British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WW1 era Welsh Guards badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41396)

3dg 27-08-14 12:13 PM

WW1 era Welsh Guards badge

Hello

Does anyone have WW1 era Welsh Guards cap badge (cap star?) that they could show me please? Are they any different to the later badges?
Also, does anyone have a WW1 era WG and leak shoulder title?

Thank you

JerryBB 27-08-14 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dg (Post 275112)
Hello

Does anyone have WW1 era Welsh Guards cap badge (cap star?) that they could show me please? Are they any different to the later badges?
Also, does anyone have a WW1 era WG and leak shoulder title?

Thank you

The Welsh Guards used the same badge throughout their history the leek, though the fitting changed, early examples use two lugs and later examples used the slider seen on the every modern versions, though perhaps the earliest WWI versions also used a slider.

I don't have an early WG cap badge but do have an early WG & leek title.

3dg 28-08-14 08:30 AM

Thank you for that, and the photo.

Frank Kelley 03-11-14 10:31 AM

Good heavens Jerry,
You have rather surprised me, I would have thought that you, of all people, would have had a good number of them!
Kind regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 275116)
The Welsh Guards used the same badge throughout their history the leek, though the fitting changed, early examples use two lugs and later examples used the slider seen on the every modern versions, though perhaps the earliest WWI versions also used a slider.

I don't have an early WG cap badge but do have an early WG & leek title.

Frank Kelley 03-11-14 10:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I am afraid that they have always been a mystery to me, you find examples that on first glance appear quite old, both die cast and die struck, on sliders and lugs.

Frank Kelley 03-11-14 11:08 AM

Then, you will get people who start talking about the shape of the roots and how spread out the leek is, all a complete mystery!:confused:

GriffMJ 03-11-14 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This might be a good candidate for a 1916 WG? Looks like its had a "last 3" stamped on the slider ...

JerryBB 03-11-14 12:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 283802)
I am afraid that they have always been a mystery to me, you find examples that on first glance appear quite old, both die cast and die struck, on sliders and lugs.

And me Frank, though I do have two now along with the AA I already had. No idea on dating these, probably both WWII ish.

Frank Kelley 03-11-14 01:55 PM

Hello Jerry,
Glad to see you have a couple, their badges are funny things really, but, they were worn, so I suppose any collector needs to have examples of them.
Kind regards Frank

JerryBB 03-11-14 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 283826)
Hello Jerry,
Glad to see you have a couple, their badges are funny things really, but, they were worn, so I suppose any collector needs to have examples of them.
Kind regards Frank

Hi Frank,

They fit in with my interest in badges for the Welsh regiments and I also have a 1960's dated cap for them and a single embroidered shoulder strap.

2747andy 03-11-14 09:25 PM

Jerry,
The WW1 badges were slidered and later patterns lugged and then returning to sliders!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=230

Andy

JerryBB 03-11-14 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2747andy (Post 283905)
Jerry,
The WW1 badges were slidered and later patterns lugged and then returning to sliders!

Andy

Andy,

That is sort of what I figured, but how do you date the two versions of the slidered type, apart from the AA version which is also slidered?

The lugged example came from you.

leigh kitchen 08-11-14 11:15 AM

The spread of the leaves on the leak will vary because some soldiers went to some lengths to get the "look" right.
Any time I show one to my father, who's now in his 90's, he still comments on how it doesn't look right & then sets about bending the thing to his taste, or rather the taste of the 1st Bn circa WWII.
One of his brothers who was in 1st & 2nd Bns 1930's / WWII gave me his old WG cap badge decades ago, first thing my father did when he saw it was start wrestling with the leaves & break off the upper lug.
That solid struck one my father declared a "proper" badge, better & more delicate looking than some WWII era ones.
According to him the lugged badges were usually adapted within 1st Bn by having the lugs replaced with sliders simply for ease of removal for cleaning.

JerryBB 08-11-14 11:32 AM

Very good and informative to get the period perspective on these, such a great insight into how the boyos looked at their badges and altered them to suit their own tastes.

KLR 08-11-14 01:46 PM

I looked up the WO details for the WG a few years ago for Andy and I'm sure he won't mind if I reproduce it here

Pattern 8387/1915 slider
Pattern 10906/1936 loops
List of Changes 1951 slider
Pattern 16023/1953 slider moved up 1/4 inch to allow badge to sit lower in the cap

The WO directives are often inconsistent like this, some major changes are made without new "Pattern nos" issued and vice versa !!

(if any one is really fanatic I can supply the day and month for these changes !)