British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   EIIR cap badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89624)

Alan O 18-05-22 07:06 AM

EIIR cap badge

1 Attachment(s)
An interesting photo showing the EIIR cypher is use by the Queen's driver. Often attributed to the Norfolk Yeomanry of course.

Toby Purcell 18-05-22 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 579347)
An interesting photo showing the EIIR cypher is use by the Queen's driver. Often attributed to the Norfolk Yeomanry of course.

Yes it (the Royal Cypher) has long been the headdress and/or collar badge of ‘crown servants’ and frequently used as a catch all for more generic type duties over the centuries. The prison services used it for a long time, as well as War Office messengers and security, plus also ‘garrison staff’ roles in the army including over various periods staff clerks (including pay before the pay corps was established), garrison sergeant majors, barracks wardens and even the school of musketry for a while.

Mike_2817 18-05-22 10:56 AM

And of course on 'Aide-de-Camp' Rank Insignia

Toby Purcell 18-05-22 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 579366)
And of course on 'Aide-de-Camp' Rank Insignia

Yes and in essence signifying the same broad purpose - in the service of the crown.

kingsley 18-05-22 11:03 PM

A while ago I found a large bullion QC badge (similar size to a W.O. sleeve badge) attached to a hat band. I wondered what it was and finally someone showed me a picture of an Australian Commonwealth car driver wearing it during the 1954 royal visit to Australia.

yorkstone 19-05-22 09:49 PM

Toby
Which Prison Service used this badge? Not in the Uk that I am aware of
Regards
Stephen

Phil2M 20-05-22 12:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is likely the badge.

Mike H 20-05-22 05:50 AM

Royal Parks Police is another Dept that wore it.

Toby Purcell 20-05-22 07:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkstone (Post 579542)
Toby
Which Prison Service used this badge? Not in the Uk that I am aware of
Regards
Stephen

The Military Prisons (later Provost) Staff Corps. These were regional prisons throughout Britain, Ireland and overseas. The previous Military Prisons Warders, established in 1844, wore a plain crown.

altcar73 20-05-22 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 579555)
Royal Parks Police is another Dept that wore it.

The predecessors of the Royal Parks Constabulary, the Royal Park Keepers, wore it as a cap badge. The Royal Parks Constabulary had a custom made cap badge but wore the Crown and cipher as collar/epaulette badges.

Dave.

Toby Purcell 07-06-22 09:42 AM

It was also the insignia for Army Recruiting Staff, and the final cap badge of the Royal Defence Corps** during WW1.

**formed from the National Reserve (originally Veterans Reserve) that was established from retired soldiers and marines of the regular AND auxiliary services in the years immediately prewar.

Holyboy 04-07-22 07:09 AM

ERII Norfolk Yeomanry

2 Attachment(s)
There is not much photographic evidence of the Norfolk Yeomanry wearing the ERII cypher and it’s been debated loads in Norfolk collecting circles. If they did wear it it was only 52-61 as in 62 they were amalgamated with the LSH 358th (Suffolk Yeomanry) Field Rgt, RA becoming 308th (Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry) Field Regiment, RA. The cypher turns up on sliders with lugs in gilt etc I suspect some of the lugged examples are ADC.

I’ve attached some images one provided by a forum member I’m sorry I can’t remember who the other is 100% NY but it’s hard to be sure on the badge.

Be good of anybody can shed more definitive light on it.

leigh kitchen 10-09-22 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altcar73 (Post 579570)
The predecessors of the Royal Parks Constabulary, the Royal Park Keepers, wore it as a cap badge. The Royal Parks Constabulary had a custom made cap badge but wore the Crown and cipher as collar/epaulette badges.

Dave.

Another police "EIIR" insignia was worn on the shoulder strap by members of the UK Police serving with the UNIPTF in BiH, late 90's - early naughties.

As EIIR devices proper were not available, Met Police shoulder strap chromed metal "E" and "R" letters were issued to be worn.

CAM 11-09-22 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holyboy (Post 582829)
There is not much photographic evidence of the Norfolk Yeomanry wearing the ERII cypher and it’s been debated loads in Norfolk collecting circles. If they did wear it it was only 52-61 as in 62 they were amalgamated with the LSH 358th (Suffolk Yeomanry) Field Rgt, RA becoming 308th (Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry) Field Regiment, RA. The cypher turns up on sliders with lugs in gilt etc I suspect some of the lugged examples are ADC.

I’ve attached some images one provided by a forum member I’m sorry I can’t remember who the other is 100% NY but it’s hard to be sure on the badge.

Be good of anybody can shed more definitive light on it.

I have just read this post.

Around 1985-6 I was sent a brass EIIR badge by the NRPS (Non-Regular Permanent Staff) Admin Officer of (I believe) Norfolk and Suffolk Battery RA that had been sitting in his desk draw. It is somewhere but I cannot find it.

Chris

Postwarden 12-09-22 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The attached image which shows clearly the EIIR cap badge comes from a larger group photo of officers and ORs which if I can find I will post.

Jon