British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Roll of Honour (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23574)

cga00 17-03-12 04:20 PM

Roll of Honour

1 Attachment(s)
I rescued this from a house clearance place recently. It seems to be hand drawn and is in poor condition but I thought it was probably worth preserving.
I looked on the CWGC site for those listed as killed, and there appears to be only one Lt G Hanley - Canadian Infantry, I also found a Maj Green of the Canadian Infantry. They are in different cemeteries but not very far apart.

Any ideas as to why this has turned up in the UK? It seems to me to be the sort of thing you would have had on the wall of a social club or factory.

Craig

Attachment 60366

Sunray9 17-03-12 04:53 PM

Or possibly a former Military Hospital ?

Sonofacqms 17-03-12 05:51 PM

Roll of Honour

I have an illustrated roll of honour of men from the surrounding villages for WWI, with the exception of one man who's home is given as a town some twenty five miles away. The one thing these men had in common was that they were all members of the Oddfellows Lodge.

Could it be possible that these men were all in a lodge either Masonic or similar?

Rob

soldier1 17-03-12 06:20 PM

Roll of Honour

We received something very similar at the museum a while ago Craig. Hand made and painted. It was sent to us from a small town in Quebec where it was found, I believe, in an old RCL building. It looks very old.
A couple of interesting points with yours;
only 36 names and two sets of brothers, Mann and Pope.
also mainly soldiers with very few officers.

Could they have been in the same unit and/or from the same town?

Any town/unit/dates somewhere front or back that might give us a clue?

Just wondering.

Cheers Al

fougasse1940 17-03-12 09:16 PM

Unusual to list the officers last.

Rgds,

Thomas.

cga00 18-03-12 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunray9 (Post 159748)
Or possibly a former Military Hospital ?

Sunray - I don't think it's from a hospital - why list 'Killed' along with the others. It's something that hadn't crossed my mind though.

Rob - I would have expected some sort of masonic symbolism if that were the case and there seems to be nothing like that on it.

Al - I've had a close look at it again and noticed a small signature in the bottom right corner in the leaves, W. Hayward (3rd name down on the roll), but don't know if that's relavent. The back is blank and there are no mentions of units or towns - but that would be my guess as a connection.

Do you think anyone in Canada would be interested in this?

cga00 18-03-12 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fougasse1940 (Post 159796)
Unusual to list the officers last.

Rgds,

Thomas.

Yes - I also thought this unusual.

ebro 18-03-12 11:17 AM

Would a Commonwealth war graves search of those killed possibly narrow it to a town or unit?
Eddie

Peter J 18-03-12 11:27 AM

Gents,

Could perhaps the armorial bearings at the top provide a clue?

I cannot get a clear enough picture of the mottos or other details when enlarged; any chance of a clearer scan of the top, at all?

Regards,

Peter

soldier1 18-03-12 05:31 PM

Roll of Honour

Good point Peter. Craig; is it the word CANADA under the bottom crest?.

A Roll of Honour, to me, is list of those soldiers who were either killed or wounded. The majority of the soldiers on this roll are neither which kind of leads me to think that W Hayward may have done this in UK during a lull in operations as a remembrance piece for the guys in his platoon?

Unless we can find out more info Craig I wouldn't
know where to start to look here for a home for it.

Cheers Al

Mike Jackson 18-03-12 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter J (Post 159867)
Gents,

Could perhaps the armorial bearings at the top provide a clue?

I cannot get a clear enough picture of the mottos or other details when enlarged; any chance of a clearer scan of the top, at all?

Regards,

Peter

I can't read the title scrolls but are the arms not (L - R) Japan, Belgium, UK, France, Russa and Serbia? With Canada at the base?

Peter Brydon 18-03-12 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have something similar ( cant remember where I got it ) . It was meant to be filled in by the owner and the men listed all have a connection with Liverpool.

P.B.

Pylon1357 18-03-12 07:02 PM

I would like to take a crack at this but cannot see it well enough. PM sent

Dieppe42 19-03-12 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the one for my Great Uncle. James Laidlaw CAMC CEF, care of the National Archives of Canada.

cga00 19-03-12 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebro (Post 159863)
Would a Commonwealth war graves search of those killed possibly narrow it to a town or unit?
Eddie

Tried that Eddie - as I said in the 1st post there was only one Lt G Hanley, and it states only 'Canadian Infantry'.
Craig