British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Indian Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   44th Indian Cavalry badge?? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87382)

bill badger 18-11-21 02:47 PM

44th Indian Cavalry badge??

2 Attachment(s)
Good Afternoon,

Can anyone confirm whether the badge that I have attached a photo of is in fact the 44th Indian Army cavalry? If so is it the cap or collar badge. I am not sure of its value as I have found quite a number of British Indian Army badges difficult to price. Does anyone know of a good on line reference point for Hyderabad Army badges and such like?

Many thanks Bill

Wmr-RHB 18-11-21 07:13 PM

There was 44th Cavalry 1918-1919 and there was the same designation 1941-1943.

Which one should it be?

To me it looks as if there are holes punched/drilled through the crown instead of decent voiding.

bill badger 19-11-21 10:40 AM

Thanks for the information and the reply. I don't know which of the two periods you mention the badge is part of.

gurkharifles 19-11-21 11:00 AM

Hi Bill - The Regt was formed in Egypt in 1918 and disbanded in 1919. The cap and collars look identical and should be in silver or white metal. It was re-raised in 1941 before being disbanded again in 1943 - according to Ashok Nath's "Izzat" - the badge design in WW2 was very similar - and looking at the photos I would say your badge ( if genuine ) dates to the WW2 period - the crown is very slightly different to the WW1 version. There is a 44th Armoured Regt in the current Pakistan Army raised in 1981 - and although the badge pays "homage" to the war raised units badge its very clearly a Pakistan Army badge.
Tim

bill badger 19-11-21 02:01 PM

Hello Tim. Thank you so much for your very detailed comments on my cavalry badge. I do have quite a number of Hyderabad Indian Army cap badges that are somewhat hard to value. Do you know of any good sources of information in that regard?

Kind regards
Bill

gurkharifles 19-11-21 03:25 PM

Hi Bill - the Indian States forces are less collected than the British Indian Army badges - that being said, there are still collectors of Indian States badges and like any field of our hobby - prices depend on condition and rarity. The Hyderabad states forces being one of the largest have over 100 badges identified in "The Maharaja's Pathans" the definitive works on the insignia of the Indian States forces - If you post some photos of the badges I can help you identify them. As for prices you can look at dealers sites for clues - although you may struggle to find many - Artic Medals have a few on their Indian section https://www.arcticmedals.com/page/page/3727538.htm

I don't suppose you have any Gurkha badges that you're looking to move on? Tim

bill badger 19-11-21 05:03 PM

Hi Tim

Thanks again for another very informative reply. I have looked at the Arctic Medals site as you suggested. Definitely a good starting point price wise.

However I am currently stocktaking my collection so I will certainly take you up on your kind offer of help in identifying anything that I genuinely struggle with.
I''ll pop any photos on this thread if I may as and when I come across them.

As regards Gurkha badges I do have a very varied collection and I will again try to put to one side any I discover for picturing so you can have a look.

Thanks again Bill.

Ben Bevan 19-11-21 09:11 PM

Coincidentally Ashok Nath has just placed a 44th Cavalry badge on Ebay for your info. and comparison.

bill badger 19-11-21 09:20 PM

Many thanks Ben. That's a good spot!

gurkharifles 20-11-21 10:09 AM

Bill - PM sent

bill badger 20-11-21 03:40 PM

Tim,

Just to let you know I haven't yet received your private message in my inbox.

Cheers Bill

cbuehler 22-12-21 04:30 PM

I would say the badge in question is more likely a collar as it is exceptionally small. Regarding the voids in the crown, they are not drilled, but cast that way and are very typical in style.

CB