British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Record Price for A/A Cap Badge? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71942)

hagwalther 31-01-19 11:32 PM

Record Price for A/A Cap Badge?
 
Hi Guys,

Lot, 63:

https://www.bosleys.co.uk/en-GB/30th.../auction_10018

Lot 95 was up there too.

Regards,

Chris

slick_mick 31-01-19 11:57 PM

WOW! 700 for Lot 63.

Mick

hagwalther 01-02-19 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick_mick (Post 467235)
WOW! 700 for Lot 63.

Mick


Yeah,

Plus commission, postage and anything else Bosley's can think to add on too!

Chris

William 01-02-19 06:51 AM

It wasn't me!

I put in what I thought was a huge postal bid for this excellent and rare AA badge, but it wasn't enough. The winner was in the sale room.

Congratulations, sir!

William

Sonofacqms 01-02-19 08:40 AM

A/A Surrey Yeomanry
 
Could anyone tell me exactly why this badge is described as "rare", I am not a big fan of anodised badges, but surely these were issued during the 1950-60's or is this another badge that was rejected by those it was made for and they carried on wearing G/M or W/M badges?

Rob

GriffMJ 01-02-19 08:55 AM

There is a Caernarvon & Denbigh Yeo AA cap badge on a Buy it Now for 275... cough!

Sonofacqms 01-02-19 09:11 AM

A/A Surrey Yeomanry
 
I expect everyone will be turning out their A/A Yeomanry badges now in the hope of selling them for these prices, still I suppose they are worth what someone is prepared to pay as are all collectables.

Rob

hagwalther 01-02-19 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 467256)
Could anyone tell me exactly why this badge is described as "rare", I am not a big fan of anodised badges, but surely these were issued during the 1950-60's or is this another badge that was rejected by those it was made for and they carried on wearing G/M or W/M badges?

Rob

Rob,

In cap badge size it was officially authorised for issue. During my research in early 2010's I was never able to obtain an example from any collector or museum source. Therefore, as per its KC version also authorised for issue, I made a note that:

'... although authorised for issue the badge is not thought to have been bulk manufactured...'

I was flagged and shown an example about 12 months ago and this was the first one found in the collecting community.

It is rare because it is well, rare as are many other A/A cap badges.

Regards,

Chris

hagwalther 01-02-19 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 467261)
I expect everyone will be turning out their A/A Yeomanry badges now in the hope of selling them for these prices, still I suppose they are worth what someone is prepared to pay as are all collectables.

Rob

The beret size badge is obviously smaller and sells for 25GBP. I expect some collectors will be disappointed when they realise the difference between the two.

Regards,

Chris

Sonofacqms 01-02-19 11:26 AM

Chris, many thanks for your reply on the Surrey Yeomanry, what is the size of the beret badge?

Rob

MarkGD 01-02-19 11:52 AM

Chaps, just as an aside, it seemed to me that the prices realised were generally higher than normal, thoughts? i did bid on a couple of items, but both immediately went north of 100 pounds. Regards Mark

Alan O 01-02-19 12:22 PM

I blame the publication of an authoritative book on a/a badges that has reinvigorated interest in staybrite badges. :D

MarkGD 01-02-19 12:29 PM

Very good :D

gb64 01-02-19 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGD (Post 467273)
Chaps, just as an aside, it seemed to me that the prices realised were generally higher than normal, thoughts? i did bid on a couple of items, but both immediately went north of 100 pounds. Regards Mark

I agree Mark, I lost out on the 3 I bid on by quite a way and my bids weren’t shy by any means :eek: and the badges weren’t holy grail rare as hens teeth ones, not by a long way, I’ve seen them all on eBay in the past and just missed out but not by 160.00 plus :eek::eek:. Plenty of money around still for sure;)

Gerard

Sonofacqms 01-02-19 02:28 PM

It's finished!
 
Several years ago I was talking to an old dealer in George Street, Hastings which no doubt some members may remember his name, it escapes me, but anyhow he told me that badge collecting had finished.

If he's still around I would love to hear his comments on badge prices . . !

Rob

alan g 01-02-19 02:45 PM

If there is only a small difference in size between the 2 badges I suspect a lot of people are checking what they already have!!

