid a visit to a friend of ours and long time collector in Brantford recently and had lots of questions to ask about re-strikes and copies .
Lots to learn .

GregN 13-08-20 03:38 PM

Welcome Robert!

gb64 13-08-20 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Middlesex1957 (Post 518731)
Hello . We're relatively new to collecting CEF Badges of Ontario battalions, and not very knowledgeable on detecting fakes or re-strikes .
To avoid being stung would the members here be able to lend a hand with some info on this topic ?
In the past we have heard the term , " Bondys Badges " used and not being familiar with that subject maybe someone could help us out .
Looking forward to gaining some valuable insight from the members .
Thanks .
Robert.

Hi Robert and welcome to the forum, what part of Ontario are you from ? I know it’s a very big place !! Both my brother and sister and family’s live in Ontario so just wondering, could be neighbours!! Also what’s your Middlesex link ??

Gerard

Middlesex1957 15-08-20 06:58 PM

Thanks for the welcome Greg . All indications are we have an abundance of
well-informed members here on the forum.
Gerard , we live in southwest Ontario , near London .
We reside in Middlesex County , that being our main area of interest for collecting militaria .
If any members are curious to view a large militaria collection coming up for auction go to Shackletons Auctions , Springfield . They have an active on-line auction currently underway , not many badges but plenty of other items . Must have been collecting for along time this individual .
A couple of lots have some badge books .

Darrell 04-09-20 06:01 PM

Hi Robert

Greetings and welcome to the Forum. Lots and lots of great members and material here. I found it a most welcoming Forum when I first joined and I hope you do too.:)

Side-note; I lived in St Thomas 1996-2001 and worked in London for four of those years. I am not "from" there but it was a very nice part of the Country....except for the humidity. :eek:

Best of luck in your collecting.

kind regards
Darrell

Middlesex1957 07-09-20 05:35 PM

Hi Darrell. Thanks for the welcome.
We drive down to St. Thomas once in a while to check an antique
store . The owners grandfather was 91st Bn , WW1 , he has a few items
on display , medals , photos etc. Very nice Welcome Home banner .
It's one of those antique shops you never know what militaria is going to come in the front door . Items come in and they're sold soon after .
We had lots of humidity this summer .
Cheers .
Robert.

terrystjohn 03-10-20 07:39 PM

Me also. New and looking out for fakes and restrikes