British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Army Departments and Corps Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   General List, does it still exist? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67469)

3dg 14-04-18 08:43 AM

General List, does it still exist?

Hello,
Does the General List still exist for Officers?
If so,are the Royal coat of Arms still worn.
What is worn on the beret? Wire bullion?
And what is worn on the service dress hat, bronze, gilt?
If its no longer in existence, what were the last badges worn please?
Thank you all in advance for your time and help.

3dg
l

Alan O 14-04-18 12:54 PM

It exists in principle. However whilst the GS cap badge is worn by Juniors in basic training, and I have seen it in use, I have never seen it ever worn by an Officer.

54Bty 14-04-18 03:36 PM

The bronze Cap and Collar badges are still available through the JSP, if they are worn or not I do not know.

Marc

3dg 15-04-18 11:10 AM

Thank you for reply's.
Excuse my ignorance, what is JSP please?
Does anyone have examples of these badges please?

Thank you

54Bty 15-04-18 11:13 AM

The whole system of getting items through stores changed and items are listed in the relevant Joint Service Publication.

Marc

CAM 15-04-18 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dg (Post 441010)
Hello,
Does the General List still exist for Officers?
If so,are the Royal coat of Arms still worn.
What is worn on the beret? Wire bullion?
And what is worn on the service dress hat, bronze, gilt?
If its no longer in existence, what were the last badges worn please?
Thank you all in advance for your time and help.

3dg
l

I tried to find a something that I posted previously but cannot find it. This does not directly answer your question but shows that you can never say never.

When I was at Theatre Troops we had an SO2 vacancy that was filled by an FTRS officer. He was an ex RAF Sqn Ldr and was posted in as an Army officer. He did not know which capbadge to wear so as an interim measure he wore a OR General Service capbadge in his beret.

Chris

3dg 15-04-18 04:26 PM

Thanks Chris, interesting stuff.
Ian Kelly badges has a wire coat of arms claiming it to be General List?
I've trawled the net and cannot find anything about if the General List still exists for Officers not part of a Regiment or Unit??
Odd one
Also, I remember when I was in 88 to 2002, on our Squadron Office door, 1989 ish, there was a poster with all the badges on it, there was a gilt, if memory is correct, Coat of Arms badge for General List, and an anodised one for GSC.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this one.
Appreciated all the replys so far

Alan O 15-04-18 04:49 PM

The wire coat of arms is fantasy. No one wears the badge as every Army officer is commissioned into a Corps or Regt so there is no need for anyone to use the general list badge anymore.

3dg 15-04-18 05:22 PM

Thank you for reply.
When did the General List cease to exist then?
90's?
Were the last badges worn bronze ones or gilt?
Strange as they, as Marc says, they are on the jsp?

Eddie Parks 15-04-18 05:31 PM

Weeeeell. When I passed through RMAS in 66-68 there were a very few officers who completed the course but who failed to persuade any regiment to accept them. They were, as I recall, commissioned on the General List, but I have no idea how they were employed?

Eddie

Alan O 15-04-18 05:46 PM

The general list still exists - it's just no one is ever directly commissioned in to it any more.

If any RMAS cadet can't find a regt to take them then they get made an offer to go into the RLC or RAMC admin branch or where ever there is a space.

Eddie Parks 15-04-18 07:19 PM

double post, sorry

grey_green_acorn 15-04-18 09:28 PM

More info on the current General Service cap badge worn by some recruits during initial training here http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=32439

Tim

grey_green_acorn 15-04-18 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gilt General List collar badges:

Tim

grey_green_acorn 16-04-18 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The smaller General List collar badges in gilt:

Tim