Sonofacqms 01-02-19 02:52 PM

Sussex Yeomanry A/A
 
If I remember correctly a dealer called J. Hankin who lived in South London was selling these for 5/- each back in the sixties and early seventies, where are they now . . !

(That's 25p each by today's prices)

Rob

altcar73 01-02-19 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 467300)
If I remember correctly a dealer called J. Hankin who lived in South London was selling these for 5/- each back in the sixties and early seventies, where are they now . . !

(That's 25p each by today's prices)

Rob

John R. Hankin,
84 The Green,
Morden,
Surrey

Never mind the badges, I wonder where John is now?

Dave.

Mike H 01-02-19 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan g (Post 467299)
If there is only a small difference in size between the 2 badges I suspect a lot of people are checking what they already have!!

5mm in height Alan,if you have them side by side you can clearly see the size difference.
Ive had a very close look at them both and the only difference besides the size is the position of the join between the two scrolls at the end.
Whereas if you compare the Essex Yeo cap and beret or the LSH theres a huge difference that you would notice immediately.

alan g 01-02-19 07:38 PM

So have you got both Mike ?

hagwalther 01-02-19 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 467269)
Chris, many thanks for your reply on the Surrey Yeomanry, what is the size of the beret badge?

Rob

Hi Rob,

It is:

31.30 x 42.30mm
weight 4.60g.

Regards,

Chris

hagwalther 01-02-19 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 467279)
I blame the publication of an authoritative book on a/a badges that has reinvigorated interest in staybrite badges. :D

The cheque is in the post...

Regards,

Chris

hagwalther 01-02-19 08:16 PM

Hi Guys,

Point on this badge which was raised via a PM to me. Both crown types have pattern No.s which implies that some badges were made in A/A for sample and then used in pattern cards.

However, beware that some A/A pattern cards were in fact previously issued GM/WM cards 'promoted' for A/A use.

Therefore, either this (these) badges could have come from a pattern card and never batch manufactured which makes them very rare or, an initial batch was in fact manufactured but due to small difference in size have not been really noticed yet by the collecting community.

Recomment we all check what we have...

Pattern No. for KC is: 14832
Pattern No. for QC is: 17611

Regards,

Chris

Alan O 01-02-19 08:45 PM

From IWM

1. badge, card, seal badge: within the Garter surmounted by a king's crown the cypher of Queen Mary; below a scroll inscribed Queen Mary's Regiment Surrey Yeomanry; badge in white metal, slider in gilding metal card: Inspectorate of Clothing Ministry of Supply Pattern No. 15068 Spec. No. UK/CIC/208B Cat. No. CB 2853 Standard (Working deleted) Pattern; inscribed, Badges, Cap Surrey Yeomanry - Small - WM (To guide for Anodised Aluminium Cat No CB 3300); approved by DOS 9-6-1952; authority given as ENC 44 to 54/Officers/4051 (ORD 17) IC/C/1197; signed CA Bird; stamped 11 JUL 1952 at base seal: the shield of the Arms of the Board of Ordnance encircled Chief Inspector

2. badge, card, seal badge: within the Garter surmounted by a king's crown the cypher of Queen Mary; below a scroll inscribed Queen Mary's Regiment Surrey Yeomanry; badge in white metal, slider in gilding metal card: Inspectorate of Clothing Ministry of Supply Pattern No. 14832 Spec. No. UK/CIC/208B Cat. No. CB 2875 Pattern; inscribed, Badges, Cap Surrey Yeomanry (Large WM) To guide for Anodised Aluminium Spec UK/CIC/2124 Cat No CB 3299; approved by D of OS 15-1-1952; authority given as ENC 44 to 54/Offrs/4051 (ORD 17) IC/C/1197; signed CA Bird; stamped 5 FEB 1952 at base seal: the shield of the Arms of the Board of Ordnance encircled Chief Inspector

Alan O 01-02-19 08:54 PM

So the question is why 2 sizes? One for beret (small) worn in the beret. One (large) for the peaked cap - generally not worn by ORs in the 1950s so the only large ones are from s/p cards and not universal issue would explain the rarity.

Mike H 01-02-19 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan g (Post 467363)
So have you got both Mike ?

No Alan i dont. I never knew the larger existed until a few months ago. I know of one other ,which i presume is still in the possession of the owner .
It was one of two know yeomanry badges in a/a that i didnt have,the other being the large Pembroke Yeomanry badge.

