British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Combined Ops (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92673)

Frank Kelley 26-02-23 12:49 PM

Combined Ops

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone got any thoughts on the attached please?

Mike B 26-02-23 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 597459)
Anyone got any thoughts on the attached please?

Looks nice - lots of variety in these - my understanding is: officially frowned upon by some, but available privately, and adorned many uniforms.

Frank Kelley 26-02-23 02:14 PM

Hello Mike,
Please forgive my ignorance, but, which uniforms, RN or RM perhaps something else, I have no doubt that it is a period badge, it appears to have been worn on something and is badly mothed.
Regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 597468)
Looks nice - lots of variety in these - my understanding is: officially frowned upon by some, but available privately, and adorned many uniforms.

Mike B 26-02-23 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 597469)
Hello Mike,
Please forgive my ignorance, but, which uniforms, RN or RM perhaps something else, I have no doubt that it is a period badge, it appears to have been worn on something and is badly mothed.
Regards Frank

Frank
Most commonly associated with Royal Navy when in gold bullion braid
Mike

Frank Kelley 26-02-23 04:10 PM

Okay, thanks Mike,
So nothing to do with the Royal Marines then?
Regard again, Frank

Home Guard 26-02-23 04:17 PM

Not my area of collecting, but the age shows on it and I think it is a lovely piece. And even better if there are signs of having been worn!

Terry

Paul Spellman 26-02-23 06:50 PM

Not sure how accurate this site is
www.combinedops.com
Paul

Mike B 26-02-23 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 597488)
Not sure how accurate this site is
www.combinedops.com
Paul

Pretty sound Paul - hoping you are keeping well

Paul Spellman 26-02-23 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 597489)
Pretty sound Paul - hoping you are keeping well

All good Mike Thank You, I hope all is well with you
Long trip to Yate today
Paul

Mike B 26-02-23 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 597478)
Okay, thanks Mike,
So nothing to do with the Royal Marines then?
Regard again, Frank

Not Royal Marine Commandos almost certainly, as for landing craft etc - I doubt but do not know for sure. Much more likely Royal Navy, private acquisition. Examples sold by tailors were considered desirable for best dress etc.

Frank Kelley 28-02-23 06:49 AM

Thanks again Mike, yes, I can understand that, they do look quite handsome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 597491)
Not Royal Marine Commandos almost certainly, as for landing craft etc - I doubt but do not know for sure. Much more likely Royal Navy, private acquisition. Examples sold by tailors were considered desirable for best dress etc.

Richard_K 01-03-23 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 597491)

In the latest Chute and Dagger C&D189 there’s are colour photo of a battle dress of No 9 Commando with yellow on black Combined Ops badge, with this text: “ 189 / 110 Great Britain – No.9 Commando battledress showing white-on-black shoulder titles and non-standard Combined Operations patches, c1944.

Indeed quit unusual for WW2 Army & RM Commandos.

I’m not sure if I ‘m allowed to place the picture, but Colin S might know.

Richard

Mike B 01-03-23 01:13 PM

Sounds intriguing Richard - and a little unofficial even by Commando Standards - always open minded though as I have some bizzare examples, particularly theatre made
Thanks for enlightening me.
Mike

Richard_K 01-03-23 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 597707)
Sounds intriguing Richard - and a little unofficial even by Commando Standards - always open minded though as I have some bizzare examples, particularly theatre made
Thanks for enlightening me.
Mike

Hi Mike,

The same BD is shown on this site https://jandersoncollection.yolasite...ied-powers.php. Probably an individual 9 Cdo Best BD.

The non-standard combinations are always nice to study. I have even seen a an early serif type No. 10 Commando title worn at the end of WW2, I think by a member of No. 3 Troop.

Richard

Mike B 01-03-23 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_K (Post 597720)
Hi Mike,

The same BD is shown on this site https://jandersoncollection.yolasite...ied-powers.php. Probably an individual 9 Cdo Best BD.

The non-standard combinations are always nice to study. I have even seen a an early serif type No. 10 Commando title worn at the end of WW2, I think by a member of No. 3 Troop.

Richard

Hello Richard - I am fortunate to have a BD with serif titles from 4 Tp (Belgian).
I would not not want to add the battledress on that website to my collection - I do not know the owner, no offence intended - but not for me, the variant C Ops is a very unlikely match with that title and unit. Quick image of my No.10 Cdo 4 Tp BD with serif titles - late war best BD
WITH APOLOGIES FOR WANDERING WAY OFF THREAD