British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Silver Lion Rampant (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84914)

Tinto 15-05-21 09:06 PM

Silver Lion Rampant

1 Attachment(s)
Hello All,
Does anyone know this badge, 4cmX3cm, in silver?
Possibly a school cadets badge.
Thanks, John

Tinto 18-05-21 08:28 AM

Hello again,
Any ideas on this one?
John

Lampwick 18-05-21 02:03 PM

It looks Belgian to me.

Tinto 18-05-21 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Terry,
I did think of that possibility but there is a SILVER mark on the back.
Regards,
John

dumdum 18-05-21 11:11 PM

Hi John and Terry

This looks to be a school badge and more than likely one of several Auckland schools that used this lion rampant.

Options I give you are: Auckland Grammar; Mt Albert Grammar; Takapuna Grammar or Epsom Girls' Grammar. Could be cadets but just as likely to be a cap/ hat badge for the school uniform. A Prefect's badge is also an option but they are usually pin-backed.

The incuse "SILVER" mark is also a bit of a give away as this mark if often found on locally made items.

Hope this helps.

Tinto 19-05-21 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Dumdum,
Good reasoning in your suggestions, thanks. I wondered about Auckland Grammar as I have a badge, also lugged, which I think may have been a prefect badge.
Cheers,
John

dumdum 19-05-21 06:29 AM

Hi John

I think that your enamel one is Epsom Girls' as I have my dear Mum's old badge. Possibly marked "E.S.A" to the reverse?

The AGS Prefect badge is silver, pin-backed and has the lion and fernleaves, etc.

I do have an AGS School Cadets badge put away somewhere and can post a photo if you would like me to.

dumdum 19-05-21 06:33 AM

Hi John

Just went to post a reply and forgot to do the next step after "preview"!

That enamel badge is probably Epsom Girls' as I have my dear Mum's old badge and it is identical.

The AGS Prefect badge is pin-backed and has the rampant lion and fernleaves. It may have been pierced but it's been years since I last saw one!

I do have an AGS Cadets badge put away somewhere and can post a photo if you'd like me to.

Tinto 19-05-21 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 550081)
Hi John

I think that your enamel one is Epsom Girls' as I have my dear Mum's old badge. Possibly marked "E.S.A" to the reverse?

The AGS Prefect badge is silver, pin-backed and has the lion and fernleaves, etc.

I do have an AGS School Cadets badge put away somewhere and can post a photo if you would like me to.

Thanks for your information, have checked the back of my enamel badge shown above and it has S.S.A./LONDON stamped there.
I have Oldham's catalogue so no need to show your AGS Cadets badge, thanks.
Cheers, John

dumdum 20-05-21 12:53 AM

Hi John

No problem. Mine is a curious reject showing evidence of being slightly over struck but it was given to me so....

S.S.A.? I've seen E.S.A. and legend has it that this was a group of school teachers who set up a company to produce everything from badges to blackboards and then to supply schools with this.

AH HA! S.S.A. could be School Supplies Association. I've not Googled this and a lot of what I recall these days is sometimes half-remembered from reading strange snippets here and there.

Anybody can confirm or deny this story of the purveyors of stuff for schools?

Tinto 20-05-21 01:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Further to your comments, here are more scans of my badge for your interest.
Cheers, John

dumdum 24-05-21 10:27 AM

Hi John

Yes, that's the same as my Mum's badge and I think that it is "E.S.A." but hers is "Walker & Hall".

dumdum 24-05-21 10:28 AM

Oh and the lion has been made separately and pinned on.