Alan O 01-02-19 09:25 PM

There was one on ebay last month.

Mike H 01-02-19 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 467386)
There was one on ebay last month.

One of what Alan ,a Pembroke Yeomanry cap badge or the beret badge ?

hagwalther 01-02-19 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 467381)
So the question is why 2 sizes? One for beret (small) worn in the beret. One (large) for the peaked cap - generally not worn by ORs in the 1950s so the only large ones are from s/p cards and not universal issue would explain the rarity.

Dunno Alan but the KC A/A large version was actually listed in the List of Changes (LoC) together with a WM version under the same change for Surrey Yeomanry (298 Field Regt., R.A.) as an INTRODUCTION. This all dated 30th April 1952 under change C 4946. A/A version was CB (early NSN) No. 3299 and WM No. 2875.

These KC badges are also referenced under under the following LoC changes:

C 5161 - Surrey Yeomanry, small, INTRODUCTION (dated in 31st Oct 1952 - again, in the KC era)

C 8798 - 298 Field Regt., R.A. Surrey Yeomanry, NEW PATTERN of the St. Edwards Crown piece dated 31st Oct 1958 making the KC badges obsolete. The change went on to say that the larger St. Edwards badge was CB 8066 and the smaller CB 8067)



Regards,

Chris

Alan O 01-02-19 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 467387)
One of what Alan ,a Pembroke Yeomanry cap badge or the beret badge ?

Large Surrey Yeomanry cap badge,

Alan O 01-02-19 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagwalther (Post 467389)
Dunno Alan but the KC A/A large version was actually listed in the List of Changes (LoC) together with a WM version under the same change for Surrey Yeomanry (298 Field Regt., R.A.) as an INTRODUCTION. This all dated 30th April 1952 under change C 4946. A/A version was CB (early NSN) No. 3299 and WM No. 2875.

These KC badges are also referenced under under the following LoC changes:

C 5161 - Surrey Yeomanry, small, INTRODUCTION (dated in 31st Oct 1952 - again, in the KC era)

C 8798 - 298 Field Regt., R.A. Surrey Yeomanry, NEW PATTERN of the St. Edwards Crown piece dated 31st Oct 1958 making the KC badges obsolete. The change went on to say that the larger St. Edwards badge was CB 8066 and the smaller CB 8067)



Regards,

Chris

I think they do relate to the types of hat worn. The waters are muddied by the prolific restriking of q/c yeomanry badges in the early 1970s.

Mike H 01-02-19 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 467390)
Large Surrey Yeomanry cap badge,

If it was a/a ,then that makes 3 known examples.

Alan O 01-02-19 09:38 PM

No my error - it was large Essex Yeo on ebay. 166,

hagwalther 01-02-19 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 467392)
If it was a/a ,then that makes 3 known examples.

I think if everyone checked their Surrey Yeomanry badges a few more may pop up.

Regards,

Chris

Mike H 01-02-19 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 467393)
No my error - it was large Essex Yeo on ebay. 166,

Thats not a bad price tbh, last one Bosleys had went for 600 . They dont come up very often.

Mike H 01-02-19 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagwalther (Post 467394)
I think if everyone checked their Surrey Yeomanry badges a few more may pop up.

Regards,

Chris

Very possible Chris.

Alan,I presume that most Yeomanry regts would have held a number of sets of No1 dress for ceremonial use. So they would have had caps to go with them.

Sonofacqms 01-02-19 10:22 PM

Chris, thanks for the information on dimensions

Dave, I have no idea where Mr Hankin is, from memory he sold army badges and I think police items, I did buy a few bits from him.

Rob

hagwalther 01-02-19 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 467404)
Chris, thanks for the information on dimensions

Dave, I have no idea where Mr Hankin is, from memory he sold army badges and I think police items, I did buy a few bits from him.

Rob

Anytime Rob but there maybe a time delay in replying.

Regards,

Chris

alan g 07-03-19 07:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Another variation on the large badge , different die no maker mark
Regards
Alan

Frank Kelley 09-03-19 06:04 PM

Truly amazing.:eek:


Quote:

Originally Posted by hagwalther (Post 467234)
Hi Guys,

Lot, 63:

https://www.bosleys.co.uk/en-GB/30th.../auction_10018

Lot 95 was up there too.

Regards,

Chris



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.