British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Scout army badge question (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75412)

cbuehler 30-09-19 10:47 PM

Scout army badge question

Was the brass Scout arm badge worn on full dress tunics prior to ww1, or was there an embroidered version for this?
Thanks,

CB

manchesters 01-10-19 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There was Large and small of both versions and in GM or WM for the large ones.

There was khaki embroidered for SD, certainly in large, BUT, never seen a bullion version.

Thats not to say they dont exist .

regards

cbuehler 01-10-19 02:58 PM

Thanks, but were they even worn at all on full dress tunics? Some of the Simkin etc. plates show them in wear I seem to recall. I can only assume that if they were indeed worn, they were the metal versions; rather unusual as metal sleeve insignia was not normally worn.

CB

mac mcconnell 03-10-19 06:32 AM

full dress

Pictures of 21st Lancers in full dress with the large metal scouts badge in Linaker and Dine Book on Arm badges page 18

leigh kitchen 03-10-19 06:55 AM

"Edwards & Langley" notes that the badges were worn in brass by Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line on tunics, serge frocks and undress jackets, by infantry on tunics or full dress frocks, service dress, khaki drill and by Highland battalion including HLI on white jackets.

The larger size usually worn on the tunic, the smaller usually in service dress.

They were issued in worsted

"To the best of our knowledge they were never made in gold wire - nor was there a need."

Frank Kelley 03-10-19 03:24 PM

Yes, they were worn on Home Service Full Dress, prior to it's withdrawal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 489016)
Was the brass Scout arm badge worn on full dress tunics prior to ww1, or was there an embroidered version for this?
Thanks,

CB

grumpy 04-10-19 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 489168)
Yes, they were worn on Home Service Full Dress, prior to it's withdrawal.

Yes, with a black felt backing with a separate catalogue number. However, I have seen one on tunic with a white or buff facing background ..... definitely naughty but nice.

grumpy 04-10-19 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 489148)
"Edwards & Langley" notes that the badges were worn in brass by Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line on tunics, serge frocks and undress jackets, by infantry on tunics or full dress frocks, service dress, khaki drill and by Highland battalion including HLI on white jackets.

The larger size usually worn on the tunic, the smaller usually in service dress.

They were issued in worsted

"To the best of our knowledge they were never made in gold wire - nor was there a need."

The size was a matter of timing: the large sizes were withdrawn from issue a few years before the Great War. The worsted varieties, nice though they are, were never Ordnance issue, but private purchase from enterprising tailors.

Frank Kelley 07-10-19 12:22 PM

I particularly like your white metal examples, Simon, they only seldom turn up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 489024)
There was Large and small of both versions and in GM or WM for the large ones.

There was khaki embroidered for SD, certainly in large, BUT, never seen a bullion version.

Thats not to say they dont exist .

regards

manchesters 07-10-19 12:42 PM

Thanks Frank,

Still looking for WM versions of the small ones. Dont even know if they exist?

regards

Frank Kelley 07-10-19 03:53 PM

Hello Simon, I certainly have not encountered any, one wonders if they were made and worn, I would like to think that they were.

grumpy 07-10-19 05:52 PM

I suspect that white metal was only VF/TF and that they were not RACD approved.
The VF/TF County Associations were semi-autonomous and quite capable of funding the "correct" metal, in line with all the other restrictions on using the gold colour of the regulars.