British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Military Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Poppy Appeal Pins (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59241)

mike_vee 04-12-19 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal (Post 493977)
Well I've got them all from 2010 onwards but I'd feel a fraud looking for older ones as I wasn't there on the day...

As a collector I want to have as complete a set as possible , as an RBL member I ensure that a donation (either from seller or myself) is made so that the charity continues to benefit from their sale.

Charliedog012012 04-12-19 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I now have quite a few different pins purchased from RBL sellers or the Poppy shop and though not a collector of the pins in the true sense of the word I buy the latest pins as they come out. It has to be said that the RBL have been very inventive in their efforts to raise as much money as possible and have produced some stunning pins & brooches to commemorate special events or people...for example the Somme, Passchendaele, Women of the First World War, D-Day etc. Some of these are beautiful . However, when visiting Salisbury Cathedral over the Summer months I spotted the following ...I initially thought it was for the RBL but on examining it, I found the money was donated to other Charities for Soldiers...it had to be bought albeit I felt a wee bit guilty about it not being for the Royal British Legion.

mike_vee 05-12-19 10:30 AM

I'm not a "purist" , I simply collect Poppy/Remembrance pins. My preference is official RBL/Poppyshop items but I also like the ones issued by the various branches.

Another point is that previously numerous groups/companies were 'authorised' by RBL to produce pins/badges but are now banned , so the charity is missing out on a lot of donations.

I am totally against people cashing in on the RBL "brand" or making fake/imitation items but I feel it is a step too far when simply calling an item a "poppy" (no mention of RBL) is portrayed as illegal/wrong.

P.S I would have bought the one above without a second thought , a nice item benefitting charity.

mike_vee 06-12-19 01:42 PM

Centenary/Commemorative Pins

7 Attachment(s)
Picked up a joblot of 15 pins which included 3 of the Commemorative pins I have been looking for.
1. Great Pilgrimage 90
2. Royal Air Force 1918-2018
3. Battle of Amiens 1918-2018

Still got a few more to acquire before the set is complete :

1. Battle of Cambrai
2. WW1 Centenary (helmet and boots)
3. Hexagon The Falkland War 1982-2017

Plus the round Thank You 1918-2018 (no writing round edge) and RBL 1914-1918 WW1 Centenary .

mike_vee 06-12-19 01:53 PM

Another variation !

2 Attachment(s)
While sorting out my latest acquisitions I noticed that the Passchendaele 1917-2017 pin didn't fit in with the other Centenary ones , it had the poppy with leaf .
A quick Google search shows that 2 versions of the pin were sold , so I now have another one to find .

All the ones I've seen posted are the same , anyone got the other version ?

mike_vee 19-01-20 12:48 PM

Solved the puzzle of the 2 different Passchendaele pins , it appears the one without the leaf was available from Poppy Appeal (PAO) and the one with the leaf was sold by Poppy Shop.

Thanks to Mike C for all his help , now I have a couple of less pins on my wanted list. :) Getting pins from official RBL sources ensure that money goes directly to charity.

PS. Thanks to other forum members who have helped me find/acquire other Legion/Branch badges. (Have made an album of pins I am looking for)

Mike_2817 19-01-20 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 497746)
Solved the puzzle of the 2 different Passchendaele pins , it appears the one without the leaf was available from Poppy Appeal (PAO) and the one with the leaf was sold by Poppy Shop.

:o Glad to be of service re Passchendaele pin without leaf as well as the VJ Pin

;) But sorry Mike, I think its the other way round, the one with the leaf was available from Poppy Appeal (PAO) and the one without the leaf was sold by Poppy Shop. I deduce this by the fact I have 30+ with leaf in my leftover Poppy Appeal stock, and I would never buy that many from the shop.... I think I had about 300 of these pins in 2017

:D [Poppy Appeal Organisers (PAO) are supplied on a non-payment basis with all donations going into Poppy Appeal account]

I am looking for a Operation Banner 50 Pin (Poppy Shop) for my collection as despite being a Northern Ireland veteran myself I managed not to get one :mad:

