British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Opinion on Household Division Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74861)

L1A1 08-08-19 01:34 PM

Opinion on Household Division Badges

10 Attachment(s)
Hello all.

Have recently received some badges, which were part of my Father's collection.

I would like your opinion on whether they are authentic or copies. Also, if they are the genuine item, I would like an indication of a realistic price for them as I am considering selling some of them. Of course, they will be offered first to members of this esteemed Forum.

Any assistance etc would be most appreciated

Regards

Ron

manchesters 08-08-19 01:57 PM

First 2 groups and last group are all genuine. Cant help on prices.

As for the Household Cavalry and MG badges I am unsure from photos, but several doubtful.

regards

L1A1 08-08-19 10:34 PM

Thank you Simon, much appreciated.

billy 09-08-19 12:50 AM

Valise badges £35 on average but have seen higher, fortunately acquired what I have a lot less than that! Good luck, billy

Frank Kelley 09-08-19 07:02 AM

You would normally expect to pay a little more for an original Welsh Guards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy (Post 485719)
Valise badges £35 on average but have seen higher, fortunately acquired what I have a lot less than that! Good luck, billy

Alex Rice 09-08-19 07:16 AM

Second group, Welsh Guards badge at the top is doubtful. I believe (from the forum) that they should have a slider and there should be 2 small tabs below where the lugs on your one are, which are there to hold the red backing in place.
Cheers,
Alex

Frank Kelley 09-08-19 07:26 AM

That would be a badge worn on the helmet for Foreign Service rather than a Valise badge worn in Greatcoat Order with Home Service Full Dress.
They have, unfortunately, been done to death over the years and original example are actually quite scarce.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 485728)
Second group, Welsh Guards badge at the top is doubtful. I believe (from the forum) that they should have a slider and there should be 2 small tabs below where the lugs on your one are, which are there to hold the red backing in place.
Cheers,
Alex

magpie 09-08-19 09:50 AM

You are unlikely to see a real 1&2 Life Guards .

L1A1 09-08-19 12:21 PM

Thank you gentleman, your input is most appreciated. This isn't really my area of collecting so am learning a lot.

L1A1 09-08-19 12:22 PM

Just a thought, would it help if I posted some individual close up pictures of the 'doubtful' badges?

Frank Kelley 09-08-19 06:48 PM

Yes, it would.

Quote:

Originally Posted by L1A1 (Post 485748)
Just a thought, would it help if I posted some individual close up pictures of the 'doubtful' badges?

Alex Rice 10-08-19 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 485729)
That would be a badge worn on the helmet for Foreign Service rather than a Valise badge worn in Greatcoat Order with Home Service Full Dress.
They have, unfortunately, been done to death over the years and original example are actually quite scarce.

Hi Frank
Yes, exactly, thanks. I should have been more specific. I believe this is a copy of one of those badges.
Cheers,
Alex

John Mulcahy 10-08-19 09:21 AM

The large GM Star of St Patrick in the first image is very likely to be a re-struck 4th D.G/ I.G undress sabretache star. A better image would help.

John

Alan O 10-08-19 10:18 AM

The Guard MG badges are spurious. The lugged ones are clearly wrong as they were made with sliders.

L1A1 10-08-19 01:16 PM

15 Attachment(s)
Thank you gents for the info.

The fake Machine Gun badges have already been sent to my fake/copy box.

I have attached photos of some of the disputed badges, hope this helps.

Regards

Ron