:) I donate for any pin I use for my own collection I obtain from PAO stocks

mike_vee 19-01-20 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 497754)
;) But sorry Mike, I think its the other way round, the one with the leaf was available from Poppy Appeal (PAO) and the one without the leaf was sold by Poppy Shop. I deduce this by the fact I have 30+ with leaf in my leftover Poppy Appeal stock, and I would never buy that many from the shop.... I think I had about 300 of these pins in 2017

First the eyesight fades then the memory starts going ! :D

I probably got mixed up because there are lots of the leafed ones available but I only recently discovered there was the non leafed version.

Shiny 20-01-20 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 497754)
I am looking for a Operation Banner 50 Pin (Poppy Shop) for my collection as despite being a Northern Ireland veteran myself I managed not to get one :mad:

:) I donate for any pin I use for my own collection I obtain from PAO stocks

I missed out on the Op Banner one as well and am also looking for one for the same reasons. I wish our PAO's could get more variety to include ones like these.

Michael

Shiny 20-01-20 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 494140)
Picked up a joblot of 15 pins which included 3 of the Commemorative pins I have been looking for.
1. Great Pilgrimage 90
2. Royal Air Force 1918-2018
3. Battle of Amiens 1918-2018

Mike, you have some cracking one's there, where did you manage to find them?

Michael

mike_vee 20-01-20 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny (Post 497831)
Mike, you have some cracking one's there, where did you manage to find them?

Michael

Joblot on eBay ! :D Listing appeared with "make an offer" option and I got lucky.

A total of 15 badges and I paid the grand sum of ....... £11.00 + £4.00 postage.

mike_vee 30-01-20 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 476786)
Poppy Shop are taking pre-orders for D-Day 75 Poppy Pin (£29.99 + postage).

"The very heart of each enamel Poppy is made with real sand collected by hand from Arromanches, part of the Gold Beach landing area.

Each rhodium plated pin comes in a D-Day 75 box presented with a commemorative certificate dedicated to a fallen soldier from The Battle of Normandy."

These have already started to appear on eBay (starting bid £30.00 +) , can't understand why someone would buy one for D-Day anniversary then sell it so soon afterwards.

One was for sale without the outer box and certificate , I put in a 'holding' bid just to see how much it went for ........ and got it for £10.00 (free postage) .

I won't profit from it but may end up swapping for other pins.

mike_vee 07-02-20 10:56 AM

Poppy 'variation'

1 Attachment(s)
The 2011 dated Poppy pin that was available from Poppy Shop had the "11 o'clock" (high) leaf , the small and medium undated pins from Poppy Shop also have the "11 o'clock"(high) leaf.

Most of the 2012 & 2013 pins have the "10 o'clock"(low) leaf but there are 'variations' of these pins with the "11 o'clock"(high) leaf. There is a 2013 one available at the moment on eBay (£8.00 + £1.00 postage) if anyone is looking to have the complete set of official RBL issued Poppy pins.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Poppy-Pin...53.m1438.l2649

As I have found out recently , with the Passchendaele pins , different versions of some pins were available from Poppy Shop and PAO's .

N.B I have nothing to do with the eBay listing , just thought it may be of interest to other members.

Mike_2817 07-02-20 11:59 AM

Above item is Poppy Shop example (RBL Logo backing card with URL)

I have Poppy Appeal (PAO) Dated Poppy Pins from 2011 onwards available at £3.00 each - Post Paid if anyone needs them. simple bagged item - no backing cards.

I will be listing carded sets of PAO issue commemorative poppy pins in the next couple of days.

All monies less postage & packing to the Poppy Appeal.

mike_vee 12-02-20 03:57 PM

Latest additions

5 Attachment(s)
1. Poppy Scotland 2013

2. Diamond Jubilee 1952-2012 (I really like these pins !) :)

3. We Will Remember Them 1914-1918 (I thinks this also came with white background).

4. WWII Victory +75 - Direct from Canadian Legion Poppy Store.